The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student1256
why do you say so? why do you not recommend doing more than 2-3 timed past papers?

One big mistake I did last yr was to skip the questions which I couldn't do during the mock. And this creates a bad habit. Your main focus should be problem-solving.
Can you solve a question or not. This is the most factor to consider at this stage. Practice makes perfect but in STEP you must make sure that you know how to solve a problem. If you cannot get the ans then see the solution(after trying really hard) and then try to do the question after 3~4 days. All the best
can anyone help me with this? I've sketched the function for odd and even values of s but I still have no idea...
Original post by Slewis99
can anyone help me with this? I've sketched the function for odd and even values of s but I still have no idea...

Looking at the area under the curve in terms of rectangles of unit length is where I'd start.
Original post by Drogo Baggins
The timed papers give you practice at choosing 6 questions, and doing the questions under time pressure. It is good to do at least one of these.

However what will get you really good at STEP is trying all the questions on a paper, so that you try ones that you might be put off if doing them under exam conditions.
I'd somewhat disagree (although in a sense it depends what you mean by "good at STEP".) Forcing your way through all the questions is what gets you able to do STEP questions, but most people will also need to focus on time management and question choice if they want to be able to get 6 questions out in 3 hours. Certainly my own personal experience (with the Tripos, to be fair) is that doing questions while consciously "pushing for speed" is beneficial. (You can also do this outside of "doing mock papers", of course, but the whole "concentrate for 3 hours, choose wisely, don't panic when you spend an hour on one question that dosn't come out" practice is also worthwhile, I think).

Experience of a wide range of questions will mean that you have more choice when you sit the real thing, and there is a temptation when doing timed papers to just do the ones you think will be easy (ish) :-)
Agreed, but although obviously you "pick the easy ones" when doing a paper under timed conditions, that doesn't mean you shouldn't go through the other questions on the paper afterwards - and I would say that you absolutely should.

I think it's also reasonable to decide there are one or two topics you almost certainly won't do - as long as it's just one or two, and not "I'm only doing pure, and I won't do vectors or complex numbers" (a mindset that seems all too common on TSR). 6 questions from 13 gives a fair degree of room for maneuver, and for STEP III in particular, I think it's hard to justify studying some of the M4/S4 type topics just (i.e. when you're not studying them for the FM A-level) so you might possibly be able to answer a STEP question on them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello guys,

Would it be too late to start preparing for STEP I in late Feb / early March? I'm only taking STEP I and I am taking the exams or have taken the exams for the modules required for the STEP I (C1-4, M1-2, S1-2).
Original post by Chittesh14
Hello guys,

Would it be too late to start preparing for STEP I in late Feb / early March? I'm only taking STEP I and I am taking the exams or have taken the exams for the modules required for the STEP I (C1-4, M1-2, S1-2).

That should be fine (although I would always recommend starting as early as possible!). Have you covered C3 or C4 yet? One of the problems can be that students have not met some of the calculus needed to attempt STEP questions early enough.

If it would be helpful, I can scan through the STEP support modules and work out which ones introduce the chain rule, integration by substitution etc.
That should be fine (although I would always recommend starting as early as possible!). Have you covered C3 or C4 yet? One of the problems can be that students have not met some of the calculus needed to attempt STEP questions early enough.

If it would be helpful, I can scan through the STEP support modules and work out which ones introduce the chain rule, integration by substitution etc.

Thank you. Yeah, I done it last year but not properly - I'm recapping C3,4 now so will be done with it by around early January. Moving onto FP2 after that :biggrin:.
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the STEP support modules, just for further revision after I've recapped integration.
Hi all,

We are currently thinking about what to do next with the STEP Support programme. Since September we have written solutions to the Mixed STEP I questions and have filled in the gaps on a lot of the Foundation Module solutions.

One idea I have had is to provide solutions to a set of "Mock papers" (2016 or 2017), along the lines of the solutions we have already done (so thoughts, discussions etc not just the bare solution). We could maybe publish this in May half term and then take it down after the exams.

Any thoughts? I know some people don't like solutions to questions from recent papers being on the site! Also it would mean writing full solutions etc to almost 40 STEP questions, so would take quite a lot of time (which could be used to do other things).

Anything else we should be doing (baring in mind we are a very small team!)
Hi all,

We are currently thinking about what to do next with the STEP Support programme. Since September we have written solutions to the Mixed STEP I questions and have filled in the gaps on a lot of the Foundation Module solutions.

One idea I have had is to provide solutions to a set of "Mock papers" (2016 or 2017), along the lines of the solutions we have already done (so thoughts, discussions etc not just the bare solution). We could maybe publish this in May half term and then take it down after the exams.

Any thoughts? I know some people don't like solutions to questions from recent papers being on the site! Also it would mean writing full solutions etc to almost 40 STEP questions, so would take quite a lot of time (which could be used to do other things).

That sounds amazing, but odds are you wouldn't get feedback right now - as I'm sure you're aware, we are all yet to receive offers from Cambridge, and aspiring students of other universities are in the minority. I'd assume you'd gather better information after the 10th.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Enigmatically
That sounds amazing, but odds are you wouldn't get feedback right now - as I'm sure you're aware, we are all yet to receive offers from Cambridge, and aspiring students of other students are in the minority. I'd assume you'd gather better information after the 10th.

Yep, I am aware that STEP is probably the last thing people want to think about just now :-)

I've got a lot on Jan/Feb/March and a bit of a lull for the next two weeks which I am using to try and plan a few next steps. Thought I would put out a feeler just in case anyone was listening.

Hope everyone manages to have a bit of a relax over Christmas!
Hi all,

Any thoughts? I know some people don't like solutions to questions from recent papers being on the site! Maybe go back a bit further (to avoid 2016/2017). You might also want to consider explicitly picking "exceptionally hard" years - I think there are useful points to be made about not panicking, question selection (and the desirability of not limiting yourself to the pure questions!). And I suspect a lot fewer people will mind having a "horror paper" potentially spoiled by solution discussion.

I'm sure I (and a few others on here) could possibly provide some help as well.
Original post by DFranklin
Maybe go back a bit further (to avoid 2016/2017). You might also want to consider explicitly picking "exceptionally hard" years - I think there are useful points to be made about not panicking, question selection (and the desirability of not limiting yourself to the pure questions!). And I suspect a lot fewer people will mind having a "horror paper" potentially spoiled by solution discussion.

I'm sure I (and a few others on here) could possibly provide some help as well.

Cheers. Looking back at the grade boundaries it looks like 2014 was hard for STEP I and STEP III, and 2015 was hard for STEP II (and STEP I again).

I'll think about this idea a bit more, and maybe ask some of the first years here what they think. It depends a bit how students want to use something like this - if they want a set of fully worked solutions (i.e. fuller than the Exam board solutions and mark schemes) so that they can self evaluate a "Mock" exam then I would have thought a later exam would be better. However if they want to use it as a "Pre-Mock" (what ever that is) then a slightly earlier one would be best.
Cheers. Looking back at the grade boundaries it looks like 2014 was hard for STEP I and STEP III, and 2015 was hard for STEP II (and STEP I again).

I'll think about this idea a bit more, and maybe ask some of the first years here what they think. It depends a bit how students want to use something like this - if they want a set of fully worked solutions (i.e. fuller than the Exam board solutions and mark schemes) so that they can self evaluate a "Mock" exam then I would have thought a later exam would be better. However if they want to use it as a "Pre-Mock" (what ever that is) then a slightly earlier one would be best.

I’ve got a different idea. Plenty of us on TSR should be able to help someone stuck on pretty much any STEP question, and have been for a number of years. Instead of detailed solutions, how about further beefing up the resources for those parts of the A level syllabus people find hard and are thus unpopular? Vectors, geometry and complex numbers spring to mind.

Some (detailed) notes on these topics with detailed hints and discussion for all past STEP questions in these areas would be most welcome I’m sure. We need to get people focusing on these, not leas5 because they’re probably the most useful bits of the A level syllabus for first year undergraduates. Getting more people confident in these areas would be a massive win and is something I doubt a TSR user could dedicate the time to produce - ie it’s pronanly ideal for you :smile:

Thanks for everything you do to support students through STEP!
Hi all,

I think that would be quite useful close to the exams- in May like you say. Perhaps a few more questions on each S2 &3 modules? Although I haven't started them yet the modules seem to be a lot smaller than the S1 ones, but this is presumably because the S1 modules were designed to guide you, with the preparation etc?
Reply 314
Original post by shamika
I’ve got a different idea. Plenty of us on TSR should be able to help someone stuck on pretty much any STEP question, and have been for a number of years. Instead of detailed solutions, how about further beefing up the resources for those parts of the A level syllabus people find hard and are thus unpopular? Vectors, geometry and complex numbers spring to mind.

Some (detailed) notes on these topics with detailed hints and discussion for all past STEP questions in these areas would be most welcome I’m sure. We need to get people focusing on these, not leas5 because they’re probably the most useful bits of the A level syllabus for first year undergraduates. Getting more people confident in these areas would be a massive win and is something I doubt a TSR user could dedicate the time to produce - ie it’s pronanly ideal for you :smile:

Thanks for everything you do to support students through STEP!

Big +1 for this. Students already have access to solutions and help with questions, from TSR solution threads, to mark-by-mark breakdown markschemes to examiners solutions. Spending a significant amount of time preparing a detailed markscheme for one or two years of STEP that will only be useful to a (relatively) small number of students in a relatively small time-frame (a month or so before the exam) is very small marginal gain for a large time investment.

This idea is useful to a relatively larger batch of students (anybody from Year 12 onwards) and useful throughout the entire cycle rather than just pre-exam. Also agree with the list of topics that A-Level students find hard and often put little effort into at STEP. Perhaps include some STEP-specific stats resources (STEP stats & probability has a rather different feel to what A-Level students learn and are used to), given that candidates often neglect that section and miss some of the gifts that crop up in there, not to mention that it'd make a good intro to the Tripos Probability IA course.
Original post by mrmonkey99
I think that would be quite useful close to the exams- in May like you say. Perhaps a few more questions on each S2 &3 modules? Although I haven't started them yet the modules seem to be a lot smaller than the S1 ones, but this is presumably because the S1 modules were designed to guide you, with the preparation etc?

There are 4 STEP questions on each STEP II/III module rather than the 1 per foundation module, but there isn't the preparation and puzzles which make them seem shorter. The Foundation modules are meant to build up your STEP skills slowly before hitting the STEP II/III lot.

I might make a "mixed" module for STEP II (which STEP III has).
Original post by Zacken
Big +1 for this. Students already have access to solutions and help with questions, from TSR solution threads, to mark-by-mark breakdown markschemes to examiners solutions. Spending a significant amount of time preparing a detailed markscheme for one or two years of STEP that will only be useful to a (relatively) small number of students in a relatively small time-frame (a month or so before the exam) is very small marginal gain for a large time investment.

This idea is useful to a relatively larger batch of students (anybody from Year 12 onwards) and useful throughout the entire cycle rather than just pre-exam. Also agree with the list of topics that A-Level students find hard and often put little effort into at STEP. Perhaps include some STEP-specific stats resources (STEP stats & probability has a rather different feel to what A-Level students learn and are used to), given that candidates often neglect that section and miss some of the gifts that crop up in there, not to mention that it'd make a good intro to the Tripos Probability IA course.

Thanks everyone for their comments, I'll hang fire on the Mock exam for now and look into expanding the note for Complex numbers etc. If there is a sudden outcry of support for worked solutions for a Mock then I will revisit the idea :-)

The other thing I need to do is start preparing for the change in STEP syllabus next year.
Thanks everyone for their comments, I'll hang fire on the Mock exam for now and look into expanding the note for Complex numbers etc. If there is a sudden outcry of support for worked solutions for a Mock then I will revisit the idea :-)

The other thing I need to do is start preparing for the change in STEP syllabus next year.

Have fun with mechanics - not sure how that’ll work with the new syllabus having so little in the single A level... (it’ll be interesting to see how much Part IA changes at Cambridge, and similarly for other good unis as a result of the new syllabus).
Original post by shamika
Have fun with mechanics - not sure how that’ll work with the new syllabus having so little in the single A level... (it’ll be interesting to see how much Part IA changes at Cambridge, and similarly for other good unis as a result of the new syllabus).

The new STEP specs have not been completely finalised yet, but when they have I will let everyone know what the plan is. There will be some changes (such as STEP I, STEP II and STEP III having different specs to each other). There will be some mechanics still in STEP I (stats is actually more of a problem :-) )

At some point I mean to have a look through the A-level F maths specs and see what the different module combinations look like.
Hey guys, I was watching a video on a STEP question and ran into some confusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZDwRMmYBe0

Around 16:50 he discusses the idea of f(x) = x^-3, and f(t) = t^-3, can anyone shed some light on this? I don't understand why

Latest

Trending

Trending