Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

STEP Prep Thread 2018 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physics Enemy)
    P1-P3 was similar to C1-C4, but you had a few proofs e.g.) diff by 1st principles, irrationality, summations + 1-2 extra chapters. Exams were a bit harder. Main change was ditching M3/S3 in A-Level Maths.

It was pre-reform to core in 06/07, can't do it anymore. There was P1-P6, M1-M6, S1-S5. Further Maths had topics like group theory, ricatti eqns, extra conics etc. Exams were a bit harder too.
    Makes me wonder why the hell it changed, A level maths is more or less the pure we do now in up to further. Sounds like it covers step far better than it does now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomahawker314)
    Makes me wonder why the hell it changed, A level maths is more or less the pure we do now in up to further. Sounds like it covers step far better than it does now
    Yes lol, P1-P5 and M1-M3 is enough for STEP 3 now, just 8 modules. I don't know if they trimmed STEP content a bit due to the reforms.

A-Level Maths + AS FM was deffo enough for STEP 3 back then tho (P1-P5 + M1-M4 or P1-P6 and M1-M3). I'm sure these people got STEP 2/3 offers too.

If there was an A* then it would've been a good discriminator, having to get 90%+ across those.

On STEP, apparently they're reforming it due to linear reforms and full FM being compulsory for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    No. You don't get any kind of formula sheet etc either.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm doing maths @ Leeds in September and I'm looking to hit the ground running so I've just started to get myself back into the swing of things. How would you best recommend preparing for university mathematics? I've started by doing some STEP I/II I was wondering if there was anything you'd recommend doing before going to university or should I just stick to STEP? I'm a bit hesitant about starting to do STEP III papers yet as A2 further maths was by far my weakest area as it was all self taught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitchb777dotcom)
    Hey guys, I'm doing maths @ Leeds in September and I'm looking to hit the ground running so I've just started to get myself back into the swing of things. How would you best recommend preparing for university mathematics? I've started by doing some STEP I/II I was wondering if there was anything you'd recommend doing before going to university or should I just stick to STEP? I'm a bit hesitant about starting to do STEP III papers yet as A2 further maths was by far my weakest area as it was all self taught.
    This is a good example sheet to try: http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/stcs...tory_sheet.pdf

Other resources are here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4190871

Pick whatever tickles your fancy, the important thing is to have fun with what you do, don't force yourself to do some maths because you think it'll be helpful. I'm not entirely sure that STEP will be the most useful thing compared to just learning new maths, but I'm only accustomed to dealing with Cambridge mathmos who have already done STEP, so your mileage may very well vary. That said, you should find something suitable in the second link.

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to those taking their first steps towards the STEP exams! Been about four years since taking them -- haven't revisited those memories for a while. Good to see this is still going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)

We have the ne '****ing hell zain calm down son like a new iphones come out w STEP Prep 2018 thread here, please post anything regarding STEP on that thread from now on. Thanks!

Lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys this year I applied to Sidney Sussex college for maths at Cambridge, my conditional offer was the standard A*A*A with 1,1 in step II and III. I achieved the step grades however the exam pressure and all the focus on Step got to me because my A-level results came back as A*AC (an A* in single maths, A in further maths and a C in physics). This caused me to miss my offer and my application was rejected. I am thinking of reapplying but I'm not quite sure what to do next as this whole situation came by quite fast as a surprise. I'm really hoping if someone who has been in a similar situation could give me some advice as to what I should do on my year off? Would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillygoose123)
    Hi guys this year I applied to Sidney Sussex college for maths at Cambridge, my conditional offer was the standard A*A*A with 1,1 in step II and III. I achieved the step grades however the exam pressure and all the focus on Step got to me because my A-level results came back as A*AC (an A* in single maths, A in further maths and a C in physics). This caused me to miss my offer and my application was rejected. I am thinking of reapplying but I'm not quite sure what to do next as this whole situation came by quite fast as a surprise. I'm really hoping if someone who has been in a similar situation could give me some advice as to what I should do on my year off? Would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
    What did you get in STEP? Also Cambridge doesn't really like more than 1 or 2 module resits.

What is your insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    What did you get in STEP? Also Cambridge doesn't really like more than 1 or 2 module resits.

What is your insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got 85 in step 2 and 72 in step 3 which are both grade 1. Imperial was my insurancecl but idk if they'll take me given my A-level mess up.

ReputationRep:
    What is Cambridge playing at... they're taking 2,2's but rejecting 1,1's because of silly A-Level scores. The best thing you could do at this stage is look at a few colleges you like the look of and email their DoS's about your situation and what chance you'd stand if you applied, some replies will be generic messages, some will discourage you from applying and others will actively encourage you to, so it's definitely worth a go.

ReputationRep:
    What is Cambridge playing at... they're taking 2,2's but rejecting 1,1's because of silly A-Level scores. The best thing you could do at this stage is look at a few colleges you like the look of and email their DoS's about your situation and what chance you'd stand if you applied, some replies will be generic messages, some will discourage you from applying and others will actively encourage you to, so it's definitely worth a go.
    In the AEA thread I said STEP should come with a certificate and UCAS points (like AEA), few agreed. This scenario illustrates why my suggestion was sound. Cam likely rejected him due to how his points/grades look vis-a-vis league tables etc.

For his own sake it'd be good to do some resits and another A-Level for a strong set of grades. Will hold him in good stead, mentally and for future prospects.

Coincidentally, there was an IMO silver medallist who got the same A-Levels (and an extra B in Additional FM). Luckily, Cam's offer was AAB + STEP back then.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I got 85 in step 2 and 72 in step 3 which are both grade 1. Imperial was my insurancecl but idk if they'll take me given my A-level mess up.
    I'm v surprised tbh. Which college was this? Other universities tend to stricter about their A-level requirements but usually STEP is by far the most important thing for Cambridge.

Have Cambridge definitely rejected you? And is Imperial still showing as conditional? If so, send Imperial your STEP marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I'm v surprised tbh. Which college was this? Other universities tend to stricter about their A-level requirements but usually STEP is by far the most important thing for Cambridge.

Have Cambridge definitely rejected you? And is Imperial still showing as conditional? If so, send Imperial your STEP marks.
    Yes I have been rejected, I have sent imperial my marks but I haven't heard back. I'm thinking of reapplying to Cambridge seeing as I made step grades but now I'm kinda clueless as to what to do for a year.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have been rejected, I have sent imperial my marks but I haven't heard back. I'm thinking of reapplying to Cambridge seeing as I made step grades but now I'm kinda clueless as to what to do for a year.
    It does seem ridiculous that they would reject you on the basis of some meaningless Physics A Level and (likely) instead take someone else who missed their STEP grades. I would say reapplying is a good option but the main reason why I didn't even look into reapplying was because I didn't want to take a whole year out. Depends how satisfied you are with going to Imperial instead I guess (assuming they take you).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    So Imperial is still Conditional? Call them asap! (Probably too late tonight...)

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    It does seem ridiculous that they would reject you on the basis of some meaningless Physics A Level and (likely) instead take someone else who missed their STEP grades. I would say reapplying is a good option but the main reason why I didn't even look into reapplying was because I didn't want to take a whole year out. Depends how satisfied you are with going to Imperial instead I guess (assuming they take you).
    He didn't get A* in Further Maths either btw. I'd be surprised if IC accepted him, they're rigid.

If quals didn't matter, they'd just use STEP; it counts for less than some think. With 22 you'd often get in if your grades/app are sound. Missing the grades is a no-no.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    He didn't get A* in Further Maths either btw. I'd be surprised if IC accepted him, they're rigid.

If quals didn't matter, they'd just use STEP; it counts for less than some think. With 22 you'd often get in if your grades/app are sound.
    Yes agreed normally, but in this case why haven't they rejected already...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Year 10 (soon Year 11). I have gone through a few A-level modules (C1, C2 and M1) and will be doing SMC next year (hopefully BMO1, BMO2 and IMO as well). I tried a STEP I paper and could answer five of the questions fully. Do you people think that it's worth having a go at STEP I in Year 11 or waiting another year or two? I gather STEP isn't until the summer, so I'll have time to prepare.

ReputationRep:

If quals didn't matter, they'd just use STEP; it counts for less than some think. With 22 you'd often get in if your grades/app are sound. Missing the grades is a no-no.
    Oh woops, read it as A*A*C. My bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.