The Student Room Group

Calling the runners!

I've been running for years now, and absolutely love it. It got me from playing half a game in football to going full seasons playing the full 90.

However, I've always done more short and intense routes with a few sprints thrown in as opposed to going long-distance.

I've now decided to up my mileage, and my current 'long' run is 5 miles...needless to say it leaves my legs fried afterwards. How often would you recommend I do the 5 miler in order to see steady improvements in endurance? I've got once a week in my mind, but I'd prefer an answer from someone used to running longer distances.
You might find interval runs more useful. Basically run at a fast pace (the sort you'd use if you were running an 800m race) for about a minute, then jog or walk for a minute, then repeat.

Personally, I do a 5k every week, a 1-hour gym session a week (about 20-30 minutes of that is cardio, mostly interval stuff) and a 30-40 minute swim a week. For me, that's enough to keep my 5k within the 20-21 minute range. But different people will respond differently to training.
How much time are you spending doing other running? When I'm training for a half marathon I'll do a longer run once a week or once a fortnight.

The one thing I really struggled with when running longer distances was to slow down. I would still try and run at the same pace I was running 5k, just expecting to get a bit better each time, and would burn out so quick. If you haven't already, try running at what feels like a really slow pace (and be strict with yourself) and see how you get on. Then over time start to bring the pace up bit by bit whilst maintaining a good distance.
Getting aerobically fit is all about quantity over quality. Best (though not obligatory) to forget about intervals until you have an intention of racing and have run multiple times per week for a few months. Among serious amateur athletes, I get the impression many are willing to run hard, but not often enough. This keeps the potential sub 16 minute 5k runners well away from said potential.

If 5 miles is your long run at the moment, run it once a week very easy and supplement it with at least two 3 mile runs, also very easy, per week.
Original post by CJ
How much time are you spending doing other running? When I'm training for a half marathon I'll do a longer run once a week or once a fortnight.

The one thing I really struggled with when running longer distances was to slow down. I would still try and run at the same pace I was running 5k, just expecting to get a bit better each time, and would burn out so quick. If you haven't already, try running at what feels like a really slow pace (and be strict with yourself) and see how you get on. Then over time start to bring the pace up bit by bit whilst maintaining a good distance.

I'll normally do 3-4 days on and 1 day off (often equates to 6 days a week). I think I may be having the same issue, running the same pace for 5 miles as I would 3. I'll be sure to give going slower a go, though.

Thanks for your help.
Original post by TheMindGarage
You might find interval runs more useful. Basically run at a fast pace (the sort you'd use if you were running an 800m race) for about a minute, then jog or walk for a minute, then repeat.

Personally, I do a 5k every week, a 1-hour gym session a week (about 20-30 minutes of that is cardio, mostly interval stuff) and a 30-40 minute swim a week. For me, that's enough to keep my 5k within the 20-21 minute range. But different people will respond differently to training.

Interesting. I already throw in sprints for some fartlek elements in my 3 mile route - it's great that you can do so little and get such a good time, however I don't think I'd fair so well from that sort of volume.

Thanks for your help.
Original post by rockrunride
Getting aerobically fit is all about quantity over quality. Best (though not obligatory) to forget about intervals until you have an intention of racing and have run multiple times per week for a few months. Among serious amateur athletes, I get the impression many are willing to run hard, but not often enough. This keeps the potential sub 16 minute 5k runners well away from said potential.

If 5 miles is your long run at the moment, run it once a week very easy and supplement it with at least two 3 mile runs, also very easy, per week.

Thanks mate!
Reply 7
Original post by harrythomas14
I've been running for years now, and absolutely love it. It got me from playing half a game in football to going full seasons playing the full 90.

However, I've always done more short and intense routes with a few sprints thrown in as opposed to going long-distance.

I've now decided to up my mileage, and my current 'long' run is 5 miles...needless to say it leaves my legs fried afterwards. How often would you recommend I do the 5 miler in order to see steady improvements in endurance? I've got once a week in my mind, but I'd prefer an answer from someone used to running longer distances.

Do "long runs" perhaps twice a week. Then maybe do your short-medium runs three times a week.

Try timing your runs too, it can give you motivation to push yourself which will help you become fitter.

Always push your limits too, like you mention a long run is 5 miles. Next week try 5.5 miles, even if you can't quite make it and have to walk for a bit, it still makes a huge difference.
Original post by zKlown
Do "long runs" perhaps twice a week. Then maybe do your short-medium runs three times a week.

Try timing your runs too, it can give you motivation to push yourself which will help you become fitter.

Always push your limits too, like you mention a long run is 5 miles. Next week try 5.5 miles, even if you can't quite make it and have to walk for a bit, it still makes a huge difference.

Yeah definitely, I'm already timing and find it does help a great deal - cheers!
Original post by harrythomas14

Start with a 3 mile run instead and once you get comfortable with that do a 4 Mile and once you get comfortable with that do a 5 mile. It's a long process but it works, just don't rush it and go at your own pace. And i would try running 2 or 3 times a week, but leave a day in between each run. So if you run on Monday don't run on Tuesday, but run on Wednesday
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by olivia_c_321
Start with a 3 mile run instead and once you get comfortable with that do a 4 Mile and once you get comfortable with that do a 5 mile. It's a long process but it works, just don't rush it and go at your own pace. And i would try running 2 or 3 times a week, but leave a day in between each run. So if you run on Monday don't run on Tuesday, but run on Wednesday

I've found it's pretty much a game of building up, really. Thanks for the training advice!
Build up and don't overcook it, I've booked my first ultra marathon and 3 weeks ago I went for a 27 mile long run the morning after a 5k PB at parkrun, I'm just about starting to be able to run again now, it's that easy as a runner to derail a good training segment!

Quick Reply

Latest