Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Vegan Protein Powder? (complete protein) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I'm slowly becoming more of a vegan, and as such, I want to buy some vegan protein powders.

Are there any anyone could recommend to me?

Is this a complete protein source?

Or should I go for something like sun warriors blend?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Hi.

I'm slowly becoming more of a vegan, and as such, I want to buy some vegan protein powders.

I quite like The Protein Works, their powder is not too expensive and it tastes really nice. Not tried the vegan ones but the reviews still look very good.

ReputationRep:
    Protein Works chocolate soy is my go to. You can get the blend if you want but I just make sure I get good chunks of protein from sources other than soy every day then don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    The myprotein Vegan blend is okay but you definitely need to flavour it with something (e.g. the flavour drops they do) as on its own it tastes bad (think grass or cardboard). I haven't tried the vegan protein from the Protein Works, but as it includes soy protein it probably tastes a lot better than the myprotein blend. Also I recommend the Protein Works in general. I would say that you probably should get a blend rather than just soy protein as you want to get your protein from a variety of sources. Either myprotein or the Protein Works vegan ranges should suit - don't waste your money on a brand that is specifically marketed towards vegans, you're not getting anything more for your money.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

That product has a warning "May also contain gluten, soy, milk and egg" ??

It'll be a complete protein because of the varied sources. Generally, rice and peas though individually missing one or more of the essential amino acids, combined contain the full set.

I'm not vegan so haven't any experience or specific product advice but I've seen people recommend nettle based powders.

ReputationRep:
    Soy is bad for you. Just drink the ****ing milk protein, milk cows don't have a terrible life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Soy is bad for you. Just drink the ****ing milk protein, milk cows don't have a terrible life.
    Sadly that's very far from the truth..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howinteresting)
    Sadly that's very far from the truth..
    Which part?

The cows here in Switzerland have a massage device.

ReputationRep:
    Which part?

The cows here in Switzerland have a massage device.
    So do you think massaging devices excuse them from an entire life of misery? It might be a good idea to inform yourself about the dairy/veal industry in various other parts of the world where dairy products from Switzerland aren't widely available. Regardless of the fact that the cows may have had a more 'humane' treatment, the dairy cows are instantly separated from their children so that us humans get their milk instead which is cruel in itself. Many times the male babies are sent off as veal because they're useless to the dairy industry which is one of the few many reason why vegans don't want to contribute to this cruelty when there are plenty of cruelty-free alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howinteresting)
    So do you think massaging devices excuse them from an entire life of misery? It might be a good idea to inform yourself about the dairy/veal industry in various other parts of the world where dairy products from Switzerland aren't widely available. Regardless of the fact that the cows may have had a more 'humane' treatment, the dairy cows are instantly separated from their children so that us humans get their milk instead which is cruel in itself. Many times the male babies are sent off as veal because they're useless to the dairy industry which is one of the few many reason why vegans don't want to contribute to this cruelty when there are plenty of cruelty-free alternatives.
    Is it cruel? Every time scientists can show that certain types of animals (elephants most prominently) show signs of grief or empathy it's a big thing. Do those cows really feel that terrible their young are taken away?

And with regards to eating meat in the first place - we aren't the only species that does that.

You are quite right, some animals are treated abhorrently, but in general I don't feel that is reason enough to become vegan for moral reasons, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Steve82

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    That product has a warning "May also contain gluten, soy, milk and egg" ??

It'll be a complete protein because of the varied sources. Generally, rice and peas though individually missing one or more of the essential amino acids, combined contain the full set.

I'm not vegan so haven't any experience or specific product advice but I've seen people recommend nettle based powders.
    The disclaimer is as it's made in the same facility as other products containing those allergens. The product itself is vegan safe.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I've been vegan for 4-5 years, and run a youtube fitness channel.

Vegan protein is superior to whey if you know what to get.

If you want the best of the best, then you need to go to Vivolife: http://bit.ly/2w1VhFT

Vivolife's products contain all of the protein and BCAA's along with a slew of other health promoting benefits. They are by far the best. I use their 'Sustain' and 'Perform' products religiously.

If you're on more of a budget and don't care too much about taste then MyProtein has a number of vegan blend proteins and vegan BCAA's.

Well done on making the best choice for your health, your athletic performance and the planet.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Also in addition to my other comment I would advise against soy based proteins. Vivolife doesn't contain soy. Pea protein is my favorite and blends with hemp and/or brown rice protein are generally the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steve82)
    Also in addition to my other comment I would advise against soy based proteins. Vivolife doesn't contain soy. Pea protein is my favorite and blends with hemp and/or brown rice protein are generally the best.
    Indeed.

But sorry, Vivolife is way too expensive. 250% of my whey, and myprotein looks qualitatively inferior, and has gotten pretty terrible reviews.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Indeed.

But sorry, Vivolife is way too expensive. 250% of my whey, and myprotein looks qualitatively inferior, and has gotten pretty terrible reviews.
    You get what you pay for. Vivolife uses quality ingredients, are healthy, support your immune system and give you energy. They're worth the price if you can afford them.

Myprotein vegan supplements are not inferior in quality. They're basic in terms of ingredients, but they do the job. If you're on a budget this is the place to go. Their vegan blend unflavoured protein and unflavoured pea proteins taste horrific but are great quality products at a low price. Their vegan BCAA's are also cheap, high quality but taste horrible.

A lot of negative reviews stem from taste and are reviewed by some noob that has less than a year - most likely less than a months - training experience.

Whey is gross, often filled with sweeteners and other filth. Health should always be top of the agenda when looking for supplements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steve82)
    You get what you pay for. Vivolife uses quality ingredients, are healthy, support your immune system and give you energy. They're worth the price if you can afford them.

Myprotein vegan supplements are not inferior in quality. They're basic in terms of ingredients, but they do the job. If you're on a budget this is the place to go. Their vegan blend unflavoured protein and unflavoured pea proteins taste horrific but are great quality products at a low price. Their vegan BCAA's are also cheap, high quality but taste horrible.

A lot of negative reviews stem from taste and are reviewed by some noob that has less than a year - most likely less than a months - training experience.

Whey is gross, often filled with sweeteners and other filth. Health should always be top of the agenda when looking for supplements.
    I have tried several different tastes from two highly rated products, I like the taste, and found some that are not too sweet. This criticism is bias.

I suppose you are right, but 250% of what I pay now is not something I find suitable.

I have looked for options and maybe I will try a different product, on Amazon (German one) there seem to be a few alternatives that look good but aren't too expensive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.