Jeremy Corbyn: I never said we would write off student debt. Watch

Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-poli...f-student-debt

Jeremy Corbyn admits he was 'unaware' of size of student debt when he pledged to 'deal with it'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...llion-student/

Hmmm...

Whiskey&Freedom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The cap on tuition fees needs to be lifted. Let the market determine the rate. If you are hard working you will get a well paid job and have no problem paying the debt.
mysticmagic2000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Absolute knob! I said during the general election that you couldn't trust Corbyn and I was right. The longer he talks ******** the longer the Conservatives are in power. How are the left wing idiots going to support their leader now?
The Asian Tory
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought his proposition was that he wanted to eliminate the student fee and make it available fee free and he wanted to restructure older student loan debt so students can pay it back easier...
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dodgypirate)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-poli...f-student-debt

Jeremy Corbyn admits he was 'unaware' of size of student debt when he pledged to 'deal with it'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...llion-student/

Hmmm...

This is why I could never vote for Labour with Corbyn at the helm. He has shown a severe lack of leadership qualities during his time as leader. While he is good at promising the world and appealing to the "right" crowd, he just doesn't have the ability to run the country; proven by this most recent revelation that he had no idea about the severity of the student debt situation. Riiiight. People need to wake up and realise that Corbyn is just another politician, he has a spin doctor like the rest of them to ensure that his image of the "people's politician" is upheld. He's no different from all the other career politicians in my opinion. The conservatives are in a no better situation if you ask me, with May as their leader. Politics in this country looks seemingly doomed. We need a leader, and fast.
The Asian Tory
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
The cap on tuition fees needs to be lifted. Let the market determine the rate. If you are hard working you will get a well paid job and have no problem paying the debt.
Tuition fees devolved to the market to determine the price (compounded interest incurred) of individualised courses to send signals to students where future growth industries and jobs lay via the pricing system.
Castro Saint
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nothing has changed? Fuss over nothing as usual. If people were expecting their debts to be wiped they should have read the manifesto.
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cubone-r)
This is why I could never vote for Labour with Corbyn at the helm. He has shown a severe lack of leadership qualities during his time as leader. While he is good at promising the world and appealing to the "right" crowd, he just doesn't have the ability to run the country; proven by this most recent revelation that he had no idea about the severity of the student debt situation. Riiiight. People need to wake up and realise that Corbyn is just another politician, he has a spin doctor like the rest of them to ensure that his image of the "people's politician" is upheld. He's no different from all the other career politicians in my opinion. The conservatives are in a no better situation if you ask me, with May as their leader. Politics in this country looks seemingly doomed. We need a leader, and fast.
This man...

Attachment 676110
The Asian Tory
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mysticmagic2000)
Absolute knob! I said during the general election that you couldn't trust Corbyn and I was right. The longer he talks ******** the longer the Conservatives are in power. How are the left wing idiots going to support their leader now?
Yet they want the voting age to be lowered to 16 thus artificially increasing the lefts vote share (under the guise that the youth are geniuses)...
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Castro Saint)
Nothing has changed? Fuss over nothing as usual. If people were expecting their debts to be wiped to they should have read the manifesto.
Even better, they could've read the Communist Manifesto.
Castro Saint
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dodgypirate)
Even better, they could've read the Communist Manifesto.
The Labour party is not a communist party.

Furthermore hell yeah people should read the Communist manifesto. Maybe then people would actually know what Communism is lol.
mysticmagic2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The Asian Tory)
Yet they want the voting age to be lowered to 16 thus artificially increasing the lefts vote share (under the guise that the youth are geniuses)...
The youth aren't geniuses - they have unfortunately been deluded by Corbyn by his flawed, malicious lies!
The Asian Tory
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Furthermore hell yeah people should read the Communist manifesto. Maybe then people would actually know what Communism is lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lCcFjRhiaw
Dodgypirate
Rep:
?

Corbyn is.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought his proposition was that he wanted to eliminate the student fee and make it available fee free and he wanted to restructure older student loan debt so students can pay it back easier...
More or less, but it was portrayed by the media of all sides of the political spectrum in such an ambiguous manner that it looked like he was going to wipe prior 'student debt' as well as future.

Labour Manifesto
HIGHER EDUCATION

Labour believes education should be free, and we will restore this principle. No one should be put off educating themselves for lack of money or through fear of debt. There is a real fear that students are being priced out of university education. Last year saw the steepest fall in university applications for 30 years. Since the Conservatives came to power, university tuition fees have been trebled to over £9,000 a year, and maintenance grants have been abolished and replaced with loans. The average student now graduates from university, and starts their working life, with debts of £44,000. Labour will reintroduce maintenance grants for university students, and we will abolish university tuition fees. University tuition is free in many northern European countries, and under a Labour government it will be free here too.
The Asian Tory
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The youth aren't geniuses - they have unfortunately been deluded by Corbyn by his flawed, malicious lies!
Exactly my point. They vote for whom ever their parents and/or friend are voting for.
cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's always the lib dems...
The Asian Tory
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ns_2)
More or less, but it was portrayed by the media of all sides of the political spectrum in such an ambiguous manner that it looked like he was going to wipe prior 'student debt' as well as future.

Labour Manifesto
HIGHER EDUCATION

Labour believes education should be free, and we will restore this principle. No one should be put off educating themselves for lack of money or through fear of debt. There is a real fear that students are being priced out of university education. Last year saw the steepest fall in university applications for 30 years. Since the Conservatives came to power, university tuition fees have been trebled to over £9,000 a year, and maintenance grants have been abolished and replaced with loans. The average student now graduates from university, and starts their working life, with debts of £44,000. Labour will reintroduce maintenance grants for university students, and we will abolish university tuition fees. University tuition is free in many northern European countries, and under a Labour government it will be free here too.
The manifesto does not mention that he would abolish it though.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The manifesto does not mention that he would abolish it though.
Exactly; however, many people are likely to have voted for Labour based on media representation - only passionate supporters, and journalists, would have read the manifesto.
The Asian Tory
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cbreef)
There's always the lib dems...
The Lib dems diminished in value after Deputy PM Clegg .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (128)
27.71%
1 (69)
14.94%
2 (71)
15.37%
3 (74)
16.02%
4 (37)
8.01%
5 (30)
6.49%