Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Man, 20, dies following police pursuit. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Your first post implied blm supporters froth at the mouth and get excited when things like this happen because it means they get to riot/play victim/etc
    Not sure about froth at the mouth, but yes many BLM activists do get rather exercised at the slightest hint of controversy involving a person of colour, you'd accept that I'm sure. Naturally, these sentiments do not exist in a vacuum, however, there has been a lot of brutality/injustice that has led us to this point. That said, there have also been manipulators at work, as indicated in my OP

I thought it was wrong to generalise groups based on the actions of a few?
    Naw. That's pseudoprogressive dogma of cultural Marxists who wish to disempower various societal groups and civilisations. It also flies in the face of evolution. It's morally questionable to judge individuals purely on the basis of prejudicial views (stereotypes etc), and criminal to unlawfully discriminate on the basis of such generalisations, but to discern patterns, commit them to memory, form concordant judgements, and to be prepared to act accordingly, is not only acceptable but entirely human and often useful (as a survival mechanism, quite apart from anything else). It's what sets us apart from now extinct protohuman lines, who failed to adapt to environmental/tribal threats :yy:

ReputationRep:
    he swallowed the drugs he was being chased for and overdosed... I hope the UK doesn't turn out like America 🙄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    He may have swallowed the drug or whatever it was, but he was conscious prior to the police officer throwing him on the floor and putting him in a choke hold so strong that he passed out and never regained consciousness
    No he made it to the hospital and died later from an "overdose"... stop trying to make the UK America

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    So you admit he might have swallowed a pill (potentially a drug of some sort)! How are you going to deny that this might have killed him (overdose)??

He was declared dead at hospital, might I add.
    They say that he was trying to put something in his mouth. Nobody knows that it was. Yes it could have been a drug, but it could also have been something else. It's still uncertain. What we do know for certain is that a police officer was seen sitting on his chest, and applying pressure to his neck. Do you think that it's just a coincidence that he wound up unconcious whilst he was was being choked? I don't see how you can say he overdosed when you don't know what was in his mouth. You said that we should wait for the IPCC to come to a conclusion, but clearly you've already made your mind up about what happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E102)
    No he made it to the hospital and died later from an "overdose"... stop trying to make the UK America
    Nowhere does it say that he died from an overdose, so stop making things up.

I'm not trying to make the UK America, but don't try and be sly by putting it all down to an overdose. If someone sat on your chest and choked you for two minutes, you would fall into unconsciousness too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    He died in hospital.

My dear, do use your common sense.
    What does that have to do with anything?! So because he was declared dead at hospital, that means that the cause of death couldn't have been due to the police officers actions? You're the one who needs to use their common sense love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    How do you know it did not kill him? Have you performed the autopsy? I would like an in depth explanation on how you're sure This man died of choking and why he possibly couldn't of died by ingesting whatever drug he swallowed, please.

This is why people can't take you seriously. You're jumping to conclusions and avoiding any possibly explanation which doesn't support your anti-police/victim playing view.
    You should copy this and send it to everyone claiming he died from an overdose despite the fact that nobody knows what was in his mouth or the quantity

ReputationRep:
    You should copy this and send it to everyone claiming he died from an overdose despite the fact that nobody knows what was in his mouth or the quantity
    They're not the ones accusing a potentially innocent police officer of murder without knowing the facts.

ReputationRep:
    They're not the ones accusing a potentially innocent police officer of murder without knowing the facts.
    But they are the ones accusing a potentially innocent man of fatally overdosing on illegal drugs without knowing the facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
    He shouldn't have put something in his mouth then. Typical criminal.
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Gets what he deserves, if you avoid the law you should be prepared for the consequences
    They deserve consequences sure, but death? Surely not.

ReputationRep:
    But they are the ones accusing a potentially innocent man of fatally overdosing on illegal drugs without knowing the facts.
    And you seriously think that is comparable? :lol: ****ing hell.

Also, not sure if you're noticed, but they are the ones who have been suggested we actually wait for the reports on his death before jumping to conclusions. Whereas, the blm brigade...

ReputationRep:
    And you seriously think that is comparable? :lol: ****ing hell.

Also, not sure if you're noticed, but they are the ones who have been suggested we actually wait for the reports on his death before jumping to conclusions. Whereas, the blm brigade...
    Of course it is comparable. They are jumping to potentially dangerous conclusions. Why is that funny? How would you feel if your loved one was accused of killing themselves without ruling out the possibility that someone else might have killed them? A member of the law enforcement might I add.

They are hypocrites for suggesting we wait for further investigation whilst coming up with their own conclusions. Who mentioned BLM?

ReputationRep:
    In situations like this, you learn a lot more about the public's inherent view on black people, more than corruption within the police force.Police brutality, or the use of excessive force, is not news, at least, not to black people - who are imprisoned and receive longer sentences for the same crimes as their white counterparts.

But.. No point debating, it is what it is. Sheer lack of empathy is always depressing.

I think when you've grown up in particular areas in London, you can understand the environment children are subjected to that essentially leads them on the path. This notion that these people/criminals are inherently bad and the Met Police are inherently good, is quite... Never mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredom101)
    I personally don't think its fair to call BLM activists muppets. Majority of the time they are fighting for injustice. Of course you will have some that are more extreme than others but that is in every pressure group.
    BLM seem more like a hate group to me and there have been many instances of violence. Their bad behaviour has been excused because they are black. This cases appears to involve a seasoned criminal (at 20!) who killed himself because he didn't want to deal with the consequences of his actions. Nobody would give a damn if he was white, which is slightly disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    BLM seem more like a hate group to me and there have been many instances of violence. Their bad behaviour has been excused because they are black. This cases appears to involve a seasoned criminal (at 20!) who killed himself because he didn't want to deal with the consequences of his actions. Nobody would give a damn if he was white, which is slightly disturbing.
    He killed himself did he? So you will just the video of the police officer sitting on his chest and choking him into unconsciousness? Of course people will act like that didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Gets what he deserves, if you avoid the law you should be prepared for the consequences
    Surely death is a bit extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    In situations like this, you learn a lot more about the public's inherent view on black people, more than corruption within the police force.Police brutality, or the use of excessive force, is not news, at least, not to black people - who are imprisoned and receive longer sentences for the same crimes as their white counterparts.

But.. No point debating, it is what it is. Sheer lack of empathy is always depressing.

I think when you've grown up in particular areas in London, you can understand the environment children are subjected to that essentially leads them on the path. This notion that these people/criminals are inherently bad and the Met Police are inherently good, is quite... Never mind.
    I'm sure there is racism in the police, but I can't imagine every police officer is racist. Assuming racism in every case involving a black person is bigoted in itself. Black people are probably more likely to come from a poor background, so more likely to be involved in crime.

An article from The Guardian does say there is a disparity, but I found this line interesting:

"One cultural difference, Done said, is a "greater propensity for black young people not to plead guilty than white young people". Black youths consequently received longer sentences because credit is given for early guilty pleas."

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2011...entences-study

I think you get about 1/3 off your sentence if you plead guilty, so that could account for at least some of the disparity. I've also read that black people are more likely to resist arrest, which wouldn't help in sentencing. I'm sure there is racism, but it isn't always as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    I'm sure there is racism in the police, but I can't imagine every police officer is racist. Assuming racism in every case involving a black person is bigoted in itself. Black people are probably more likely to come from a poor background, so more likely to be involved in crime.

An article from The Guardian does say there is a disparity, but I found this line interesting:

"One cultural difference, Done said, is a "greater propensity for black young people not to plead guilty than white young people". Black youths consequently received longer sentences because credit is given for early guilty pleas."

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2011...entences-study

I think you get about 1/3 off your sentence if you plead guilty, so that could account for at least some of the disparity. I've also read that black people are more likely to resist arrest, which wouldn't help in sentencing. I'm sure there is racism, but it isn't always as simple as that.
    Not seeking a debate on racism. Often the presence of racism is acknowledged and then followed with a "but".

I was merely highlighting lack of empathy towards criminal, especially those of ethnic minorities.

Have a great day.

ReputationRep:
    What does that have to do with anything?! So because he was declared dead at hospital, that means that the cause of death couldn't have been due to the police officers actions? You're the one who needs to use their common sense love.
    I'm saying you are far too quick to blame the police. You clearly have an agenda.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is comparable. They are jumping to potentially dangerous conclusions. Why is that funny? How would you feel if your loved one was accused of killing themselves without ruling out the possibility that someone else might have killed them? A member of the law enforcement might I add.

They are hypocrites for suggesting we wait for further investigation whilst coming up with their own conclusions. Who mentioned BLM?
    Hypocrites?!

It's called due process.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.