Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Man, 20, dies following police pursuit. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    A medic provided support before the ambulance arrived, I would guess that ambulances are protocol.
    The point is that all of this happened after he fell ill, when he should've received medical attention as soon as the officer suspected he had swallowed drugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    I've applied to be one, so I will be dealing with these sorts of people on daily basis if I graduate.
    Ehh, don't worry, most people are nothing like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    The point is that all of this happened after he fell ill, when he should've received medical attention as soon as the officer suspected he had swallowed drugs
    How do you know that? The BBC article doesn't say when the force medic arrived or at what point the ambulance was called.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that? The BBC article doesn't say when the force medic arrived or at what point the ambulance was called.
    "The Independent Police Complaints Commission, said Mr Charles “became unwell” and first aid was provided by a police officer, police medics and paramedics."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.sta...521.html%3famp

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to be one, so I will be dealing with these sorts of people on daily basis if I graduate.
    WHat do you study?

ReputationRep:
    "The Independent Police Complaints Commission, said Mr Charles “became unwell” and first aid was provided by a police officer, police medics and paramedics."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.sta...521.html%3famp
    That still doesn't provide a timeline of events.

ReputationRep:
    Brave decision, not so much because of the people you'd be dealing with (partly this of course), but the Tory cuts. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    That still doesn't provide a timeline of events.
    It stated that first aid was provided by medics after he was taken ill.
    Don't know what else you want me to say...

ReputationRep:
    WHat do you study?
    I've finished my studies at University, I meant graduate from Police College.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mashbbk)
    Brave decision, not so much because of the people you'd be dealing with (partly this of course), but the Tory cuts. Good luck!
    Thanks. I'm sure I will enjoy the challenge.

ReputationRep:
    Brave decision. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If it was that easy they would have done it.

If their duty was not to harm anyone they would never be able to do their job. So anyone that swallows something should just be left alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly.

I'm a police officer - and when I read comments like the above, it really irritates me.

It is incredibly difficult to restrain someone who is resisting. Even with two, three, four officers. If someone doesn't want to comply - the officer is going to have a very difficult time trying to put handcuffs on.

Hence why you see videos of several officers gathered around individuals are resisting, and then you see them use lawful force - for example, strikes, to get them to comply. Then, you get the "police brutality" brigade.

Until you have been an officer and arrested individuals who are resisting, I'm sorry, but you really can't comment. I've had 50+ year old women who have been an absolute nightmare to try and control; compare that to young males with strength.

Anyway - in relation to the video -

Police are duty bound to save life and limb - this includes suspects. If a suspect swallows an unknown object - officers are duty bound to save life / limb. All the officer in this video has done is attempted to stop the suspect from coming to any harm. If he had swallowed it any died, everyone would be up in arms that the officer didn't take the object out of his mouth.

Police officers are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Sad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'm sure I will enjoy the challenge.
    Best of luck

It's a great job, you'll see different things every single day and the shifts will fly by.

However, be prepared for being worked into the ground for a pittance, and for 99% of the people you deal with to despise you.

Unfortunately, it seems that it's a completely thankless job nowadays. Yesterday's shift I had worked solidly for 8 hours without a break or a sit down. I grabbed some food from a takeaway, and a customer inside said: "Day off? You should be working." I quickly ate my food and back to it, finishing 2 hours late.

You've just got to let things like that go over your head and enjoy yourself :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oneocean)
    Best of luck

It's a great job, you'll see different things every single day and the shifts will fly by.

However, be prepared for being worked into the ground for a pittance, and for 99% of the people you deal with to despise you.

Unfortunately, it seems that it's a completely thankless job nowadays. Yesterday's shift I had worked solidly for 8 hours without a break or a sit down. I grabbed some food from a takeaway, and a customer inside said: "Day off? You should be working." I quickly ate my food and back to it, finishing 2 hours late.

You've just got to let things like that go over your head and enjoy yourself :-)
    Thank you very much

I need to get my CKP first. I've applied for it and I'm expecting a response by Monday next week.

I can't wait to begin!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah good luck because you'll be dealing with morons like this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...oldrashan/amp/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oneocean)
    Best of luck

No idea why people have no respect for police officers these days. Seems like the public is constantly looking for a way to be outraged at everything you and your colleagues do. To be frank, I wouldn't have the balls to do the job you do! There's only so much gratitude I can show to you on a forum, but thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Update: An item removed from his airways was not a controlled substance, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has found. It did not reveal what the item was but said it was awaiting the preliminary results of a post-mortem examination, which was carried out on Monday. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc...s/amp/40806597

ReputationRep:
    He didn't swallow drugs.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/892844703061864448

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    He didn't swallow drugs.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/892844703061864448
    This definitely means the officer killed him.

Prepare the lynch mob!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIGJohnson777)
    He was a gangster and a drug-dealer who was arrested numerous times and only was getting away because of his links to organised crime. And tbh police wouldn't just go up to a person and shoot them dead unless they genuinely believe that the person presents a danger. Just like with Michael Brown, a lot for some reason side with criminals and not with those who protect decent people.
    Just because you wear a uniform doesn't mean you aren't a thug/criminal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.