Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Man, 20, dies following police pursuit. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Update: An item removed from his airways was not a controlled substance, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has found. It did not reveal what the item was but said it was awaiting the preliminary results of a post-mortem examination, which was carried out on Monday. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc...s/amp/40806597
    Interesting, we shall have to wait for the post-mortem then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    "Rational-minded BLM supporters"??

Really??
    Hi there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oneocean)
    Exactly.

I'm a police officer - and when I read comments like the above, it really irritates me.

It is incredibly difficult to restrain someone who is resisting. Even with two, three, four officers. If someone doesn't want to comply - the officer is going to have a very difficult time trying to put handcuffs on.

Hence why you see videos of several officers gathered around individuals are resisting, and then you see them use lawful force - for example, strikes, to get them to comply. Then, you get the "police brutality" brigade.

Until you have been an officer and arrested individuals who are resisting, I'm sorry, but you really can't comment. I've had 50+ year old women who have been an absolute nightmare to try and control; compare that to young males with strength.

Anyway - in relation to the video -

Police are duty bound to save life and limb - this includes suspects. If a suspect swallows an unknown object - officers are duty bound to save life / limb. All the officer in this video has done is attempted to stop the suspect from coming to any harm. If he had swallowed it any died, everyone would be up in arms that the officer didn't take the object out of his mouth.

Police officers are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Sad
    Sitting on someone's chest and choking them constitutes "attempted to stop the suspect from coming to any harm"?

ReputationRep:
    This definitely means the officer killed him.

Prepare the lynch mob!
    And you wonder why so many do not respect police officers when you are the perfect example of the kind of people that (can) become police officers.

Instead of saying "yea I was wrong to suggest he swallowed drugs and died of an overdose" or "I was a ****ing moron to keep saying 'let's wait for the coroner's report before jumping to conclusions'" you result to petty sarcasm.

Great quality for a police officer btw, never admit wrong, make fun of people. You will go far.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why the anti police brigade are considering this news a win. You do realise he still had an object (possibly illegal object) lodged in his throat/system which he put there himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Just because you wear a uniform doesn't mean you aren't a thug/criminal.

Even at times when the police use coercive force, it is done for the greater good of keeping the peace. There are of course exceptions, where police use their status in an inappropriate manner by acting grossly in excess of their powers, but this is not the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Probably had a bag of drugs ready for sale that he swallowed to get rid of the evidence, and overdosed on what he swallowed due to the quantity.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40806597

and people say racism doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIGJohnson777)
    Even at times when the police use coercive force, it is done for the greater good of keeping the peace. There are of course exceptions, where police use their status in an inappropriate manner by acting grossly in excess of their powers, but this is not the case.
    "Keeping the peace". "For the greater good".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Who has said that, and how does it relate to the article you linked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Not sure why the anti police brigade are considering this news a win. You do realise he still had an object (possibly illegal object) lodged in his throat/system which he put there himself.
    The fact of the matter is that the object was not a drug, so everyone can disregard the assumption that his death was caused by a drug overdose.

Yes he put the object in his mouth, but you don't know how it got lodged into his throat so let's not jump to conclusions yet again.

ReputationRep:

Don't try and play the racism card just because he was black, FFS. What on earth has racism got to do with this??? Someone was running from the police, they got caught, they shoved something down their throat. Whether they were black, white, green, yellow, whatever - it's a fair conclusion to jump to since it's fairly common for people to try and "destroy the evidence" in such a manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    you don't know how it got lodged into his throat so let's not jump to conclusions yet again.
    There is a fair chance it is something to do with him shoving it down his throat, as depicted on CCTV, while trying to get away, though, eh? It didn't fall in there accidentally and nobody else has been seen to have shoved it there.

ReputationRep:

It does exist. It doesn't exist in this situation.

Prove the policeman in the CCTV murdered the boy because of his skin colour.

Or maybe, this boy was a thug and the police officer was doing his ****ing job?

ReputationRep:
    Black Lives Matter is a ****ing joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Don't try and play the racism card just because he was black, FFS. What on earth has racism got to do with this??? Someone was running from the police, they got caught, they shoved something down their throat. Whether they were black, white, green, yellow, whatever - it's a fair conclusion to jump to since it's fairly common for people to try and "destroy the evidence" in such a manner.
    I'll play any card I like

The police lie to cover up their **** and this black kid is one of many data points that shows black people disproportionately suffer this kind of thing. You can try and work out why this disproportional exists, to me it seems kind of obvious racism is going to play a big part of it.

It does exist. It doesn't exist in this situation.

Prove the policeman in the CCTV murdered the boy because of his skin colour.

Or maybe, this boy was a thug and the police officer was doing his ****ing job?
    It isn't the polices job to strangle people to death.

ReputationRep:
    black people disproportionately suffer this kind of thing.
    This kind of thing? Is that death or injury while resisting arrest? Or self-inflicted choking? Or injudicious swallowing of foreign bodies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    This kind of thing? Is that death or injury while resisting arrest? Or self-inflicted choking? Or injudicious swallowing of foreign bodies?
    Disproportionate over the top police brutality, sometimes leading to death.

ReputationRep:
    Disproportionate over the top police brutality, sometimes leading to death.
    Frankly, I don't see any evidence of disproportionate police behaviour here. He ran. What do you expect the police to do in that case? Let him get away? I don't think so. He was chased and there was a struggle, inevitable if someone is trying to evade arrest. If they do that they knowingly run the risk of injury or even death, even when that is not the intention.

The best advice is to submit without a struggle and sort out any misunderstandings later, as most reasonable people would.

ReputationRep:
    I'll play any card I like

The police lie to cover up their **** and this black kid is one of many data points that shows black people disproportionately suffer this kind of thing. You can try and work out why this disproportional exists, to me it seems kind of obvious racism is going to play a big part of it.
    Honestly, how smug can you get?

I think you're just a troll. Where is the evidence that in this instance the officer targeted Rashan because he's black? Show it.

Go look at the official UK statistics for crimes by race and tell me there isn't a disproportion between the number of black UK population, especially young black men and youths, and the crime level committed by this population.

It's not rocket science. Police are likely to be more in contact with the black offenders, leading to the police to stop them in a way that is deemed disproportionate.

What's worse, in the US, the police have guns.

It isn't the polices job to strangle people to death.
    Where is the evidence the police officer in question strangled the perp to death? You're not helping anyone by making rash assumptions like this. I'm sick and tired of you now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Frankly, I don't see any evidence of disproportionate police behaviour here.
    He was choked to death...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.