Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What generation am I? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was born in June 2000, so I'm in Year 12 going into Year 13. I know they are arbitrary boundaries but what generation would everyone here consider me as being? Am I a Millennial or Generation Z? It seems like there is so much confusion about when Gen Z starts that people born from 1995 to 2002 have even been grouped into their own sub-generation - Generation K... What does everyone think? I myself am more inclined to say I'm gen Z as I fit many of the characteristics of the generation: Gen X parents, centrist views, grew up with terrorism constantly on news, etc... but it doesn't seem to be clear.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur10)
    I was born in June 2000, so I'm in Year 12 going into Year 13. I know they are arbitrary boundaries but what generation would everyone here consider me as being? Am I a Millennial or Generation Z? It seems like there is so much confusion about when Gen Z starts that people born from 1995 to 2002 have even been grouped into their own sub-generation - Generation K... What does everyone think? I myself am more inclined to say I'm gen Z as I fit many of the characteristics of the generation: Gen X parents, centrist views, grew up with terrorism constantly on news, etc... but it doesn't seem to be clear.
    You're Generation Nickelback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    You're Generation Nickelback.

ReputationRep:
    I think most people would categorise you as being a part of generation Z.
    You're right the start and end points of generations is kind of arbitrary but most people believe the millennial generation ends during the mid 90's.

ReputationRep:
    Gen Z is anyone born in 1996 or after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Gen Z is anyone born in 1996 or after.
    Yeah that's what I thought. There is just so much disagreement.

ReputationRep:
    I would say Generation Z...

Millennials (gen Y) can typically recall a part of their life which was before widespread use of the internet/WWW.

From my perspective: Of course, this all depends on many other factors, and overlap is quite possible.

Early millennials: VHS/SNES/Windows 95 (or earlier)/CRT TV's/Last students to get low uni fees/GameBoy (and colour)/Leaded Petrol/Clear memories of the 1990's/Photographic-film-cameras/No mobile phone until teenage years/S Club 7/Spice Girls/MSN messenger/Blockbuster video

Later millennials: PS2/Windows XP/Typically don't recall major events of the 90's and early 00's (i.e. they don't remember 9/11 happening)/Avid users of social media from early teen years (but not younger)/Much less likely to have experienced 4/5 channel analogue TV/Never ate Turkey Twizzlers/First generation to get higher uni fees

Anything else = Generation Z

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kernel_Coder)
    I would say Generation Z...

Millennials (gen Y) can typically recall a part of their life which was before widespread use of the internet/WWW.

From my perspective: Of course, this all depends on many other factors, and overlap is quite possible.

Early millennials: VHS/SNES/Windows 95 (or earlier)/CRT TV's/Last students to get low uni fees/GameBoy (and colour)/Leaded Petrol/Clear memories of the 1990's/Photographic-film-cameras/No mobile phone until teenage years/S Club 7/Spice Girls/MSN messenger/Blockbuster video

Later millennials: PS2/Windows XP/Typically don't recall major events of the 90's and early 00's (i.e. they don't remember 9/11 happening)/Avid users of social media from early teen years (but not younger)/Much less likely to have experienced 4/5 channel analogue TV/Never ate Turkey Twizzlers/First generation to get higher uni fees

Anything else = Generation Z
    Yeah, early Gen Z would then be stuff like Nintendo DS/Wii, PS3, Xbox 360, lots of Disney shows like Wizards of Waverly Place/That's So Raven etc... Lots of stuff spilled over from Millennials though.

ReputationRep:
    youre a millenial. WTF is it with these letter generations who comes up with them

ReputationRep:
    Da*** is Generation Z? I only know 90's and 2000's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kernel_Coder)
    But I'm probably also a Gen Z given I was born in 2000, but my first memories of a computer were of Windows 98 xD. Quickly switched to XP though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredom101)
    Da*** is Generation Z? I only know 90's and 2000's.
    Different sources say different things.. A majority say it is anyone born between 1995 and 2010.

ReputationRep:
    Different sources say different things.. A majority say it is anyone born between 1995 and 2010.
    Well, I was never good with numbers when letters came into it. So this confuses me. I'll just stick to the numbers for now thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredom101)
    Well, I was never good with numbers when letters came into it. So this confuses me. I'll just stick to the numbers for now thanks.
    Good choice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.