Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxford philosophy applicants for 2018 entry Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    So I wanted to start this thread for people interested in applying for a Philosophy joint honours degree at Oxford University. I'm personally interested in applying for philosophy and theology. It would be interesting to see how people are preparing over the summer for PS's and the philosophy test in November.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for Physics and Philosophy! How are you preparing for a potential philosophy interview? I wasn't aware of any philosophy test though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Philosophy and Theology!

I'm currently writing my PS and am virtually finished, except that I keep revisiting my starting paragraph and making large alterations. I seem to be unable to find an impactful first impression...

As far as preparation goes, i'm mainly reading...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louiss)
    I'm applying for Philosophy and Theology!

I'm currently writing my PS and am virtually finished, except that I keep revisiting my starting paragraph and making large alterations. I seem to be unable to find an impactful first impression...

As far as preparation goes, i'm mainly reading...
    Which college are you going for?
    Is your PS more about one subject than the other or is that not much of an issue seeing as there's probably more overlap with theology than physics?

ReputationRep:
    I'm keeping my college secret for the meanwhile!

I didn't really find an issue in balancing the two subjects because as mentioned there is overlap. Perhaps a good balance, would be to talk about both individually and then mention them in accordance? But of course, that's not a tried and tested formula!!

For the most part, my PS is pretty balanced regarding the two different subjects...

(Original post by t.aa)
    Which college are you going for?
    Is your PS more about one subject than the other or is that not much of an issue seeing as there's probably more overlap with theology than physics?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying Philosophy and Theology at Oriel. Since there's only one sample PHIL paper online, I have mainly been practicing critical thinking and argumentation generally.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Philosophy and Theology at Worcester College! The Philosophy admissions test looks tricky (although, some of the questions are very interesting) and I'll definitely need more than an hour.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.