The Student Room Group

A-Level Medieval History Course Work

I start college in September and one of my subjects is Medieval History. I recently spoke with the teacher for Medieval History and she said that in the second year of studying the course you do a piece of course work. She said that you can do it on anything as long as it fits in the range of Medieval - Early Modern. What I didn't get to ask was:

Can I do anything at all from that period of time? Do I choose what the subject/question is on? and Does it have to be a topic taught in class?

Anyone who has done a History A-Level or IS doing one please help!

My spec is with Edexcel but I think all history courses do coursework?

Thank you
Original post by AndrewMP
I start college in September and one of my subjects is Medieval History. I recently spoke with the teacher for Medieval History and she said that in the second year of studying the course you do a piece of course work. She said that you can do it on anything as long as it fits in the range of Medieval - Early Modern. What I didn't get to ask was:

Can I do anything at all from that period of time? Do I choose what the subject/question is on? and Does it have to be a topic taught in class?

Anyone who has done a History A-Level or IS doing one please help!

My spec is with Edexcel but I think all history courses do coursework?

Thank you

Choose a period of history which you have some background knowledge and you have a good surface level detail. It could be something you did at GCSE, in primary school or watched several documentires on. I'm going to assume you have to choose a question does edexcel provide sample questions? If not other boards provvide sample questions. These can be useful in idnetifying exactly which period you want to do.

You should then make a plan picking apart your question.

Another thing you should consider is the historigoraphy around your period. Different historians have different interpritations. For example with the question "How consitstant was Elizabeth I's foreign policy? " one argument is done by Simon Adams which says Elizabeth's froegin policy tried to premode freedom of religion while Wilson argues her foreign policy was indecisive.

My final piece of advice is be prepared to read. Read lots of sources both primary and secondary. Go to your library. Pick books relivant to your question. Read and make concise notes on them.

I'm doing history coursework for OCR currently. Picking the question is certainly the hardest thing
Reply 2
Original post by jungleseu
Choose a period of history which you have some background knowledge and you have a good surface level detail. It could be something you did at GCSE, in primary school or watched several documentires on. I'm going to assume you have to choose a question does edexcel provide sample questions? If not other boards provvide sample questions. These can be useful in idnetifying exactly which period you want to do.

You should then make a plan picking apart your question.

Another thing you should consider is the historigoraphy around your period. Different historians have different interpritations. For example with the question "How consitstant was Elizabeth I's foreign policy? " one argument is done by Simon Adams which says Elizabeth's froegin policy tried to premode freedom of religion while Wilson argues her foreign policy was indecisive.

My final piece of advice is be prepared to read. Read lots of sources both primary and secondary. Go to your library. Pick books relivant to your question. Read and make concise notes on them.

I'm doing history coursework for OCR currently. Picking the question is certainly the hardest thing

Thank you so much! This really helps.
I have a huge interest in Alchemy and was hoping to do my course work on that although the A-Level course doesn't cover anything of the sort - so you're saying when it comes to it i'll have the freedom I'm looking for?
Does that mean I'd go to my tutor with the topic and from there form my own question to answer?
Original post by AndrewMP
Thank you so much! This really helps.
I have a huge interest in Alchemy and was hoping to do my course work on that although the A-Level course doesn't cover anything of the sort - so you're saying when it comes to it i'll have the freedom I'm looking for?
Does that mean I'd go to my tutor with the topic and from there form my own question to answer?
Yes, if your teacher has told you you can do anything from medevil history to early modern you will be able to do a project on the history of alchamey, specfically medevil alchamy if you have good prior knowledge of it (or it will be easier if you have good prior knowledge). You need to choose a question very very carefully. Make sure it isn't too big. You will also need to check up the requiements of your board.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jungleseu
Yes, if your teacher has told you you can do anything from medevil history to early modern you will be able to do a project on the history of alchamey, specfically medevil alchamy if you have good prior knowledge of it (or it will be easier if you have good prior knowledge). You need to choose a question very very carefully. Make sure it isn't too big. You will also need to check up the requiements of your board.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest