Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,I'm 33 and looking to start a BA (Hons) course with the OU in October 2017. From my research, it looks like Student Finance England will pay for the tuition fees, but my questions are:Will SFE provide full funding for the 3-4 years if I choose to pursue a full-time course (what I really want) and;Is it possible to get a Maintenance Loan to cover rent and other things?The reason I ask about the Maintenance loan is that there does not appear to any concrete information about this online. SFE website at gov.uk says they pay for a maintenance loan if you're in full-time education whatever your age, but other places, like forums, etc. say the opposite as OU is classed as part-time, although these posts are from a good few years ago, so possibly not relevant now.I am currently in receipt of Universal Credit as I am self-employed but it isn't going too well and I really want to get an undergraduate degree behind me so I can go for the kinds of vacancies that are suitable to my skillset, but sadly without a degree many employers (certainly in the public sector) will not currently give me the time of day.I hope someone can help answer those questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democrability)
    Hi all,I'm 33 and looking to start a BA (Hons) course with the OU in October 2017. From my research, it looks like Student Finance England will pay for the tuition fees, but my questions are:Will SFE provide full funding for the 3-4 years if I choose to pursue a full-time course (what I really want) and;Is it possible to get a Maintenance Loan to cover rent and other things?The reason I ask about the Maintenance loan is that there does not appear to any concrete information about this online. SFE website at gov.uk says they pay for a maintenance loan if you're in full-time education whatever your age, but other places, like forums, etc. say the opposite as OU is classed as part-time, although these posts are from a good few years ago, so possibly not relevant now.I am currently in receipt of Universal Credit as I am self-employed but it isn't going too well and I really want to get an undergraduate degree behind me so I can go for the kinds of vacancies that are suitable to my skillset, but sadly without a degree many employers (certainly in the public sector) will not currently give me the time of day.I hope someone can help answer those questions.
    I don't know definitively but am pretty sure SFE will fund full-time fees at the OU.
    I believe OU study is always counted as part-time even if full-time.

From a March 2017 government response to a consultation:
    "The Government will first introduce the new part-time maintenance loan for students starting a degree level courses in attendance at a Higher Education Provider in Academic Year 2018/19. The Government intends then to extend this support to distance learning courses and Level 4 and 5 Higher Education qualifications from Academic Year 2019/20, subject to the introduction of adequate controls to ensure appropriate use is made of public money. This extension in 2019/20 is also subject to the passage of the Higher Education and Research Bill in Parliament, which will enable the new regulatory framework for Higher Education to be put in place."

Para 3 in its entirety.

ReputationRep:
    The current maintenance arrangements look to be for full-time students only.
    I don't know much about it or what their criteria are but you might try OUSET,

ReputationRep:
    Great information resources, thanks for providing them. It is very much appreciated.

I will call the OU tomorrow and see what options are available to me. I was just trying to get an answer before that, but sadly it doesn't appear that any grants will be applicable for Oct 17 which is slightly more than annoying, but hey ho. I will soldier on regardless.

Thanks again for the replies

ReputationRep:
    Sfe will fund tuition fees but not maintenance loan for open university as its considered part-time study even if you're studying full time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.