Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I pick my gums till they bleed, only thing that gives me pleasure, what is wrong with Watch

Announcements

Hello everyone,

Basically I have been having a problem of picking my gums. It's making my more and more anxious- I HATE IT. Basically I've been diagnosed with depression and been setting myself goals like:

a) Get up earlier then usual-which I have been doing
    b) Taking my medications

Now I've developed an addiction of picking my gums. Iy started off slowly now its horrendous. :-(

I almost feel like such an idiot but trying to get the smallest bot accomplished :-(. My housemates have full-time work, clean, cook, everything. I feel very unable to cope with life.

I guess I do it because I'm frustrated with how my life has turns out, :-(

Any tips on how to stop?

A
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello everyone,

Basically I have been having a problem of picking my gums. It's making my more and more anxious- I HATE IT. Basically I've been diagnosed with depression and been setting myself goals like:

b) Taking my medications

Now I've developed an addiction of picking my gums. Iy started off slowly now its horrendous. :-(

I almost feel like such an idiot but trying to get the smallest bot accomplished :-(. My housemates have full-time work, clean, cook, everything. I feel very unable to cope with life.

Any tips on how to stop?

A
    Have you told a doctor about this yet? There are a few conditions you could probably class this under which are quite similar, but also different. It's worth talking to a doctor for advice on the best help and any referral you may need.
    I suggest you look into advice online for OCD, dermatilomania and self harm. I'm not saying you have any of those, but I think the advice for them could fit your current situation. It depends partially on what's causing it so not all of the advice will fit, but you can just take a look at what you want to try.

I also suggest you look into something called CBT. It's a form of therapy that looks at undesirable thought and behaviours, where they come from and how to stop them. There are some online resources for CBT, but they don't work quite like real life CBT does so I suggest you try some real life. It's something you can discuss with your GP.

The main way to stop anything like this is to get rid of the cause. In your case it seems your depression has a major part, but there are often some more specific thought or feelings that feed into the depression and undesirable behaviours. Counselling (which you can access through uni or the NHS) and therapy (NHS/ private) are good ways to work out what thoughts and feelings are going on and work on improving.
    There is also an option of medication which helps in some cases. You would have to discuss with a doctor if they would be likely to help you and if it's something you would want to try.

I hope that helps. Please remember that this isn't your fault. The issue may be inside you, but it's not you personally. And try not to compare yourself to others too much. There's no sense in somebody with no legs beating themselves up cos their room mates are running marathons and there's no sense in you beating yourself up either. Work on improving yourself for yourself. It sounds like you're actually making some progress with waking up so be proud of that. That's you full time job and your marathon. You are doing well.

So yeah, go back and have a talk with your GP about it. Think of any questions you have before you go and write them down.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello everyone,

b) Taking my medications

Any tips on how to stop?

A
    Pretty much what the above poster said. It's gonna be hard, I get into a horrible habit of picking at my lips and as a result end up with swollen, bleeding lips often. You just have to try to distract yourself. This may be controversial advice and if anyone disagrees, please tell me, but I would suggest wearing an elastic band on your wrist. Whenever, you go to pick your gums, try to stop yourself and go to the rubber band instead. Yes you may end up developing another habit instead but I think picking your gums in the long run is going to lead to far more issues.

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.