Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which IB subjects should I take for Law? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I really want to study law at uni and I'm trying to pick the right IB subjects.

These are the subjects I am currently planning on picking:
    English HL
    History HL
    Business HL
    Maths SL
    (Second Lang) Spanish/Turkish SL
    Biology SL
    Geography SL

I wanted to take Economics, but unfortunately my school doesn't offer that subject. Also, I've heard that taking Chemistry SL is beneficial since it's one of the more challenging subjects, is that true? Also, I have 7 subjects at the moment but I might not take Geography but I'm unsure at the moment. Could it be better if I took Psychology instead of Geography? Please give me some answers, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You can study whatever you like, pal. Don't worry about the composition so much.

ReputationRep:
    Your subject choices look good!! Shame you can't take Econ but this looks like the best option. And no need to take difficult subjects just because they are challenging, it's not like the universities will care about that if they don't relate to law.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nazk01)
    Hi guys, I really want to study law at uni and I'm trying to pick the right IB subjects.

These are the subjects I am currently planning on picking:
    English HL
    History HL
    Business HL
    Maths SL
    (Second Lang) Spanish/Turkish SL
    Biology SL
    Geography SL

I wanted to take Economics, but unfortunately my school doesn't offer that subject. Also, I've heard that taking Chemistry SL is beneficial since it's one of the more challenging subjects, is that true? Also, I have 7 subjects at the moment but I might not take Geography but I'm unsure at the moment. Could it be better if I took Psychology instead of Geography? Please give me some answers, thanks!
    Perfect combination, but don't take 7 unless you have to, as only 6 count towards your diploma.

ReputationRep:
    I did work experience at a Law firm and when I asked about what IB subjects I should take to studay Law at uni, one of the partners of the Law firm told me to do something different. Law firms recieve a lot of similar applications that show no variety; so doing something that makes you stand out is a huge bonus.

You have to take English, Maths and a language anyway so take subjects that you really enjoy and that you think make you stand out.

I've gone one step further and I'm studying Psychology at uni before doing a conversion course into Law. It means I'm studying a subject that I love and that I'm bringing something new to the table when I do apply to Law firms. It helps you to think outside the box when you need to apply your knowledge to real life situations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.