Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The divide between Sixth Forms and Further Education (FE) colleges Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've recently discovered a divide between Sixth Forms and FE colleges that I did not know existed. I simply thought a Sixth Form was attached a school and an FE college was a separate educational establishment. However, I'm discovering on TSR that some people look down upon FE colleges? I went to an FE college and so it amazed me to discover this attitude that some people have toward FE colleges; I thought Sixth Forms and FE colleges were largely the same and the only difference was that one was part of a school and the other wasn't..

I guess my question is, why is there this divide and does going to an FE college affect your opportunities?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    TSR also thinks Further Maths is the hardest course in the entire world, and that A-level Economics is not well considered by universities (despite being offered by e.g. nearly every applicant to Cambridge Economics).

I would put very little stock into the collective opinions of this site, most of the users are...young, and are not at the stage where they can critically reflect upon the usefulness of a given course or style of education retrospectively. Or use Google, for that matter...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they feel like FE colleges are freer than sixth forms because you aren't part of a school as such, and therefore less academic and looked down upon by certain people on TSR.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.