Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm pretty set on studying a degree in mechanical engineering, however I have a few queries that you might be able to help me with:

How computer heavy is the course? Do you use much software such as CAD programmes?

I will hopefully be starting the degree in just over a year. Is there any advice you could give me in terms of specific topics to get familiar with/skills to learn?

Thanks in advance!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smooth Sailing)
    Hi, I'm pretty set on studying a degree in mechanical engineering, however I have a few queries that you might be able to help me with:

How computer heavy is the course? Do you use much software such as CAD programmes?

I will hopefully be starting the degree in just over a year. Is there any advice you could give me in terms of specific topics to get familiar with/skills to learn?

Thanks in advance!
    The course can be somewhat computer heavy. The software I used the most was ANSYS for finite element analysis. CAD was taught, but I didn't use it much outside of the mandatory lessons. Many universities also teach and use Matlab a lot, but again I didn't use it for anything non-mandatory.

What would be most useful for completing the degree and achieving a good grade would be being relatively good at maths. You could also being to look at topics like solid mechanics, dynamics, fluids and thermodynamics, but the degree will cover all of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    The course can be somewhat computer heavy. The software I used the most was ANSYS for finite element analysis. CAD was taught, but I didn't use it much outside of the mandatory lessons. Many universities also teach and use Matlab a lot, but again I didn't use it for anything non-mandatory.

What would be most useful for completing the degree and achieving a good grade would be being relatively good at maths. You could also being to look at topics like solid mechanics, dynamics, fluids and thermodynamics, but the degree will cover all of that.
    Thanks for the reply. I have experience with CAD software, but I will look into the other software you mentioned, and will keep on with my maths!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smooth Sailing)
    Thanks for the reply. I have experience with CAD software, but I will look into the other software you mentioned, and will keep on with my maths!
    If you're not familiar with any of the software it's not a big deal at all. Ensuring your maths is up to scratch is probably going to be more useful than learning various software packages.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.