Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide. I really shouldn't decide right now because it's too early but I really want to.
    I intend on taking History at Cambridge,(hopefully) but after that I want to do a postgraduate course in either Law or Journalism.
    Can anyone give me some advice?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with History at Cambridge - that should serve you well in either career . Son also did History at Cambridge then went onto do a Masters in Journalisim - despite gaining a distinction he found it difficult finding anything that wasn't a short term contract
    and spent 6 months doing unpaid internships . It's very much a career based on who you know and you would need to prepare to struggle to find anything that pays well and isn't freelance . They eventually worked for a large broadcaster but more admin based behind the scenes . Two years later, he decided to go into his first love , Law . He self funded the GDL and was lucky enough to secure two TC's just as he finished . One was SC the other MC , he went for the MC who refunded the GDL . He is sure that the commercial exposure he gained whilst in journalism went in his favour . However I'm sure he would have got there anyway . Worth considering that a large percentage of trainees , particularly in the MC are non - law graduates (English / Histiry degrees in particular) and a huge number are from Oxbridge . If you do decide to do Law after History then you need to start looking at law / commercial related work experience during university holidays . If at Cambridge it's almost impossible to work during term times due to the work load . Cambridge has fantastic links with Law firms etc and you would need to show how committed you are to the career . If you do go to Cambridge then work hard and have a great time , do not sit in your room for 3 years hoping to get a 1st - my son found employers were more interested in what other things he did whilst at university ( societies etc ) , and with a 2.1 they made him stand out . Hope this has helped - good luck
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oneiropólos)
    I can't decide. I really shouldn't decide right now because it's too early but I really want to.
    I intend on taking History at Cambridge,(hopefully) but after that I want to do a postgraduate course in either Law or Journalism.
    Can anyone give me some advice?
    There is little point deciding now. Go ahead with your degree as planned, gain work experience in both fields while you do and then make a decision in your final year of your undergraduate degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    There is little point deciding now. Go ahead with your degree as planned, gain work experience in both fields while you do and then make a decision in your final year of your undergraduate degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will do.

ReputationRep:
    From what I hear from journalist friends, the rise of internet news has made journalism a very difficult and insecure career. But it's early days. Do your degree first, then decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albcat28)
    Good luck with History at Cambridge - that should serve you well in either career . Son also did History at Cambridge then went onto do a Masters in Journalisim - despite gaining a distinction he found it difficult finding anything that wasn't a short term contact and spent 6 months doing unpaid internships . It's very much a career based on who you know and you would need to prepare to struggle to find anything that pays well and isn't freelance . They eventually worked for a large broadcaster but more admin based behind the scenes . Two years he decided to go into his first love , Law . He self funded the GDL and was lucky enough to secure two TC's just as he finished . One was SC the other MC , he went for the MC who refunded the GDL . He is sure that the commercial exposure he gained whilst in journalism went in his favour . However I'm sure he would have got there anyway . Worth considering that a large percentage of trainees , particularly in the MC are non - law graduates (English / Histiry degrees in particular) and a huge number are from Oxbridge . If you do decide to do Law after History then you need to start looking at law / commercial related work experience during university holidays . If at Cambridge it's almost impossible to work during term times due to the work load . Cambridge has fantastic links with Law firms etc and you would need to show how committed you are to the career . If you do go to Cambridge then work hard and have a great time , do not sit in your room for 3 years hoping to get a 1st - my son found employers were more interested in what other things he did whilst at university ( societies etc ) , and with a 2.1 they made him stand out . Hope this has helped - good luck
    This has not only helped out but it has inspired and motivated me. Awesome reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albcat28)
    Good luck with History at Cambridge - that should serve you well in either career . Son also did History at Cambridge then went onto do a Masters in Journalisim - despite gaining a distinction he found it difficult finding anything that wasn't a short term contact and spent 6 months doing unpaid internships . It's very much a career based on who you know and you would need to prepare to struggle to find anything that pays well and isn't freelance . They eventually worked for a large broadcaster but more admin based behind the scenes . Two years he decided to go into his first love , Law . He self funded the GDL and was lucky enough to secure two TC's just as he finished . One was SC the other MC , he went for the MC who refunded the GDL . He is sure that the commercial exposure he gained whilst in journalism went in his favour . However I'm sure he would have got there anyway . Worth considering that a large percentage of trainees , particularly in the MC are non - law graduates (English / Histiry degrees in particular) and a huge number are from Oxbridge . If you do decide to do Law after History then you need to start looking at law / commercial related work experience during university holidays . If at Cambridge it's almost impossible to work during term times due to the work load . Cambridge has fantastic links with Law firms etc and you would need to show how committed you are to the career . If you do go to Cambridge then work hard and have a great time , do not sit in your room for 3 years hoping to get a 1st - my son found employers were more interested in what other things he did whilst at university ( societies etc ) , and with a 2.1 they made him stand out . Hope this has helped - good luck
    Thanks so much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.