Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Heavy DofE (Gold) bag for tomorrow Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've done my bronze, silver and practise gold DofE but my bag is always really heavy. I know it is for everyone but I'm quite small so 1/4 of my body weight is only about 11.3kg but my bag is always over that weight. I'm really not sure how to reduce that weight. I think I already struggle with walking a bit because my bag is too heavy. Do any of you guys have an tips on how to lighten the load?
    It would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasminea)
    Hey guys, I've done my bronze, silver and practise gold DofE but my bag is always really heavy. I know it is for everyone but I'm quite small so 1/4 of my body weight is only about 11.3kg but my bag is always over that weight. I'm really not sure how to reduce that weight. I think I already struggle with walking a bit because my bag is too heavy. Do any of you guys have an tips on how to lighten the load?
    What are you taking that's optional? Maybe you can ask your group members whether they can help carry some of your stuff for you? That's what I did

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was going to do that but to make it the right weight for me, I'd have to end up giving them all my part of the tent and the fuel. So the only group stuff I would be bringing is playing cards, a survival bag and a map case. To me, that seems unfair to the rest of my group but then some of them are a lot bigger than me. I'm not really sure what to do. I might just ask if they can take it if my bag really seems too heavy.

Thanks for the reply
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What do you have in it currently? If you let us know we can try to suggest things you don't need.
    Some simple tips are to re-wear shirts and trousers, pack light clothes, not pack unnecessary layers, not pack extra stuff like serving spoons or unnecessary pots for cooking, ask more able members of the group if they can take some of your load.

You can also make the weight easier to carry with a few methods:
    make sure your bag is fitted to you well and sitting properly. You can look online for info on how a hiking bad should sit, but essentially, most of the weight should be on your hips not your shoulders.
    Here's a link that should help (https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ex...fit-a-rucksack)
    Pack the heavier items at the bottom of your bag. That way the weight pushes you down straight, rather than pulling your back awkwardly.
    Try to pack the weight and bulk evenly so one side of you isn't being strained more than the other.

Oh and my top tip for any hiking trip- sweets. They give a good energy and morale boost. My bag has a little pocket on the strap that I put sweets in for easy access.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was going to do that but to make it the right weight for me, I'd have to end up giving them all my part of the tent and the fuel. So the only group stuff I would be bringing is playing cards, a survival bag and a map case. To me, that seems unfair to the rest of my group but then some of them are a lot bigger than me. I'm not really sure what to do. I might just ask if they can take it if my bag really seems too heavy.

Thanks for the reply
    The group stuff you'd bring given the above are next to nothing in weight? How many casuals/shoes are you taking? You really don't need more than two pairs of anything except maybe socks and underwear

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're bringing booze
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the reply
    Your group is hiking as one unit. If you are slowed down then the whole group is. It's often worth more able (in this case bigger) members taking on a bit extra so the group can work at a more equal pace.
    Any weight you can give to others is a weight off your shoulders (literally) so see what they are willing to take.

It may be a bit unfair for some people to carry extra weight, but it's more unfair to make the whole expedition take longer for avoidable reasons and even even more unfair for you to damage yourself trying to carry more than you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    What do you have in it currently? If you let us know we can try to suggest things you don't need.
    Some simple tips are to re-wear shirts and trousers, pack light clothes, not pack unnecessary layers, not pack extra stuff like serving spoons or unnecessary pots for cooking, ask more able members of the group if they can take some of your load.

You can also make the weight easier to carry with a few methods:
    make sure your bag is fitted to you well and sitting properly. You can look online for info on how a hiking bad should sit, but essentially, most of the weight should be on your hips not your shoulders.
    Here's a link that should help (https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ex...fit-a-rucksack)
    Pack the heavier items at the bottom of your bag. That way the weight pushes you down straight, rather than pulling your back awkwardly.
    Try to pack the weight and bulk evenly so one side of you isn't being strained more than the other.

Oh and my top tip for any hiking trip- sweets. They give a good energy and morale boost. My bag has a little pocket on the strap that I put sweets in for easy access.
    I guess I could re-wear tops but I just think I might get a little hot and sweaty.
    My list for things I'm bringing is quite long but I'll tell you as briefly as I can:
    Tops x4 and a PJ top (maybe I could get rid of this one)
    Tracksuit bottoms x1
    Raincoat
    Money
    Waterproof trousers
    Fleece (I'm wearing that)
    A hoodie
    Personal first aid kit and hygiene stuff
    Deodrant
    Hot cross buns (x7) and a frusili bars (x4) - for breakfast +2 frusili for emergency rations
    About 8 mini boxes of raisins
    Small chocolate animal biscuit packets x8
    Small packs of hula hoops (about 8)
    3 packs of dehydrated food for my dinner
    A light mug/thermos thing
    Fork and spoon
    Hot chocolate sachets x3
    Survival bag
    Suncream
    Sunglasses (can put in my walking trousers which I'm wearing)
    Playing cards
    Small pack of blister plasters
    Small head torch
    Tent poles
    Inner tent layer
    Fuel x1
    Spare bin liners x2
    Spare plastic bags x2
    Sleeping bag
    Roll mat
    Underwear, socks etc.
    2l of water (I was told I have to carry this much by our instructors)
    Hat/gloves

I think that's it, thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I guess I could re-wear tops but I just think I might get a little hot and sweaty.
    My list for things I'm bringing is quite long but I'll tell you as briefly as I can:
    Tracksuit bottoms x1
    Raincoat
    Money
    Waterproof trousers
    A hoodie
    Deodrant
    Hot cross buns (x7) and a frusili bars (x4) - for breakfast +2 frusili for emergency rations
    Fork and spoon
    Hot chocolate sachets x3
    Survival bag
    Suncream
    Playing cards
    Small head torch
    Tent poles
    Inner tent layer
    Fuel x1
    Spare bin liners x2
    Spare plastic bags x2
    Sleeping bag
    Roll mat
    Underwear, socks etc.
    Hat/gloves

I wouldn't bother with both a fleece and a hoodie pyjamas top either- just wear the t-shirt from the day before. Think about how you're packing your bag, or heavy stuff at the bottom and closer to your back, try and keep it like this through the expedition too as it makes things a lot easier. Make sure all the straps are adjusted right on your bag too, ask someone for help to make sure they're the right size for you. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    I wouldn't bother with both a fleece and a hoodie pyjamas top either- just wear the t-shirt from the day before. Think about how you're packing your bag, or heavy stuff at the bottom and closer to your back, try and keep it like this through the expedition too as it makes things a lot easier. Make sure all the straps are adjusted right on your bag too, ask someone for help to make sure they're the right size for you. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
    Thanks. I would've only brought one fleece but I'm not sure how strict they'll be. At school we're using a special outside group to do our DofE and I've heard they're kind of strict somethings. So I'll check with my friends but thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Tracksuit bottoms x1
    Raincoat
    Money
    Waterproof trousers
    A hoodie
    Deodrant
    Fork and spoon
    Hot chocolate sachets x3
    Survival bag
    Suncream
    Playing cards
    Small head torch
    Tent poles
    Inner tent layer
    Fuel x1
    Spare bin liners x2
    Spare plastic bags x2
    Sleeping bag
    Roll mat
    Underwear, socks etc.
    Hat/gloves

Okay well nothing in your list is terribly unnecessary which is actually a shame cos it'll be harder to loose weight.
    Other than a shirt, maybe the hoodie and switching to lighter options there isn't much you can do.
    What I suggest is that you talk to your team and your instructors about shifting some of the weight. DofE actually has rules about how much a person should carry (no more than quarter your body weight) so if you are over that your instructors need to help you shift it. The obvious options are to ditch the water, fuel and tent somehow.

You can see the rules here (http://www.dofe.info/go/faqe/#heat). Scroll down for the weight rule.

Oh also, if you haven't already I suggest you pack some wet wipes for... business. That or andrex actually does a travel loo roll which is pretty handy (no tube).

ReputationRep:
    Suncream - take a tiny tube, or share someone else's.
    Hat & gloves - probably unnecessary in July unless you're climbing mountains. Check the forecast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Okay well nothing in your list is terribly unnecessary which is actually a shame cos it'll be harder to loose weight.
    Other than a shirt, maybe the hoodie and switching to lighter options there isn't much you can do.
    What I suggest is that you talk to your team and your instructors about shifting some of the weight. DofE actually has rules about how much a person should carry (no more than quarter your body weight) so if you are over that your instructors need to help you shift it. The obvious options are to ditch the water, fuel and tent somehow.

You can see the rules here (http://www.dofe.info/go/faqe/#heat). Scroll down for the weight rule.

Oh also, if you haven't already I suggest you pack some wet wipes for... business. That or andrex actually does a travel loo roll which is pretty handy (no tube).
    Yeah, ok thanks. I thought that was a rule but I couldn't find it. I've taken some stuff out so I'm going to weigh it again. If it's still quite heavy, I might email my teacher and ask her what to do bcoz I don't know my group that well and after mentioning my bag was heavy to them, they seemed to say there's was heavy too (Possibly a bit reluctant to take some of mine).

Also loo roll is useful but I left it to someone else in my group to bring that.
    Thanks for all the help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.