Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Human Rights Law work - straight after graduation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all! I'm an international student (non-EU so require visa), just gradated with a 2:1 LLB from Birmingham. I have 3 internships (not VCs, just "placements" at human rights and social justice focused firms) lined up all the way until end of September but to stay in the country past mid-October I'll need a "real job".

My question is, since my focus is quite specific, I haven't been aiming for training contracts. Most big firms that does international human rights cases recruit from within (i.e. paralegals) and I've been applying to that, but haven't been hearing back from from anyone else.

My CV is ok (internships every summer since first year, 4 committee posts, pro bono, mooting etc) but my grades were shaky in 1st & 2nd year.

I understand it is hard enough to find HR work for locals, but I wanted to get experience in this field because there's practically none back in my home country (Hong Kong)(Also, human rights isn't really a thing in China...). Should I be ditching human rights for now and try getting more city focused work (or even hopping on the TC train at the very last week?!)? Or should I keep going for human rights related work?

tldr, non-eu student with 2:1 from birmingham want to get UK specific experience. What do?

Thank you all in advance xx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachkitten)
    Hello all! I'm an international student (non-EU so require visa), just gradated with a 2:1 LLB from Birmingham. I have 3 internships (not VCs, just "placements" at human rights and social justice focused firms) lined up all the way until end of September but to stay in the country past mid-October I'll need a "real job".

My question is, since my focus is quite specific, I haven't been aiming for training contracts. Most big firms that does international human rights cases recruit from within (i.e. paralegals) and I've been applying to that, but haven't been hearing back from from anyone else.

My CV is ok (internships every summer since first year, 4 committee posts, pro bono, mooting etc) but my grades were shaky in 1st & 2nd year.

I understand it is hard enough to find HR work for locals, but I wanted to get experience in this field because there's practically none back in my home country (Hong Kong)(Also, human rights isn't really a thing in China...). Should I be ditching human rights for now and try getting more city focused work (or even hopping on the TC train at the very last week?!)? Or should I keep going for human rights related work?

tldr, non-eu student with 2:1 from birmingham want to get UK specific experience. What do?

Thank you all in advance xx
    1) Check whether the firms you are applying to are listed at Tier 2 visa sponsors -
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...f_Sponsors.pdf

The difficulty is that this doesn't mean that even if the firm are listed on the register, that can apply for visas for paralegal roles, especially if the roles do not meet the necessary requirements of a Tier 2 visa. But at least you know if they are not registered, you will struggle to get past an application sift with them.

2) Have a look on LinkedIn to try and find paralegals working in the firms you want to work for and try to see if their background suggests they are also international students who required a work permit.

3) Look out for paralegal roles that might have a specific language requirement. It will be easier to get a visa for roles like this where the talent pool is much smaller

4) Speak to people when you are on your placements to get an idea of what they reckon is the best route

5) If your CV is very human rights focused, then your going to have to pull out a stellar application for someone to think you aren't settling for second best with commercial law. If your first and second year grades are "shaky" too this could limit your success in applying to firms who could sponsor a work permit.

6) Consider opportunities outside of the UK and your home country.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.