Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chris Froome and the Tour de France Watch

ReputationRep:
    The BBC have been pushing this quite a bit, and I have to admit I don't entirely understand the workings of the Tour de France as a sporting event, though I can see it as an exhibition event advertising the bikes and other gear.

Sir Bradley Wiggins was made a knight after 'just' one win, Froome has 3 and is due his fourth soon but was only awarded an OBE after winning it for the second time and is still there.
    Why are individual cyclists listed as the winners when they clearly have help? Their team are paid to help the designated leader even if it involves self sabotaging their own race. In any individual sport this is called corruption and results in disqualification, so why is it publicised as an individual, rather than a team sport?
    Why is the last stage a 'procession'? As I write this, Froome is in first place in the Tour de France, boozing (yes, really) because it's the convention to let him have it. However, things can still go wrong and he be denied victory (e.g. he wipes out) - why not declare the winner already and have this officially be a procession?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomH97)
    The BBC have been pushing this quite a bit, and I have to admit I don't entirely understand the workings of the Tour de France as a sporting event, though I can see it as an exhibition event advertising the bikes and other gear.

Sir Bradley Wiggins was made a knight after 'just' one win, Froome has 3 and is due his fourth soon but was only awarded an OBE after winning it for the second time and is still there.
    Why are individual cyclists listed as the winners when they clearly have help? Their team are paid to help the designated leader even if it involves self sabotaging their own race. In any individual sport this is called corruption and results in disqualification, so why is it publicised as an individual, rather than a team sport?
    Why is the last stage a 'procession'? As I write this, Froome is in first place in the Tour de France, boozing (yes, really) because it's the convention to let him have it. However, things can still go wrong and he be denied victory (e.g. he wipes out) - why not declare the winner already and have this officially be a procession?
    The Tour does actually award the fastest overall team, as well as a few other awards. It just happens to be that the individual winner is the most publicised award given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The Tour does actually award the fastest overall team, as well as a few other awards. It just happens to be that the individual winner is the most publicised award given.
    True, I know they give awards for mountains and sprints too. But my point was that the individual award almost dismisses the other members of the team who not only help but also sacrifice their own race (like Froome did for Wiggins from some things I've read?). It would make sense to not have an individual award because there are no individuals in the race.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.