The Student Room Group

HUGE mistake on UCAS application. Need URGENT help!

Hi, I made a UCAS application and got several unconditional offers and even firmed one. I'm expected to bring all certificates stated on my UCAS application when enrolling. I have several questions:

Can a learner use their ULN to access their own records to check all qualifications? (I'm looking for a past GCSE qualification) If not, can I call UCAS and they can check for me if I have my ULN?

Do universities check using my ULN before giving me an offer to match all of my stated grades on UCAS to ones on record?

Does a grade of more value (A-level equivalent in chemistry) compensate for my lack of a certificate for my stated GCSE C grade or will policies override this and will I lose my spot for my current firmed unconditional offer?

If I contact my university stating this issue, how do I tell them?

If I find this grade doesn't exist, do I come clean to the university and explain my issue honestly or will I be scrutinised for my mental health issues?

Will providing a written note from my therapist or psychiatrist aid my claims in any way?

I have an A-level equivalent grade in Chemistry but I had been advised by my teacher at college to add a GCSE grade in Chemistry which I apparently possess. He had said when he ran my ULN he found this grade and unis would use this too. I put it on my application and tried my best to track down this elusive grade. I have memory lapses due to PTSD and cannot remember several years of my past. I could have misplaced this certificate or may well have never received it in the first place. I don't recall ever seeing this certificate but two teachers (both from my first and second college) have told me it exists. I do not remember the year and have already attempted to contact my previous schools for records as well as spending well over £200 contacting 4 exam boards for a specific year and all the qualifications I attained. I can't possibly afford to go through searching for grades for more years and pay more... I would have never stated a grade that is of lower value than one I already possess unless I had been advised to do so by my teacher but I understand it was MY choice and mistake.

I'm really panicking extremely. I have already signed a contract for a room in London but I know I won't be able to enrol without ALL the stated grades on my UCAS. What do I do? PLEASE HELP ME.
(edited 6 years ago)
I only showed certificates cited in my offer. If it is not referred to in your offer, then you will not have to provide it.
Original post by SP195
Hi, I made a UCAS application and got several unconditional offers and even firmed one. I'm expected to bring all certificates stated on my UCAS application when enrolling. I have several questions:

Can a learner use their ULN to access their own records to check all qualifications? (I'm looking for a past GCSE qualification) If not, can I call UCAS and they can check for me if I have my ULN?

Do universities check using my ULN before giving me an offer to match all of my stated grades on UCAS to ones on record?

Does a grade of more value (A-level equivalent in chemistry) compensate for my lack of a certificate for my stated GCSE C grade or will policies override this and will I lose my spot for my current firmed unconditional offer?

If I contact my university stating this issue, how do I tell them?

If I find this grade doesn't exist, do I come clean to the university and explain my issue honestly or will I be scrutinised for my mental health issues?

Will providing a written note from my therapist or psychiatrist aid my claims in any way?

I have an A-level equivalent grade in Chemistry but I had been advised by my teacher at college to add a GCSE grade in Chemistry which I apparently possess. He had said when he ran my ULN he found this grade and unis would use this too. I put it on my application and tried my best to track down this elusive grade. I have memory lapses due to PTSD and cannot remember several years of my past. I could have misplaced this certificate or may well have never received it in the first place. I don't recall ever seeing this certificate but two teachers (both from my first and second college) have told me it exists. I do not remember the year and have already attempted to contact my previous schools for records as well as spending well over £200 contacting 4 exam boards for a specific year and all the qualifications I attained. I can't possibly afford to go through searching for grades for more years and pay more... I would have never stated a grade that is of lower value than one I already possess unless I had been advised to do so by my teacher but I understand it was MY choice and mistake.

I'm really panicking extremely. I have already signed a contract for a room in London but I know I won't be able to enrol without ALL the stated grades on my UCAS. What do I do? PLEASE HELP ME.

As far as I m aware ucas and universities can't search by your uln as the government decommissioned the online search you can fill a form in and they ll send you any records they can find of what qualifications you did since 14. The form is here
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/557132/Access_My_Personal_Learning_Record_v2.pdf .
If you don't posses that grade then yes you ll have to tell the university then it would be up to them whether to accept you without it or not.
Reply 3
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
I only showed certificates cited in my offer. If it is not referred to in your offer, then you will not have to provide it.

Hey thanks for replying, if my offer is unconditional how do I know which certificates they will be needing? I checked my unis enrollment information PDF and it clearly stated all certificates are needed to fully enrol including GCSE's
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
As far as I m aware ucas and universities can't search by your uln as the government decommissioned the online search you can fill a form in and they ll send you any records they can find of what qualifications you did since 14. The form is here
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/557132/Access_My_Personal_Learning_Record_v2.pdf .
If you don't posses that grade then yes you ll have to tell the university then it would be up to them whether to accept you without it or not.

Thank you ever so much! I will complete this ASAP.
Original post by SP195
Hey thanks for replying, if my offer is unconditional how do I know which certificates they will be needing? I checked my unis enrollment information PDF and it clearly stated all certificates are needed to fully enrol including GCSE's

Did you email admissions? It is likely only your level 3s need to be provided.

Email them and find out what they need to see. Aim to talk to someone senior so they know what they're talking about.
Reply 6
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Did you email admissions? It is likely only your level 3s need to be provided.

Email them and find out what they need to see. Aim to talk to someone senior so they know what they're talking about.

That's a good call. I will call or e-mail in to do that before rambling on about the missing certificate. Thank you!
Original post by SP195
That's a good call. I will call or e-mail in to do that before rambling on about the missing certificate. Thank you!

Best of luck with it, and I am sure it will be fine!

I have a similar problem.

I cannot find my GCSE certificates however i have them written down on a piece of paper in an envelope. Will this be a problem when university i apply for ask for proof?

Also i did a BTEC level 2 qualification at school and i did not receive anything for this qualification eventhough i know the grade that i have got.

I do not know what to do
Original post by Blackstarr
I have a similar problem.

I cannot find my GCSE certificates however i have them written down on a piece of paper in an envelope. Will this be a problem when university i apply for ask for proof?

Also i did a BTEC level 2 qualification at school and i did not receive anything for this qualification eventhough i know the grade that i have got.

I do not know what to do

If it's for a qualification that's important for a university place like maths or English for example it's likely you ll need to buy replacements
If it's for a qualification that's important for a university place like maths or English for example it's likely you ll need to buy replacements

??

The BTEC qualification is in Business studies level 2 and is relevant to my career path.

The GCSES are standard GCSES.
??

The BTEC qualification is in Business studies level 2 and is relevant to my career path.

The GCSES are standard GCSES.

If you know which exam boards you did them with then call to get replacement certificates
If you know which exam boards you did them with then call to get replacement certificates

I am worried about the costs.

so, do the certificates actually matter when i still have my GCSE results envelope with me?
I am worried about the costs.

so, do the certificates actually matter when i still have my GCSE results envelope with me?

Yes, certificates have got holograms of sorts on them so it's clear they are real, results sheets could easily be faked these days so they won't be accepted as proof
Yes, certificates have got holograms of sorts on them so it's clear they are real, results sheets could easily be faked these days so they won't be accepted as proof

hhmm.....are you aware of the replacement costs?
hhmm.....are you aware of the replacement costs?

It's between £30-40 for each exam board.
Ucas can't search for your learner records but universities can.

Not all of them do it as a matter of course though.

Quick Reply

Latest