Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinions on London clashes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So yesterday a protest went on in the street of London, this was on Kensington High Street

What are your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing on news :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Demostrations are common in London, particularly in Kensington, Knightsbridge etc where there are lots of embassies and consulates. It's nothing new and you don't need to feel concerned for your personal safety as a resident really.

The demonstration in that video isn't even a particularly lively one - hardly a clash.

ReputationRep:
    Brace yourselves if you think these are bad. London riots v2 are pending. Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Looks like it's taking place outside Kensington Palace Gardens where the Israeli embassy is. Demonstrations occur there frequently, it's not particularly newsworthy in and of itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Demostrations are common in London, particularly in Kensington, Knightsbridge etc where there are lots of embassies and consulates. It's nothing new and you don't need to feel concerned for your personal safety as a resident really.

The demonstration in that video isn't even a particularly lively one - hardly a clash.
    The clash isnt shown on the video, sorry forgot to mention that. but it is discriminative. lol i know they occur, I live there. But these usually get carried out in areas closer to central areas e.g. Marble Arch or near hyde park, not on Kensington High Street. But to have these becoming more common? I don't feel comfortable with that ngl. I have Israeli friends and its sad to see things like this occurring where they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrIso)
    Brace yourselves if you think these are bad. London riots v2 are pending. Trust me.
    Hope they happen when I'm back at uni so I can observe them from my penthouse suite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup, I haven't seen anything really reported on the news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrIso)
    Lol, I'm getting that feeling too. But still these are becoming more and more frequent and I don't like the idea of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Hope they happen when I'm back at uni so I can observe them from my penthouse suite.
    loooooooool
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Happens all the time. Someone/some group somewhere around London is protesting or shouting about something. It's nothing noteworthy at all, and I'm unsure you can say they're becoming more common. If anything it will fluctuate with the news, so whenever tensions between Palestine-Israel flare, you'll see the same thing between their supporters.

Nothing strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredom101)
    The clash isnt shown on the video, sorry forgot to mention that. but it is discriminative. lol i know they occur, I live there. But these usually get carried out in areas closer to central areas e.g. Marble Arch or near hyde park, not on Kensington High Street. But to have these becoming more common? I don't feel comfortable with that ngl. I have Israeli friends and its sad to see things like this occurring where they are.
    The reason it's happening on Kensington High Street is likely to be that the police closed off the entrance to Kensington Palace Gardens which is directly off the high street, so the closest place to the embassy which people could protest was on the high street itself.

I'm surprised that as a resident you haven't encountered it before now tbh. Marble Arch and Speaker's Corner are often start/end points for marches, but demonstrations outside of embassies aren't uncommon in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    The reason it's happening on Kensington High Street is likely to be that the police closed off the entrance to Kensington Palace Gardens which is directly off the high street, so the closest place to the embassy which people could protest was on the high street itself.

I'm surprised that as a resident you haven't encountered it before now tbh. Marble Arch and Speaker's Corner are often start/end points for marches, but demonstrations outside of embassies aren't uncommon in London.
    I didnt say I hadn't I just meant I'm becoming uncomfortable with the frequency of these protests especially with tensions going on rn. Ofc they aren't uncommon lol but the, the embassies that experience the most protests aren't based in South Kensington though.

I do understand what you mean though, they aren't exactly uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredom101)
    I didnt say I hadn't I just meant I'm becoming uncomfortable with the frequency of these protests especially with tensions going on rn. Ofc they aren't uncommon lol but the, the embassies that experience the most protests aren't based in South Kensington though.

I do understand what you mean though, they aren't exactly uncommon.
    From the video it's not anti-Jewish, it's anti-Israel (and some pro-Israel I guess). I recognise quite a few places shown in the video from the part of Kensington High Street near the Israeli embassy, including the gate to the walkway that goes outside the embassy itself. There are usually armed police guarding the embassy who will likely have shifted the protesters off the (sort of private) walkway I've circled onto the street. I imagine the protesters would have been happy staying in front of the embassy so it isn't by their choice they're on the high street blocking your journey.

Name:  Embassy.PNG
Views: 18
Size:  101.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomH97)
    From the video it's not anti-Jewish, it's anti-Israel (and some pro-Israel I guess). I recognise quite a few places shown in the video from the part of Kensington High Street near the Israeli embassy, including the gate to the walkway that goes outside the embassy itself. There are usually armed police guarding the embassy who will likely have shifted the protesters off the (sort of private) walkway I've circled onto the street. I imagine the protesters would have been happy staying in front of the embassy so it isn't by their choice they're on the high street blocking your journey.

Name:  Embassy.PNG
Views: 18
Size:  101.3 KB
    Ahh dw, they weren't blocking my journey .i'm over it now lol but still like I was just talking about the protest in general. Thanks for the info btw, I didn't actually know that

ReputationRep:
    I've seen similar confrontations in Manchester. They put me in mind of the way my 4 and 7 year-old boys behave.

ReputationRep:
    Deport these foreigners.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.