Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tough situation Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This might be odd but I'd rather seek the advice of you lot than people I know in person as I don't want anyone in my real life to think badly of my mum.
    My mum runs a party business and last year asked me to loan her £800 to buy some giant LED number lights for her to rent out. She basically guilt tripped me into doing this by saying she wouldn't be able to go on holiday otherwise (she didn't go at all in the end.). I was just 18 at the time and had received a letter on my birthday from my aunt who had died of cancer a year earlier, leaving me £1000 to 'do something fun with' so this was the only reason I had this amount in savings anyway. Anyway, fast forward a year and mums not had much business from the lights so has sold them on ebay, when I asked if she was going to give me my money back (she was meant to give it back after 6 months) she said I was investing in the next stage of her business despite her not knowing what that will be and I don't need the money anyway. I am financially stable thanks to my student loan, 2 part time jobs and a solid saving method but I just don't think this is fair at all? To add to this she still gets child maintenance from my dad which she is meant to give to me now I don't live at home but never has, thats 180 a month for the last 10 months.
    She's got a temper and I'm scared of confronting her so any advice would be great!
    ps. I understand family is more important than money but I'm really annoyed that my aunt wanted me to have the money to travel with or something and its instead being spent on hairbrained, failing business schemes

ReputationRep:
    Short of trying to talk to her when she's in a good mood (which is what I do with my mum lol) I don't know what else you can do tbh :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    D
    (Original post by Batgirl98)
    Short of trying to talk to her when she's in a good mood (which is what I do with my mum lol) I don't know what else you can do tbh :dontknow:
    do you think I should be asking at all though? I keep thinking oh but she paid for everything when I was a kid but tbf I didn't ask to be born hahaha. She's got bipolar so its a bit more than catching her in a good mood if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    Well you cant take her to court because there was no contract or legal documents for this loan. She is extremely wrong in not paying you back espically since you're 18 like £800 is huge. Then again its your fault for loaning her that amount when not discussing other alternatives such as...... getting an actual bank loan. I think its very wrong for her to guilt trip you. I really dunno how you can convince her dellusional mindset but if she doesn't pay back dont loan her anything again, or better yet give nothing back to her. Thats honestly quite bad seeing a mother do something like that in my opinion. If she ever asks for something like that and never pays the loan back, remind her of that. Its all about trust

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KFrostMU)
    Well you cant take her to court because there was no contract or legal documents for this loan. She is extremely wrong in not paying you back espically since you're 18 like £800 is huge. Then again its your fault for loaning her that amount when not discussing other alternatives such as...... getting an actual bank loan. I think its very wrong for her to guilt trip you. I really dunno how you can convince her dellusional mindset but if she doesn't pay back dont loan her anything again, or better yet give nothing back to her. Thats honestly quite bad seeing a mother do something like that in my opinion. If she ever asks for something like that and never pays the loan back, remind her of that. Its all about trust
    I did initially say no but she kept going on about how much she needed a holiday and how unfair it would be to deny my little brother a holiday because I wouldn't lend her the money. Probably naive of me but you dont expect your mum to do this to you

ReputationRep:
    Which she never went to. Besides could she not get a bank loan?

(Original post by shaunnaob)
    I did initially say no but she kept going on about how much she needed a holiday and how unfair it would be to deny my little brother a holiday because I wouldn't lend her the money. Probably naive of me but you dont expect your mum to do this to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KFrostMU)
    Which she never went to. Besides could she not get a bank loan?
    I don't know if she could but she said she would pay me back within 6 months and I wasn't planning on spending the money anytime soon so I just went with it. Me and my mum used to be really close and I never expected her to do this. I think maybe she asked me instead of the bank so she wouldnt have to pay interest?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.