Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Honestly - do you judge a book by its cover? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you honestly judge a book by its cover?
    Yes.
    75.00%
    No.
    25.00%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Does the appearance of a book cover persuade or dissuade you from reading the book in question? :juggle:
    Or are you more likely to read a book if the cover looks interesting? :dumbells:
    Do you think the blurb on the back of the book also makes a difference? :banana:

ReputationRep:
    I like hardcovers over paperbacks and physical copies over eBooks.

The cover doesn't effect me, tho the title and blurb definitely does.

ReputationRep:
    I look at the title, and then the cover.
    If I'm still unsure I read the blurb and then I just decide

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I'll judge it by its cover, but usually if the blurb is interesting/eye-catching then I'll give the book a go
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofswords)
    I like hardcovers over paperbacks and physical copies over eBooks.

The cover doesn't effect me, tho the title and blurb definitely does.
    (Original post by Piña colada)
    Books that I feel uncertain about generally get a blurb read. If the blurb is a poor incentive I will simply just leave it.
    yeah the blurb is pretty important :yes:
    same here, I usually read the blurb, its a shame when there isn't much info on the blurb, a flick through the book generally happens too, to see if its any better

ReputationRep:
    You can pick them correctly by now I know which ones are bad and good and not worth reading.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I mean, I rarely read books but usually yes. The cover has to be nice and I need to like the title and the blurb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bizzy_penguin)
    Does the appearance of a book cover persuade or dissuade you from reading the book in question? :juggle:
    Or are you more likely to read a book if the cover looks interesting? :dumbells:
    Do you think the blurb on the back of the book also makes a difference? :banana:
    Yeah, Of Mice and men was extremely misleading

ReputationRep:
    I think this could apply to anything.

When I signed up for this website I was under the impression this would be a productive, student site.

One click on Relationships forum and several hours of wading through AMA's later I realised, that I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

qasim_96 ClearSky butfirst_coffee elforjg02 was that deep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)

When I signed up for this website I was under the impression this would be a productive, student site.

One click on Relationships forum and several hours of wading through AMA's later I realised, that I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

That's a good example you've used there. I joined this website thinking it was a student forum where people would help each other with work. I was in for a shock...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I use the blurbs and if unconvinced then I won't read it
    I usually go to Waterstones and ask them for recommendations though :fyi:
    books :love:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes I surely do this. If I look at the book I can tell if I have a good feelings about the plot. My intuition doesn't let me down.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredom101)
    Yeah, Of Mice and men was extremely misleading
    When I was younger I thought it was gonna be about mice but then again why would the gcse syllabus cover that...

It is indeed a student site. It can be productive too, it depends how you choose to use it

ReputationRep:
    yeah the blurb is pretty important :yes:
    same here, I usually read the blurb, its a shame when there isn't much info on the blurb, a flick through the book generally happens too, to see if its any better
    Excuse me, what is a blurb?:mute:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Hahaha you're not letting that go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butfirst_coffee)
    Hahaha you're not letting that go
    resident tsr revolutionary

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger I thought it was gonna be about mice but then again why would the gcse syllabus cover that...

It is indeed a student site. It can be productive too, it depends how you choose to use it
    Ahahahah exactly

ReputationRep:

Lmaooo you can't dodge the trashy threads that make up 90% of this site

ReputationRep:

so deep !!

ReputationRep:
    Not anymore because I read this amazing book (only read the first chapter, not done yet) and it had the most childish cover. Legit no effort in the cover AT ALL. So plain and boring. But when you opened , a Light hits your face and the book is just beautiful. Ugly on the outside but beautiful in the inside.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.