Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Who else is starting this course in September???? OuO
    I wanna meet as many people on this course before I actually start it!
    (I'll add anyone on FB if wanted :3)

Im moving from Manchester to York for this xD

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I got an unconditional offer to study Japanese and TESOL! - I understand how you feel about moving away and wanting to meet people - I get so anxious about...well, most things, and I'm moving from Gloucester to study - but I'm really looking forward to it!

I'd be happy to add you on FB, if you're still okay with that?
    (Original post by beansprout23)
    Who else is starting this course in September???? OuO
    I wanna meet as many people on this course before I actually start it!
    (I'll add anyone on FB if wanted :3)

Im moving from Manchester to York for this xD

ReputationRep:
    I'm a current student on this, when I applied last year it was so difficult to find information about the course. So figured this year I'd drop in and simply say, if you have questions about the course you can ask me. Hopefully I can settle any questions or worries you have about it.

I'm about for another 2 weeks before I fly out to Japan. So if you have questions I'll try and answer them when i can

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting this September so hey :hi:

(Original post by Veno)
    I'm a current student on this, when I applied last year it was so difficult to find information about the course. So figured this year I'd drop in and simply say, if you have questions about the course you can ask me. Hopefully I can settle any questions or worries you have about it.

I'm about for another 2 weeks before I fly out to Japan. So if you have questions I'll try and answer them when i can
    The main thing I was wondering about is that I've heard from some people that even if you have somewhere in particular you want to go to in Japan, they send the guys to Tokyo and the girls to Kobe... is this true?

Also what costs have you had to pay in order to go to Japan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by some1youdontknow)
    I'm starting this September so hey :hi:

The main thing I was wondering about is that I've heard from some people that even if you have somewhere in particular you want to go to in Japan, they send the guys to Tokyo and the girls to Kobe... is this true?

Also what costs have you had to pay in order to go to Japan?
    You do not get to pick no, however the Tokyo partner University only accepts 2 people and I believe the woman's only University also only accepts 2. [Don't think it's a bad place, it offers you a host experience on weekends where you can stay with a Japanese family on weekends, so there are advantages going there] Most Universities accept between 2 - 4 people each. We go all over the place, example, I am going to Yamagata. There are 3 Universities in Osaka accepting somewhere around 30 odd in total, so most people will end up in that City. [There are also 2 or 3 more Universities partnering with YSJ which your year will be able to go to] There are certain reasons for people being placed here and there, so if you have a preference you can always make it known. Regardless of where you go, it will be a good experience so I wouldn't worry about that.

Getting to Japan is expensive. However you can apply for a travel grant which will reimburse you for these fees. You have to have a medical before you go, I was unlucky and my University asked for a lot, I had 4 blood tests and a lung scan which cost over £200 in total, however I will get all this back. Your visa is only £19 but it then cost me £95.70 per trip to London, and I had to go twice. One to put the paperwork in and one to collect the Visa. However again I will get this money back. As for flights, you pay the first £300 and then the rest you get back. So overall while it costs a fair amount, you will get most of it back. Not to mention you get more money from finance due to the longer academic year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.