Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tonsil stones Watch

Announcements

Has anyone here ever had tonsil stones? I think I have them. Recently, I've been getting them every 10 days or so, and I only realise once I cough a couple up, and they come out easily. I saw one earlier stuck at the back of my mouth, where the tonsils are so I'm pretty sure they are tonsil stones. I think I have a sore throat more than the average person, but I'm not too sure because I don't have a sore throat a lot of the time. Maybe about once a month? I'm not sure what has caused them, or whether I should go to the GP about this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Has anyone here ever had tonsil stones? I think I have them. Recently, I've been getting them every 10 days or so, and I only realise once I cough a couple up, and they come out easily. I saw one earlier stuck at the back of my mouth, where the tonsils are so I'm pretty sure they are tonsil stones. I think I have a sore throat more than the average person, but I'm not too sure because I don't have a sore throat a lot of the time. Maybe about once a month? I'm not sure what has caused them, or whether I should go to the GP about this.
    Tonsil stones are caused by food debris getting stuck in the little pockets of your tonsils. They can be triggered by things like tonsillitis widening those pockets (so food gets stuck easier), but can also happen just by chance. Once you have them there isn't much you can do about them unfortunately. There are some things you can do to try to reduce them including gargling with mouth wash and reducing how much dairy you have, but the only way they can actually be stopped is by removing the tonsils altogether.
    A tonsillectomy on the NHS is unlikely to be approved for tonsil stones unless they are very disruptive to your life so there isn't much you can achieve by seeing a doctor. Still though, there is no harm in seeing your GP about it if you want to.

Sorry I can't give a more pleasant answer.

Yes I get them. I had tonsilitis a couple of years ago. And then this year I kept getting sore throats/swollen glands. I looked inside my mouth and saw a little white thing at the back and poked at it with a cotton bud/chopstick (lol) until it came out.

I've noticed that my tonsils have holes and pockets (from the tonsilitis I think) and nowadays, I have a look and poke a little one out roughly every week. But when I gargle salt water they disappear for a while.

Apparently the only way to completely stop it is to have your tonsils removed but the NHS will not do this unless your tonsils are really causing you health problems. The most common solution is to boil some water, add salt, let it cool then gargle this once or twice daily.

ReputationRep:
    i think I've got it right now. always hurts on the left side of my throat every time I swallow
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If it is a consistent problem and is causing you trouble, there is the possibility of removal. They won't do it unless they feel that it would be beneficial enough though. It would be worth seeing your GP just to see if you can work out the cause of this issue. It could be that your tonsils are too large. Do you have any problems with sleep like waking in the night, sleep apnoea, or snoring? If so, this along with the tonsil stones would definitely make for a good reason to see your doctor
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    i think I've got it right now. always hurts on the left side of my throat every time I swallow
    Grab a torch, and look at your throat in a mirror (or ask a very lovely person to look for you). You may need to go "aah" or semi-yawn a bit to see your tonsils.
    If you can see a little off white chunk then it's a tonsil stone. You can gargle salt water, gently poke it with a cotton bud or just leave it- it will come out eventually. If you see white marks on the surface of your tonsil it's probably an infection and you should go to your doctor. Pain like that can also just be caused by colds etc since you cough loads and cause strain.

Ok thanks everyone. I am pretty sure they are tonsil stones. They come out very easily and I have only started having problems with them for the last month or so. I'm not too fussed about them at the moment, but i When they come out, they all come out at the same time. Yesterday I looked in my mouth and saw the last one on the tonsils before it came out. I'm going to the GP today and will ask then. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I had recurrent tonsil stones for years and they caused chronic irritation. I had them removed on the NHS without too much difficulty. I saw my GP once about it and was referred to an ENT consultant who I met with twice before surgery was approved.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.