The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is it racist to be scared when walking through Asian/Muslim communities?

A walk through Whitechapel (a predominately Asian/Muslim area) was definitely a scary experience for me. The street gives off a very unusual atmosphere and looks nothing like the rest of London.

First thing I noticed was the segregation of genders. This was only specific to Muslims in the area, where men and women were mostly separated. Women in traditional clothing would be doing their grocery shopping, and groups of young to middle-aged Asian/Muslim men would just hang around the street doing nothing at all. The two rarely conversed and the only time the women talked to men was to pay for their food.

The second thing I noticed was how the Asian/Muslim men looked at non-muslims, particularly women. They literally check them out from head to toe with a weird smirk on their face, as if they've never seen a woman in their life. I saw the same thing with multiple groups of men.

All the news that I've read about Islam's intolerance on others and religious motivated crime in the area also doesn't help at all. I just wanted to nope the hell out of Whitechapel and get to the nearest tube station.

So is it racist to be scared when walking through the predominately Asian/Muslim area? On one hand, I'm pretty much labelling all Muslims in the area with negative things that I know of. I'm sure there are plenty of nice Muslims out there. On the other hand, I feel like the fear is justified when it comes to my personal safety.

Scroll to see replies

nah I don't think so
Lol you should be scared just walking out your house. There's no need to be scared of any area unless it has a reputation of daily stabbings
I live like 20 minutes away from alum rock road (if you know you know), the only thing that makes me feel uncomfortable are the road man/wannabe gangsters besides that its all cool.
I think it's hard not to have some fear. But you have to realise that most parts of London during the day are far safer than they are at night, regardless of the demographic. And that you're probably at a greater risk of harm by walking through a known gangland/being a gangster or associated with them.
Original post by Dot.Cotton
There's nothing wrong with being scared of the people who want to exterminate your entire race.

How do you STILL have an account???
Reply 6
Not if you shout 'My name is

Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas'
Reply 7
I get scared walking in most impoverished areas which likely includes most Muslim and Asian areas (even if rich people live there I’ve noticed the community appearance doesn’t reflect that.)
It's not really racist but it's a pretty judgemental. You're assuming you're not safe because they are Muslim or Asian.

I get a little scared walking past groups of chavs sometimes though so I guess you can't really help who you're scared of.
Reply 9
I can understand where you are coming from, trust me it can be hard to walk around an area with people you are unfamiliar with (in terms of difference in race and beliefs). But, to me it is a little racist. My reason is because, I feel like you're viewing the people as completely different to you and so pick out these 'flaws'. Because as a POC, I have white people ALWAYS staring at me in any area of the country. The same goes for white men who also look at me in some what a sexual way. It's not just about their race and religion, I have noticed a lot of men of different races and religions such as your typical white christian man, a black man, brown they tend to look but don't get me wrong, not all of them but trust me some do. And to be honest, there isn't nothing to fear. The people are usually nice and are always helpful. It may seem intimidating, but trust me they are not. They are all the same as us. It's like going on holiday to countries like Dubai, Egypt etc. Muslim countries. Would you feel scared to walk on the streets too? Or is it more to do with how you view Muslims in Britain differently. Because they all follow the British Values like all of us.
Reply 10
Original post by Burnheal131

First thing I noticed was the segregation of genders. This was only specific to Muslims in the area, where men and women were mostly separated.

Erm what?
Reply 11
A walk through Whitechapel (a predominately Asian/Muslim area) was definitely a scary experience for me. The street gives off a very unusual atmosphere and looks nothing like the rest of London.

First thing I noticed was the segregation of genders. This was only specific to Muslims in the area, where men and women were mostly separated. Women in traditional clothing would be doing their grocery shopping, and groups of young to middle-aged Asian/Muslim men would just hang around the street doing nothing at all. The two rarely conversed and the only time the women talked to men was to pay for their food.

The second thing I noticed was how the Asian/Muslim men looked at non-muslims, particularly women. They literally check them out from head to toe with a weird smirk on their face, as if they've never seen a woman in their life. I saw the same thing with multiple groups of men.

All the news that I've read about Islam's intolerance on others and religious motivated crime in the area also doesn't help at all. I just wanted to nope the hell out of Whitechapel and get to the nearest tube station.

So is it racist to be scared when walking through the predominately Asian/Muslim area? On one hand, I'm pretty much labelling all Muslims in the area with negative things that I know of. I'm sure there are plenty of nice Muslims out there. On the other hand, I feel like the fear is justified when it comes to my personal safety.

Why would it be racist? You just feel frightened because you don't know much about them.
The asian areas are safer than both the black and the white chav areas, which is why nearly all of south London (SW excepted) is a total no go.
No it's not racist

The second thing I noticed was how the Asian/Muslim men looked at non-muslims, particularly women. They literally check them out from head to toe with a weird smirk on their face, as if they've never seen a woman in their life. .

Why does it surprise you? If their women cover themself up, it is obvious that other women are indecently dressed in their eyes.

That's creepy as sh*t and I don't blame you. My family never goes around Whitechapel either.
Reply 16
Original post by TheBBQ
Muslim areas yes, other asians you'll be okay though.

I doubt it, I remember going to southall and it was quite bad experience
A

Not racist, just a bit stupid. The areas where you're most likely to be the victim of a crime are the White working class and Afro-Caribbean areas.
Original post by Limm97

Indian Punjabi/Sikh areas tend to be awful, Hindu areas tend to be a bit better imo.
Reply 19
Original post by Limm97

Well there aren't many Hindu or Sikh grooming gangs out there so I think you will be much safer, statistically speaking when you look at how many muslim groomings gangs there are.

Latest