Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it racist to be scared when walking through Asian/Muslim communities? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limm97)
    I doubt it, I remember going to southall and it was quite bad experience
    Well there aren't many Hindu or Sikh grooming gangs out there so I think you will be much safer, statistically speaking when you look at how many muslim groomings gangs there are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    Indian Punjabi/Sikh areas tend to be awful, Hindu areas tend to be a bit better imo.
    Yeah I've been to hindu temples with my hindu friends its really nice

ReputationRep:
    Never EVER relax around them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limm97)
    I doubt it, I remember going to southall and it was quite bad experience
    Why was it bad?

ReputationRep:
    Predominantly muslim areas are must safer than any other areas. Look at the statistics, you're not racist, just an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HabibSyed)
    Predominantly muslim areas are must safer than any other areas. Look at the statistics, you're not racist, just an idiot.
    Where are the sources for your claim?

According to UKcrimstats for April 2017, the top 10 safest areas within 5 miles of Whitechapel are all predominantly Christian. Whitechapel (ranked 139 out of 168), Spitalfields and Banglatown (ranked 142 out of 168), which are predominantly are actually quite dangerous. They are pretty much up there in the list considering the fact that the bottom 20 is filled with tourist areas such as Covent Garden and Oxford Streets, which makes sense as those areas are where vulnerable tourists carrying valuables go.

It is hardly idiotic to be scared of a predominately Muslim area as a non-Muslim, when you have ridiculous **** like sharia patrol going on in Whitechapel and multiple news report of extremism at the East London Mosque.

I'm more comfortable with walking down a rough area like Hornsey than Whitechapel. If I'm attacked it is mostly because of money, and I can gladly give up whatever I have in my wallet in exchange for my safety. On the other hand, religious motivated attacks are the scariest in my opinion because those people see you as a lesser human being and just wants to **** you up for being different.

ReputationRep:
    Just bring a rottweiler on a leash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .-.-.-.-.)
    I live like 20 minutes away from alum rock road
    I feel sorry for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not racist at all, you can't help feeling the way you do. Anyone can feel intimidated when they're outnumbered by another race, I kind of feel like I'm trespassing the area for example, areas like Southall (Asian) or Brixton (Jamaican) make me feel out of place, although I'm not scared of the people as I get along with people of every race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burnheal131)

It is hardly idiotic to be scared of a predominately Muslim area as a non-Muslim, when you have ridiculous **** like sharia patrol going on in Whitechapel and multiple news report of extremism at the East London Mosque.
    This just proves the idiot part. There is no 'Sharia patrol' going on in Whitechapel, there were just two instances which happened 4 years ago and the people jailed for it were all from non-Muslim backgrounds originally. So-called Extremism at the East London Mosque doesn't affect the non-Muslim population living in Whitechapel.
    Thousands of people of all faiths and backgrounds walk thriough Whitechapel everyday and nothing happens to 99.99% of them. The area is not anymore dangerous than your average densely populated inner city area of London.

ReputationRep:
    east london is the least threatening place in england

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    Indian Punjabi/Sikh areas tend to be awful, Hindu areas tend to be a bit better imo.
    What about Indian Punjabi Hindu areas?

ReputationRep:
    A walk through Whitechapel (a predominately Asian/Muslim area) was definitely a scary experience for me. The street gives off a very unusual atmosphere and looks nothing like the rest of London.

First thing I noticed was the segregation of genders. This was only specific to Muslims in the area, where men and women were mostly separated. Women in traditional clothing would be doing their grocery shopping, and groups of young to middle-aged Asian/Muslim men would just hang around the street doing nothing at all. The two rarely conversed and the only time the women talked to men was to pay for their food.

The second thing I noticed was how the Asian/Muslim men looked at non-muslims, particularly women. They literally check them out from head to toe with a weird smirk on their face, as if they've never seen a woman in their life. I saw the same thing with multiple groups of men.

All the news that I've read about Islam's intolerance on others and religious motivated crime in the area also doesn't help at all. I just wanted to nope the hell out of Whitechapel and get to the nearest tube station.

So is it racist to be scared when walking through the predominately Asian/Muslim area? On one hand, I'm pretty much labelling all Muslims in the area with negative things that I know of. I'm sure there are plenty of nice Muslims out there. On the other hand, I feel like the fear is justified when it comes to my personal safety.
    yes it is racist and no, your fear is not bloody justified. how do people think this is ok? this is EXACTLY what the right wing media is manipulating people to feel. I would be far more scared of The Daily Mail and The Sun. You need to fight whatever prejudice you have in your brain because being scared of people purely based on their skin (because that is what you are doing, you have no other reason to be scared except because you're making judgements because of their culture) is extremely problematic.How would you feel if people were scared of you because you're white? to be honest, they would probably have more justification, considering what the white man has done to this world!

ReputationRep:
    At the very least, it is prejudice because you are making presumptions about these people based on their ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    east london is the least threatening place in england
    You must be kidding.?

I live in South London.

But places like Canning Town Custom House or East Ham is abysmal and overcrowded with Pakistani chavs. Overall East London is the worst area in London, the best is West.

ReputationRep:
    No. They're all violent people full of hatred. Its not racism, its common sense.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is depressing. I get the impression some of you would dive into the nearest bush and hide when you saw someone a bit 'Muslim looking' strolling down the street.

ReputationRep:
    If you're walking through one of these areas as a white female, you should be scared. If anything happens to you, the police might dismiss it like with Rotherham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CuriousGuy777)
    What about Indian Punjabi Hindu areas?
    I should've said 'gujarati' instead of Hindu. although on 2nd thoughts they aren't too great either (e.g. Wembley)

ReputationRep:

According to UKcrimstats for April 2017, the top 10 safest areas within 5 miles of Whitechapel are all predominantly Christian. Whitechapel (ranked 139 out of 168), Spitalfields and Banglatown (ranked 142 out of 168), which are predominantly are actually quite dangerous. They are pretty much up there in the list considering the fact that the bottom 20 is filled with tourist areas such as Covent Garden and Oxford Streets, which makes sense as those areas are where vulnerable tourists carrying valuables go.

I'm more comfortable with walking down a rough area like Hornsey than Whitechapel. If I'm attacked it is mostly because of money, and I can gladly give up whatever I have in my wallet in exchange for my safety. On the other hand, religious motivated attacks are the scariest in my opinion because those people see you as a lesser human being and just wants to **** you up for being different.
    Sharia Patrols were all conducted by MI5 agent provocateurs. Nobody in the genuine muslim community has heard of Anjem Choudary or dealt with any of that gang. They're all working for Israel.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.