Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it racist to be scared when walking through Asian/Muslim communities? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balmain SS17)
    You must be kidding.?

I live in South London.

But places like Canning Town Custom House or East Ham is abysmal and overcrowded with Pakistani chavs. Overall East London is the worst area in London, the best is West.
    it's not scary at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    I feel sorry for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just looked up this road and boy oh boy it looks like a busy area 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    there's literally 4 different pubs at whitechapel and you're telling me you feel scared to walk through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    I just looked up this road and boy oh boy it looks like a busy area 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The area is called Washwood Heath, it is massively impoverished with very high crime. Not too far from where I work, which is all too apparent given the number of times I have to call out the police every month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    The area is called Washwood Heath, it is massively impoverished with very high crime. Not too far from where I work, which is all too apparent given the number of times I have to call out the police every month.
    Crikey. Think I'll stick to my little North London neighbourhood.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Crikey. Think I'll stick to my little North London neighbourhood.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The centre of the city is lovely, just don't venture out too far.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one here who has no problem with being surrounded by people of different races?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faloodeh)
    Am I the only one here who has no problem with being surrounded by people of different races?
    Being surrounded by people of different races isn't the issue. It's the cultural differences and religious beliefs that people are concerned about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burnheal131)
    A walk through Whitechapel (a predominately Asian/Muslim area) was definitely a scary experience for me. The street gives off a very unusual atmosphere and looks nothing like the rest of London.

First thing I noticed was the segregation of genders. This was only specific to Muslims in the area, where men and women were mostly separated. Women in traditional clothing would be doing their grocery shopping, and groups of young to middle-aged Asian/Muslim men would just hang around the street doing nothing at all. The two rarely conversed and the only time the women talked to men was to pay for their food.

The second thing I noticed was how the Asian/Muslim men looked at non-muslims, particularly women. They literally check them out from head to toe with a weird smirk on their face, as if they've never seen a woman in their life. I saw the same thing with multiple groups of men.

All the news that I've read about Islam's intolerance on others and religious motivated crime in the area also doesn't help at all. I just wanted to nope the hell out of Whitechapel and get to the nearest tube station.

So is it racist to be scared when walking through the predominately Asian/Muslim area? On one hand, I'm pretty much labelling all Muslims in the area with negative things that I know of. I'm sure there are plenty of nice Muslims out there. On the other hand, I feel like the fear is justified when it comes to my personal safety.
    No, it's occupied territory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    it's not scary at all.
    Well yeah it's not threatening to someone who lives and is accustomed to the environment.

But for someone who lives in a rural area like Northumberland or Berkshire or some ish, then East London will have them feeling they visited a third world country and have their hearts pulsating when passing by all these toothless chavs with their hands halfway down their tracksuit bottoms looking like they are fiddling with their manly bits.

It's disgusting!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the Whitechapel thing, I did feel a bit scared walking through it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faloodeh)
    Nah. You ain't the only one boo

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's racist.

ReputationRep:
    Not racist but perhaps prejudice.

ReputationRep:
    It just means that you're slightly pathetic, and is a definite indicator that you should get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armastia833)
    If you're walking through one of these areas as a white female, you should be scared. If anything happens to you, the police might dismiss it like with Rotherham.
    Yes... The world is desperate for white females...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOONA.)
    It's not racist at all, you can't help feeling the way you do. Anyone can feel intimidated when they're outnumbered by another race, I kind of feel like I'm trespassing the area for example, areas like Southall (Asian) or Brixton (Jamaican) make me feel out of place, although I'm not scared of the people as I get along with people of every race.
    An elderly relative was mugged 4 time in 3 years when she in a tower block in Islington. the police caught all the criminals all were men one was white British, two were black and one was south Asia. She because scared of every young man that she saw on her estate.

ReputationRep:
    considering what they have done/are still doing, definitely not.

Same with black communities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burnheal131)
    A walk through Whitechapel (a predominately Asian/Muslim area) was definitely a scary experience for me. The street gives off a very unusual atmosphere and looks nothing like the rest of London.

First thing I noticed was the segregation of genders. This was only specific to Muslims in the area, where men and women were mostly separated. Women in traditional clothing would be doing their grocery shopping, and groups of young to middle-aged Asian/Muslim men would just hang around the street doing nothing at all. The two rarely conversed and the only time the women talked to men was to pay for their food.

The second thing I noticed was how the Asian/Muslim men looked at non-muslims, particularly women. They literally check them out from head to toe with a weird smirk on their face, as if they've never seen a woman in their life. I saw the same thing with multiple groups of men.

All the news that I've read about Islam's intolerance on others and religious motivated crime in the area also doesn't help at all. I just wanted to nope the hell out of Whitechapel and get to the nearest tube station.

So is it racist to be scared when walking through the predominately Asian/Muslim area? On one hand, I'm pretty much labelling all Muslims in the area with negative things that I know of. I'm sure there are plenty of nice Muslims out there. On the other hand, I feel like the fear is justified when it comes to my personal safety.
    I feel as unsafe in Whitechapel as any other traditionally low income area, because the crime rates are usually higher. As an Asian, I don't think its racist to feel unsafe in that kind of atmosphere. You go to India and you have the same situation, a bunch of asian blokes in groups standing outside shops staring - its creepy as ****.
    I mean I'd feel as unsafe in a working class asian neighbourhood as a working class white or black neighbourhood.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.