The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is it racist to be scared when walking through Asian/Muslim communities?

Scroll to see replies

I know this is about race but i get scared when i walk past men at night but im not sexist. i do get scared if i walk past gangsters or people with their face covered at night. not of skin colour or religion.
Original post by BonsaiColony
Only go there for the sweet corn and samosas

I don't see any loitering around there though. It's not even as bad as Chinatown.
Original post by Rainfall
I know this is about race but i get scared when i walk past men at night but im not sexist. i do get scared if i walk past gangsters or people with their face covered at night. not of skin colour or religion.

As a young woman whatever ethnic you are you are safer walking around at night time than a young man. A young man is more likely to be the victim of crime than a young woman at night. You should be more scared of young women because they more likely to attack you than young men.
Original post by looloo2134
As a young woman whatever ethnic you are you are safer walking around at night time than a young man. A young man is more likely to be the victim of crime than a young woman at night. You should be more scared of young women because they more likely to attack you than young men.

well more man have attacked me so ... not for me
Original post by Burnheal131
A walk through Whitechapel (a predominately Asian/Muslim area) was definitely a scary experience for me. The street gives off a very unusual atmosphere and looks nothing like the rest of London.

First thing I noticed was the segregation of genders. This was only specific to Muslims in the area, where men and women were mostly separated. Women in traditional clothing would be doing their grocery shopping, and groups of young to middle-aged Asian/Muslim men would just hang around the street doing nothing at all. The two rarely conversed and the only time the women talked to men was to pay for their food.

The second thing I noticed was how the Asian/Muslim men looked at non-muslims, particularly women. They literally check them out from head to toe with a weird smirk on their face, as if they've never seen a woman in their life. I saw the same thing with multiple groups of men.

All the news that I've read about Islam's intolerance on others and religious motivated crime in the area also doesn't help at all. I just wanted to nope the hell out of Whitechapel and get to the nearest tube station.

So is it racist to be scared when walking through the predominately Asian/Muslim area? On one hand, I'm pretty much labelling all Muslims in the area with negative things that I know of. I'm sure there are plenty of nice Muslims out there. On the other hand, I feel like the fear is justified when it comes to my personal safety.

It's definitely racist.It's their own thinking and choice to do whatever they want.When we Muslim don't judge you from your environment,we don't expect others to judge us.And women don't like to talk to men because it's her own decision.It's her religion and yes of course there are some boundries and limits while talking to a man because a Muslim women doesn't want to be checked out by some pervs or be taken for granted.
And not all Muslims are bad or I would say very less muslims are like that.I am a Muslim and I won't ever even say let alone do something to someone I don't even know.Our religion asks for peace .Sorry,if my tone is harsh but it felt bad for anyone to judge you
Reply 65
Original post by Burnheal131
A walk through Whitechapel (a predominately Asian/Muslim area) was definitely a scary experience for me. The street gives off a very unusual atmosphere and looks nothing like the rest of London.

First thing I noticed was the segregation of genders. This was only specific to Muslims in the area, where men and women were mostly separated. Women in traditional clothing would be doing their grocery shopping, and groups of young to middle-aged Asian/Muslim men would just hang around the street doing nothing at all. The two rarely conversed and the only time the women talked to men was to pay for their food.

The second thing I noticed was how the Asian/Muslim men looked at non-muslims, particularly women. They literally check them out from head to toe with a weird smirk on their face, as if they've never seen a woman in their life. I saw the same thing with multiple groups of men.

All the news that I've read about Islam's intolerance on others and religious motivated crime in the area also doesn't help at all. I just wanted to nope the hell out of Whitechapel and get to the nearest tube station.

So is it racist to be scared when walking through the predominately Asian/Muslim area? On one hand, I'm pretty much labelling all Muslims in the area with negative things that I know of. I'm sure there are plenty of nice Muslims out there. On the other hand, I feel like the fear is justified when it comes to my personal safety.

Deep down you were only afraid of Jack the Ripper.
"Is it racist to be scared when walking through Asian/Muslim communities?"

I'm not.
Then, I'm not a 12 year old white girl.
so now we are labelling groups by faith?
Original post by TheBBQ
Well there aren't many Hindu or Sikh grooming gangs out there so I think you will be much safer, statistically speaking when you look at how many muslim groomings gangs there are.

Latest

Trending

Trending