Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you eat dinner around the table? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Whether at your family home or elsewhere, do you normally eat dinner around the dining table, or elsewhere? :yum:

Do you like the setup you have, or would you rather it be different?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah usually, do you?

ReputationRep:
    We eat at the dining room table when said table isn't piled up with ironing. However ironing or not, we absolutely always eat at the dining room table for Christmas, Easter, etc. My son would prefer eating while in his bed, with the duvet over him, on the wretched X Box. I usually make him come downstairs. But sometimes I can't be bothered as he sits in silence, wolfs his food down, says "Thanks" and is usually straight back upstairs again, leaving me sitting alone. Sigh. Sometimes it's easier to just go up to his room and give him his dinner up there. When that's the case I can't be bothered sitting alone at the table, so have it on my knee, with the TV or laptop on for company. [ I've actually recently bought myself a plastic, easily wiped large pinafore/bib as I kept spilling things down myself due to not sitting at the table.] Serves me right for being a slob.

ReputationRep:
    Usually not, but then again I am a barbaric Northerner.

ReputationRep:
    You always come up with some really good questions, by the way.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I eat it in my room like a social person.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes yeah if there's no one in the kitchen but sometimes I just go upstairs and eat it anywhere

ReputationRep:
    Yeah with the family

ReputationRep:
    At uni I eat every meal I ever have in my room.
    At home I never eat with my family (but still eat at the dining table) and I am grateful for that. I can't possibly imagine having to eat every dinner with my parents. I'd rather not eat...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stewart Dent)
    Yeah usually, do you?
    I actually don't if I'm at home! With my OH, we try to eat at the table at least some of the time, but my family don't tend to eat at the table unless it's a special occasion, such as Christmas

(Original post by markova21)
    You always come up with some really good questions, by the way.
    Thank you, really pleased you think so
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Nah we usually eat it on the sofa whilst watching TV or sometimes I sit on the dining table on my own with my laptop whilst everyone else sits and eats in front of the TV.

ReputationRep:
    Occasionally, but we mostly sit in front of the TV.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we all sit at the table and turn the tv off. It's family time

ReputationRep:
    Get our of here; this isn't Hollywood.

ReputationRep:
    Between my boyfriend's home and my home we tend to eat at the table. It's not treated as stereotypical family time, we're all adults. TV on, and a good natter if anything interesting has happened in our day.

ReputationRep:
    Of course we do, what's the other option, eating under the table?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirrology)
    Nah we usually eat it on the sofa whilst watching TV or sometimes I sit on the dining table on my own with my laptop whilst everyone else sits and eats in front of the TV.
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Occasionally, but we mostly sit in front of the TV.
    Is this really a thing?!

ReputationRep:
    Yes almost always.

ReputationRep:
    I live alone so generally just eat it on the sofa unless it's going to be messy etc. When I go home again only really eat at the table if it's a big/messy meal. Otherwise we just use like TV dinner trays.

ReputationRep:
    Always. Probably​ eaten around a dinner table a dozen times.

It's a chance for family time because my parents are always busy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.