Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you eat dinner around the table? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    **** no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    Is this really a thing?!
    No. Nobody has ever eaten dinner in the living room, ever.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if we're all home at the same time or not, as my dad works odd shifts. Also, my sister doesn't like a lot of the meals we eat and I have dietary requirements, so sometimes its separate as we need to cook different things so it's spread out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even have a table.

ReputationRep:
    We don't actually have a dining table... :eating:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    No. Nobody has ever eaten dinner in the living room, ever.
    That's pretty common: nowadays rooms aren't as strictly divided as they used to be. Modern design has introduced open and multifunctional spaces, so it's definitely normal to have a table large enough to eat at in what you'd call the kitchen or the living room.

But having dinner without a table seems complicated and unusual. On the sofa, with plates and everything on your knees? Watching TV? That seems very peculiar, I can understand how it might happen sporadically, on certain particular occasions, but I had no idea people did it routinely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    That's pretty common: nowadays rooms aren't as strictly divided as they used to be. Modern design has introduced open and multifunctional spaces, so it's definitely normal to have a table large enough to eat at in what you'd call the kitchen or the living room.

But having dinner without a table seems complicated and unusual. On the sofa, with plates and everything on your knees? Watching TV? That seems very peculiar, I can understand how it might happen sporadically, on certain particular occasions, but I had no idea people did it routinely.
    Yeah it's fine, just put the plate on your lap and sit up straight. You can even put it on a tray if you want to be extra efficient.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, is something special about eating meals around a table it has always signified a time to connect and enjoy good food and good company.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only one ever at the table. If my Dad is at work I will be up in my room since my Mum doesn't care how long I'm on my computer.

ReputationRep:
    We eat every meal around the table. No phones, books, ipads etc are allowed whilst we're eating, as it's a time to spend with your family. We catch up on each others days, and just generally talk

ReputationRep:
    Not much for family so my desk is my dining table

ReputationRep:
    Rarely, normally in my room sitting on my office chair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, I either sit on the floor in the living room whilst my family are watching TV (no discussion allowed tho so I just have my ear/headphones in :rolleyes:)
    Or I eat it in my room

We only ever use the dining table for Christmas. ATM our dining table is home to a hamster

ReputationRep:
    Occasionally, but we mostly sit in ground with family.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, the sounds of chewing, lip smacking and the clink clanking of cutlery on plates makes my skin crawl and I get unreasonably angry / agitated by the whole thing.

Edit: We'll usually eat dinner in our living room sat on the couch.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.