Announcements

ReputationRep:
    **** no
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    Is this really a thing?!
    No. Nobody has ever eaten dinner in the living room, ever.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if we're all home at the same time or not, as my dad works odd shifts. Also, my sister doesn't like a lot of the meals we eat and I have dietary requirements, so sometimes its separate as we need to cook different things so it's spread out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even have a table.

ReputationRep:
    We don't actually have a dining table... :eating:

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    No. Nobody has ever eaten dinner in the living room, ever.
    That's pretty common: nowadays rooms aren't as strictly divided as they used to be. Modern design has introduced open and multifunctional spaces, so it's definitely normal to have a table large enough to eat at in what you'd call the kitchen or the living room.

But having dinner without a table seems complicated and unusual. On the sofa, with plates and everything on your knees? Watching TV? That seems very peculiar, I can understand how it might happen sporadically, on certain particular occasions, but I had no idea people did it routinely.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That's pretty common: nowadays rooms aren't as strictly divided as they used to be. Modern design has introduced open and multifunctional spaces, so it's definitely normal to have a table large enough to eat at in what you'd call the kitchen or the living room.

But having dinner without a table seems complicated and unusual. On the sofa, with plates and everything on your knees? Watching TV? That seems very peculiar, I can understand how it might happen sporadically, on certain particular occasions, but I had no idea people did it routinely.
    Yeah it's fine, just put the plate on your lap and sit up straight. You can even put it on a tray if you want to be extra efficient.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, is something special about eating meals around a table it has always signified a time to connect and enjoy good food and good company.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only one ever at the table. If my Dad is at work I will be up in my room since my Mum doesn't care how long I'm on my computer.

ReputationRep:
    We eat every meal around the table. No phones, books, ipads etc are allowed whilst we're eating, as it's a time to spend with your family. We catch up on each others days, and just generally talk

ReputationRep:
    Not much for family so my desk is my dining table

ReputationRep:
    Rarely, normally in my room sitting on my office chair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, I either sit on the floor in the living room whilst my family are watching TV (no discussion allowed tho so I just have my ear/headphones in :rolleyes:)
    Or I eat it in my room

We only ever use the dining table for Christmas. ATM our dining table is home to a hamster

ReputationRep:
    Occasionally, but we mostly sit in ground with family.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, the sounds of chewing, lip smacking and the clink clanking of cutlery on plates makes my skin crawl and I get unreasonably angry / agitated by the whole thing.

Edit: We'll usually eat dinner in our living room sat on the couch.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. We only eat around the table for Xmas dinner. Otherwise it's always on the sofa
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Of course we do, what's the other option, eating under the table?
    I can't help but quote myself. I'm appalled at the number of people stating they don't eat around a table.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but quote myself. I'm appalled at the number of people stating they don't eat around a table.
    It's comfortable to eat on the floor.

Though I've never eaten on a table in my life.

ReputationRep:
    In my own room usually

ReputationRep:
    we always used to when i was little, but now my mums a vegan and i'm not so i tend to make food for myself and eat in my room, while they eat theirs watching tv. i can't remember when it changed really

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.