Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to gain weight Watch

Announcements

So I'm 18 years old (girl) who weighs about 50kg + (not sure how much exactly) and around 5ft 4' how could I gain weight quickly/ healthily I feel I am too skinny around my arms in general but legs are fine, generally when I gain weight its around my legs, but I'm not sure how to gain weight evenly elsewhere. I heard that eating around 2000 calories ontop of your normal meals is a good way to gain weight

ReputationRep:
    eat peanut butter straight out the jar

(Original post by Angry Bird)
    eat peanut butter straight out the jar

ReputationRep:
    Increasing your protein intake and doing exercises designed to build strength will help to increase your muscle mass. Otherwise, just make sure that you're eating a balanced diet and not eating fewer calories than you should (apps like My Fitness Pal are a good way to keep track of what you're eating each day). Also, if you're losing weight without trying or really struggling to put it on, it might be worth asking your GP for a blood test to check your thyroid function.

ReputationRep:
    Don't drink water before meals. This can fill your stomach and make it harder to get in enough calories. Eat more often. Drink milk. Try weight gainer shakes

ReputationRep:
    Eat more calories than you're burning - you can find calorie calculators all over the internet, so they['re not in short supply. From here, eating a surplus of 250-500 calories will get you to stable, healthy weight gain. Of course, eating healthily will keep you both looking and feeling good in this time.

Calorie and nutrient dense foods you might want to eat: nuts, nut butters, increased oil in cooking, avocado, some breads, seeds, some red meats and mass gainer shakes (previous poster already said this but it may bare repeating).

Hope that helps.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.