Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you think of a guy if he was a college drop out? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on the personality. Obviously a guy would need to be intelligent and ambitious. You can be those things without a degree. However I'd also want someone who could stick things out when they got difficult or boring and someone could self motivate and someone who wasn't flaky and always doing something different - I'm not saying you are any of those things but intelligence isn't the only problem with a college drop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .-.-.-.-.)
    He does that selling dream-box service thing, its basically a service that allows you to get access to all TV channels for cheap. I am pretty sure its illegal, so kinda sucks.

If you are asian you probz know what I am on about.
    How long has he been doing it?

Hopefully he hasn't wasted all the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    How long has he been doing it?

Hopefully he hasn't wasted all the money.
    If I remember correctly he started in year 10 thats like 4 year ago
    Back in the days, me and him were kind of like best friends he used to generously buy me steam games and gave me paypal money. Once he sent a razer kraken headset and some other expensive stuff to my address, my parents got pretty angry at me for that and if I recall correctly they told me to not take free stuff/gifts from him again.

I am sure he hasn't wasted all the money, but he is 19 so... its expected that he spends a large sum of his monthly income on just 'enjoying' life in his own way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm asking because there is a strong possibility I will be one, for no reason other than a lack of interest both in my chosen degree and in the whole educational system.

(I don't know how to say this without sounding either a ; tw*t, pretentious tw*t, d*ickhead or anything of a similar description..) I am pretty smart, that's one of my defining features that people comment on, be it friends, strangers, men or women, people say I am probably the most intelligent person they know.

I want to achieve, I want to be rich, I intend on being rich. I want to be an entrepreneur, I want to build as many successful businesses as I can.

I also sing, play guitar and write songs, I post covers online that have made me weirdly famous around my town, (just stupid **** like girls wanting pictures on nights out etc)..

I don't really switch off, I'm either learning something on the guitar, messing around with lyrics, learning to trade stocks, design and create jewellery, learning about the law around owning a business, SEO, web design and development, app development, learning about mens fashion, style, making money selling designer clothes online etc.

I've always been nervous that if I was to not go to college, or I was to drop out that people would look down on me because of it, sure Bill Gates did it, so did Zuckerberg but I am not them, I have not done what they have done as of yet. I would just be the smart lad who dropped out of college.

But, what would you think?
    Zukerburg and Gates dropped out of college because of one common reason. They had actual companies they were working on. At the time Zukerburg was sooo busy with Facebook, he had no actual time for college. Same for Gates, he was too busy with Microsoft.

These guys had something to work on, they had their goals, their ambitions, they knew what they were doing (to some extent). This is unlike the vast majority of dropouts which have no idea and only dropout cause they don't like it, boo hoo.

Only dropout if you know its not right for you, like your time is spent doing something else soo much that you dont have time for college. But I seriously doubt that, i suspect that you just didnt choose the right college classes/not have many friends and that is why you don't like it.

I wouldn't drop out right now, I'd do a year, change classes, meet new friends, join the music social society, do a sports etc. and see if your view changes. If it is the same, then whilst your at college, find an apprenticeship or job that has actual career and make the switch.

Don't just drop out, with no job, no other career, no other choices, because that is the worst thing you can do.

(Original post by aware1)
    Zukerburg and Gates dropped out of college because of one common reason. They had actual companies they were working on. At the time Zukerburg was sooo busy with Facebook, he had no actual time for college. Same for Gates, he was too busy with Microsoft.

These guys had something to work on, they had their goals, their ambitions, they knew what they were doing (to some extent). This is unlike the vast majority of dropouts which have no idea and only dropout cause they don't like it, boo hoo.

Only dropout if you know its not right for you, like your time is spent doing something else soo much that you dont have time for college. But I seriously doubt that, i suspect that you just didnt choose the right college classes/not have many friends and that is why you don't like it.

I wouldn't drop out right now, I'd do a year, change classes, meet new friends, join the music social society, do a sports etc. and see if your view changes. If it is the same, then whilst your at college, find an apprenticeship or job that has actual career and make the switch.

Don't just drop out, with no job, no other career, no other choices, because that is the worst thing you can do.
    I said that just after the statement about Zuckerberg and Gates, I'm fully aware of the difference in situation.

I can never be entirely certain it is not for me, I have done a year, I did join the music society, I played sports, I hated the year.
    I felt like I was just jumping through the hoops, when I'm put on the same platform as the other 200+ students in my course, I am no better, I know I will not make a good employee unless I am someone who is a founding member, someone who has some direction over the trajectory of the company.

I talked to my professors about my results/college year, not one of them doubts I would fly through the repeats and subsequent years, but my heart is not in it.
    I assumed college would be a place of learning, not just rote learning out of a book like I've done for my school years, I assumed it would actually challenge you mentally, that you would have to think and be somewhat innovative.. that only existed in one module, Business Information Systems, every complained about how difficult and stupid it was, it had the highest failure rate but I loved it, it was the sole lecture I genuinely enjoyed attending.
    But the most important thing about it was, it was a study of why businesses failed, and why some succeeded, why some people made a huge sum of money and why some failed. We were reviewing strengths and weaknesses, competitive advantage. It was the only module where the book was not at all recommended.

I liked it because it thought me something valuable that is applicable to what I want to do.
    I have no intention, as I've previously stated, in working full time as an employee, unless I was one of the first few at a start up.

If I was to do another year of my course I would only have one year left in total, it's 3 years, I need to do exceptionally well in my second year because that's what employers/post-graduate positions look at, then continue that into third year and hopefully do well enough to get into a masters programme. (first year does not count) I can't see myself doing as well as I would want to do if i was to continue with my degree.

I do not want to just get a job or an apprenticeship, I want to be self employed, it's very easy to say 'oh everyone would love to be a millionaire', but how many people are going to put themselves in that position, I hear it so often but they're a bloody teacher, they earn a set income and they have no means of making a substantial sum of money relatively quickly. I want to at least give myself the chance to do well in that respect.

I do not know if college is for me, I thought I would meet a lot of like minded individuals, people who want to start bands, play music, start fun side projects, start businesses, generally be proactive, but even at a very highly accredited University, everyone was just there to go out and get drunk, that was fun but it's not something I want to continue to do and I'm not sure college is either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I said that just after the statement about Zuckerberg and Gates, I'm fully aware of the difference in situation.

I can never be entirely certain it is not for me, I have done a year, I did join the music society, I played sports, I hated the year.
    I felt like I was just jumping through the hoops, when I'm put on the same platform as the other 200+ students in my course, I am no better, I know I will not make a good employee unless I am someone who is a founding member, someone who has some direction over the trajectory of the company.

I talked to my professors about my results/college year, not one of them doubts I would fly through the repeats and subsequent years, but my heart is not in it.
    I assumed college would be a place of learning, not just rote learning out of a book like I've done for my school years, I assumed it would actually challenge you mentally, that you would have to think and be somewhat innovative.. that only existed in one module, Business Information Systems, every complained about how difficult and stupid it was, it had the highest failure rate but I loved it, it was the sole lecture I genuinely enjoyed attending.
    But the most important thing about it was, it was a study of why businesses failed, and why some succeeded, why some people made a huge sum of money and why some failed. We were reviewing strengths and weaknesses, competitive advantage. It was the only module where the book was not at all recommended.

I liked it because it thought me something valuable that is applicable to what I want to do.
    I have no intention, as I've previously stated, in working full time as an employee, unless I was one of the first few at a start up.

If I was to do another year of my course I would only have one year left in total, it's 3 years, I need to do exceptionally well in my second year because that's what employers/post-graduate positions look at, then continue that into third year and hopefully do well enough to get into a masters programme. (first year does not count) I can't see myself doing as well as I would want to do if i was to continue with my degree.

I do not want to just get a job or an apprenticeship, I want to be self employed, it's very easy to say 'oh everyone would love to be a millionaire', but how many people are going to put themselves in that position, I hear it so often but they're a bloody teacher, they earn a set income and they have no means of making a substantial sum of money relatively quickly. I want to at least give myself the chance to do well in that respect.

I do not know if college is for me, I thought I would meet a lot of like minded individuals, people who want to start bands, play music, start fun side projects, start businesses, generally be proactive, but even at a very highly accredited University, everyone was just there to go out and get drunk, that was fun but it's not something I want to continue to do and I'm not sure college is either.
    In that case its simple. First join a startup in an area you like. Whether sports, Technology related. Music related etc. That way you can learn from the start-up, how they operate, work etc. Then after a year you can leave and make your own company .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.