The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever completed a foundation year for engineering course at uni

I am hopefully going to study civil engineering at southampton if results go to plan. Has anyone on here completed this foundation year which involves a lot of maths and physics at southampton or other unis.

I haven't looked at physics or maths properly since gcse as I didn't do them for A level, hence the foundation year. Should I start revising basic maths and physics again or am I alright going into the year with little a level knowledge?
It wouldn't hurt at all to brush up a little. If you haven't done any maths or physics since GCSE then you're in for quite the challenge, not particularly at foundation level, but certainly at degree level.
Reply 2
I did a foundation year at Coventry University in 2014. My memory isn't the best, but i believe that even if you didn't do maths or physics a level you should be able to get by. I had people who had gone to work as and then came back into the foundation and passed with flying colours. (The more complex mathematical and physics content came when i hit first year, foundation didn't really compare, but thats because i was very comfortable during my foundation year)The 'hardest' parts would've been: Matrices, Electrical engineering (which would be physics ohm's law and such), and Mechanics (I suggest looking through mechanics 1). If you know these topics then it makes parts of it 'Easy' but if you don't you should be able to get through it with enough time. As long as you're comfortable with maths and physics you will be able to complete a foundation year. You just have make sure you spend a lot of time on the stuff you do struggle with. Also, check the universities modules for the course.
Reply 3
Original post by 3andahalf
It wouldn't hurt at all to brush up a little. If you haven't done any maths or physics since GCSE then you're in for quite the challenge, not particularly at foundation level, but certainly at degree level.

Brushing up on your maths and physics knowledge is a really good suggestion, just check the modules and even potentially email the uni to find out what is involved in the modules so you know what to look at. Don't stress yourself out bout it though mate
Original post by Tom Downey
I am hopefully going to study civil engineering at southampton if results go to plan. Has anyone on here completed this foundation year which involves a lot of maths and physics at southampton or other unis.

I haven't looked at physics or maths properly since gcse as I didn't do them for A level, hence the foundation year. Should I start revising basic maths and physics again or am I alright going into the year with little a level knowledge?

Ha what a coincidence, I completed an engineering foundation year at Uos. A lot of the maths and physics is what you'll find in maths A-level. I'd suggest you look at the syllabus and try revise a little before beginning your foundation year considering your highest degree of maths/physics is GCSE.
Reply 5
Original post by Tom Downey

I did an engineering foundation course of the back of some bad a level results :colonhash:
On the course i did it was pretty much a recap of what i did at a-level plus a little bit more. The foundation is there for a reason, to help people who don't have the maths and physics requirements so you don't 100% need to scrub up on these things however it wouldn't hurt to scrub up on the basics. I'd say take advantage of all the resources available to you, if you don't understand something ask as it's possible it'll cover the basis of entire modules in the future, also make use of any maths help the university offers. Some uni's do a weekly drop in session with PG students where they will sit and help you answer questions. Once you've got the basics sorted you'll be fine.

Good Luck
Reply 6
Original post by Valkyron
Brushing up on your maths and physics knowledge is a really good suggestion, just check the modules and even potentially email the uni to find out what is involved in the modules so you know what to look at. Don't stress yourself out bout it though mate

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it mate!
Reply 7
Original post by 1c8e2
I did an engineering foundation course of the back of some bad a level results :colonhash:
On the course i did it was pretty much a recap of what i did at a-level plus a little bit more. The foundation is there for a reason, to help people who don't have the maths and physics requirements so you don't 100% need to scrub up on these things however it wouldn't hurt to scrub up on the basics. I'd say take advantage of all the resources available to you, if you don't understand something ask as it's possible it'll cover the basis of entire modules in the future, also make use of any maths help the university offers. Some uni's do a weekly drop in session with PG students where they will sit and help you answer questions. Once you've got the basics sorted you'll be fine.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply!
Reply 8
Original post by Mindthegap95
Ha what a coincidence, I completed an engineering foundation year at Uos. A lot of the maths and physics is what you'll find in maths A-level. I'd suggest you look at the syllabus and try revise a little before beginning your foundation year considering your highest degree of maths/physics is GCSE.

Cheers for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending