Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need CV help, suggestions, comments? Happy to help! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

OK so first thing - I don't claim to be a superior expert in CV writing or give any guarantees it's going to get you hired, I'm just a pretty ordinary but career focused dude with a couple weeks spare. But I've spent a lot of time rewriting my cv for financial orientated programmes and jobs, received a lot of tips and advice from many people in top firms and I genuinely like helping if I think I can make a contribution, so if you're looking for a fresh pair of eyes to comment and critique on your CV then I'd love to help.

I'm not going to rewrite your CV for you but I'll happily make some specific comments that can give it the boost it needs:

Formatting, size, margins, bullet points, consistently, grammar, bullet points, spelling mistakes, consolidation of information, removal of irrelevant info etc, introduction of new information - just some of the general areas that is worth reviewing to make your CV in tip top shape.

So, yeah feel free to PM me directly and I'll get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    What do places think about black and white CVs? I only had a black and white printer but my actual CV was blue and black (a bit like this site!) And I heard one of the people I had an interview with call my CV boring because of the colours compared to someone who did a load of graphics design on it. Does colour really matter or is it content? And i'm asking as a teenager applying for a part time job not a full time career (so pubs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theOrangeJuice)
    What do places think about black and white CVs? I only had a black and white printer but my actual CV was blue and black (a bit like this site!) And I heard one of the people I had an interview with call my CV boring because of the colours compared to someone who did a load of graphics design on it. Does colour really matter or is it content? And i'm asking as a teenager applying for a part time job not a full time career (so pubs)
    Black and white is default, safe and standard. Stick with it.

CV's are glanced within a couple of seconds, and if colour is distracting them away from content then you've failed at the first hurdle.

Even if you're just applying for a part time job, you're going to be interviewed and considered by those who have hired people full time or experienced hires and colours is not very common. Incorporating colour IMO is risky and tacky and would probably adversely effect your application.

ReputationRep:
    hold that thought bro, might message you in a couple of days/weeks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.