Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

stroke volume needs some clarifications Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i am just reading data analyzing the question
    i am not posting whole question just a bit where i get confused

questions says that comparison of stroke vol between athletes and students
    it says that stroke vol of athletes is higher than stroke vol in students
    stroke volume is volume of blood pumps out by ventricle.
    it says that training increased the strength of muscle in left ventricle.
    but it doesnt make sense to me

can anyone explain this to me

what i am thinking before is that
    there would be age difference so size of heart ( ventricle may be bigger)....

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is right, but this is what I assume the question is implying:
    1) Athletes train regularly in sport, whereas the average student probably doesn't.
    2) During exercise, muscle cells respire more quickly to generate energy for contraction, and so the heart must pump more quickly to deliver oxygen to these cells.
    3) Over time, if the athlete trains regularly, the increases in heart rate brought about by exercise will strengthen the muscles of the ventricle walls (as increasing the heart rate increases contraction of the muscle). This means that the athlete's heart will pump a greater volume of blood with each beat, as it is able to contract more strongly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth_H)
    Not sure if this is right, but this is what I assume the question is implying:
    1) Athletes train regularly in sport, whereas the average student probably doesn't.
    2) During exercise, muscle cells respire more quickly to generate energy for contraction, and so the heart must pump more quickly to deliver oxygen to these cells.
    3) Over time, if the athlete trains regularly, the increases in heart rate brought about by exercise will strengthen the muscles of the ventricle walls (as increasing the heart rate increases contraction of the muscle). This means that the athlete's heart will pump a greater volume of blood with each beat, as it is able to contract more strongly.
    you are right
    but the thing i don't understand is that

, if the athlete trains regularly, the increases in heart rate brought about by exercise will strengthen the muscles of the ventricle walls (as increasing the heart rate increases contraction of the muscle). This means that the athlete's heart will pump a greater volume of blood with each beat, as it is able to contract more strongly

so i understood about strengthen the muscle so it pumps blood more forcefully
    so strengthen muscle links with more/ high pressure than normal but how it will increase the volume of the ventricle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qer)
    you are right
    but the thing i don't understand is that

, if the athlete trains regularly, the increases in heart rate brought about by exercise will strengthen the muscles of the ventricle walls (as increasing the heart rate increases contraction of the muscle). This means that the athlete's heart will pump a greater volume of blood with each beat, as it is able to contract more strongly

so i understood about strengthen the muscle so it pumps blood more forcefully
    so strengthen muscle links with more/ high pressure than normal but how it will increase the volume of the ventricle

Well thought-it WONT increase the volume of the ventricle.

During the pumping of the heart, the ventricle isn't completely cleared. Would be a hell of a job to do. But with stronger muscles, the pressure in the ventricles is even greater, so more is cleared in athletes than the students they tested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuentinM)
    Well thought-it WONT increase the volume of the ventricle.

During the pumping of the heart, the ventricle isn't completely cleared. Would be a hell of a job to do. But with stronger muscles, the pressure in the ventricles is even greater, so more is cleared in athletes than the students they tested
    thanks
    finally, it makes sense now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.