Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to fix the BBC gender pay gap Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    That was a bit tongue in cheek.

You forget how much extra income MP's make on second jobs. Perhaps when they reach PM status they won't be unable to do much outside of the primary role but, you only have to look at the breakdown on the link below to see in a year, some are capable of earning in excess of £700,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/inve...cond-jobs.html

I should imagine that most of the cabinet are from backgrounds that enable them to have property, stocks and shares etc bringing in a nice sum each year as a top up to the measly £60-140k salary pa.
    Okay, but who on that (BBC) list do you think is underpaid? Effectively the BBC is using our money to buy champagne for themselves, and we've got people complaining that the champagne isn't being shared with BBC women. If a company overcharges you and splits the bonus 70:30 between two employees, do you give the 30% person more money or do you demand the excess back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    Even better idea... Enslave them, maintain output and save money.
    O dam I've been outdone

ReputationRep:
    The people making this about gender are aware they're letting the BBC off the hook right? With the license fee cost despite austerity, inflation and the worsening of living conditions the real issue why are we paying talentless twerps this much money to sit and (mostly) present stuff I couldn't care less if it was presented by mickey mouse. I don't watch MOTD for the pretentious crisp man and I can't even name a newscaster.

The real issue is how can they justify paying people so much in this climate. But sure, let's all complain that a woman earns less than a man with no further context to the argument - in the same way the UFC is showing its misandry because Rousey (a woman) is the highest paid star across all genders?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomH97)
    Okay, but who on that (BBC) list do you think is underpaid? Effectively the BBC is using our money to buy champagne for themselves, and we've got people complaining that the champagne isn't being shared with BBC women. If a company overcharges you and splits the bonus 70:30 between two employees, do you give the 30% person more money or do you demand the excess back?

Obviously its not that simple. You have to look at what the individual brings to the table. For example, if Gary Liniker can bring in a few more million viewers to his show than another host be it male or female, then the employer will have to make a financial, commercial decision based on that. He then also has a savy agent who is able to negotiate the best deal possible for him and the BBC it seems are happy to pay that.

Perhaps the other 'lesser paid' personalities haven't got the best negotiators working for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Obviously its not that simple. You have to look at what the individual brings to the table. For example, if Gary Liniker can bring in a few more million viewers to his show than another host be it male or female, then the employer will have to make a financial, commercial decision based on that. He then also has a savy agent who is able to negotiate the best deal possible for him and the BBC it seems are happy to pay that.

Perhaps the other 'lesser paid' personalities haven't got the best negotiators working for them.
    Reading that, it seems you don't think there's sexism, just there are agents able to negotiate markedly higher fees for the more popular presenters and possibly the BBC might have too much cash lying around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhog)
    It's not as simple as that, we are talking the Humph being brought down to the same salary as a new presenter. People have been in their roles for different lengths of time and even the notion that they do 'the same job' is far from a given. Humphreys hosts Mastermind and that will be a well paid gig going into his pot, Vine hosts Eggheads, they all have their fingers on a few pies and that makes it pointless to say all presenters on Today ought to be paid the same.
    I wasn't saying everyone should be paid the same. I was saying you should get the same amount as the different gender to you for doing the same role.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.