Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: I'm not criticising anyone I'm just genuinely curious and want to hear your experiences. Please no hate!!

So, I thought uni would be a place where people went because they liked learning and knowledge, and were there to engage with their subject and were interested in it.
    But at my uni, people do as little work as possible and don't engage with reading and just don't seem to care...all they talk about is going out and pre drinks, and I feel like a geek because I actually like the seminars and want to discuss the subject etc.
    I wondered if my uni was like that because they literally offered a place to everyone regardless of grades (myself included) and so I wondered if the students who went there were ones who were not as academic (nothing wrong with that) and other unis would be different??
    Or is everywhere like this??

ReputationRep:
    People go to uni because they think it means by getting a degree gurantees big money. They learn eventually though. Its not worth 9k a year probs 2-3 max

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    People go to uni because they think it means by getting a degree gurantees big money. They learn eventually though. Its not worth 9k a year probs 2-3 max

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I second this. Also, as someone who is starting university (hopefully) this Sept, I've heard far too many people telling me that they are going to university for "the experience". What does that even mean? Going out drunk every other night and absconding lectures? Hell, if you are going to pay 9k a year for "the experience", give me that 9k instead and I'll buy you a year's supply of beer with it and keep the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethnonsense)
    I wondered if my uni was like that because they literally offered a place to everyone regardless of grades (myself included) and so I wondered if the students who went there were ones who were not as academic (nothing wrong with that) and other unis would be different??
    Or is everywhere like this??
    ^THIS. It's pretty obvious that a university with lower academic entry criteria is going to admit less academically able students. And 'less academically able' could also be correlated with 'less academically focussed' (of course, not all - but maybe a general rule).

My question is why did you apply to this university and accept a place, if this was your mentality towards it? Surely you knew that you were going to end up unhappy, because the ethos of the institution didn't fit with your own views? Or did you do very badly in your examinations and didn't really have a choice?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Got Milk)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nonsense. Stop making such sweeping generalisations.

For many people the degree is directly career related and needed in order to get into their chosen profession which can be degree only.

Some degrees pay off handsomely and for those which do not, then the debt is written off eventually, so its only quasi debt.

ReputationRep:
    There will be interested people, you simply need to find them. Go to departmental societies maybe.

Also bear in mind, there is more than interest a specific subject to a person's character. People have lives to lead apart from their studies too, and mistaking not wanting to talk about their subjects every hour of the day (or even enjoying a raucous drinking life) for a lack of academic interest is a mistake you shouldn't make.

A lot of people do go to uni for the wrong reasons, including but not limited to wanting to doss for a few years, interest in subject, thoughts about their future employability, and simply being convinced they ought to. Perhaps your uni (I don't which it is, what the people you know do, et cetera) contains less of the second. I don't know. Not every uni does though.

ReputationRep:
    Im actually worried about this! I like going out etc but in the group chat I'm in for my uni, that seems to be all they want to do
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

No, and please get over yourself and stop with this generalising drivel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.