Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tory right demanding dictatorial news management powers Watch

ReputationRep:
    Pro-Brexit Tory ministers Liam Fox and Andrea Leadsom are demanding that the BBC only report Brexit economic news favourable to their viewpoint.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...brexit-stories

Weird that this party now has no majority in Parliament yet demands dictatorial powers over the main national broadcaster.

Should the BBC cave in? Or should it tell these jumped up neo-fascist creepoids of the hard right to **** off?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this the main plot point to King Charles III dissolving parliament in the drama Charles III ..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    Isn't this the main plot point to King Charles III dissolving parliament in the drama Charles III ..?
    Yes indeed. That was dismissed by the critics as implausible. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    He's right that the BBC have been biased regarding Brexit, where they really should be impartial. While they shouldn't not report on something anti-Brexit just because they've already done some articles detailing the negative effects, they should also report on positive effects, and not include the inferences 'despite Brexit' etc.

They also hate Trump, hate Corbyn and love Manchester United.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomH97)
    He's right that the BBC have been biased regarding Brexit, where they really should be impartial. While they shouldn't not report on something anti-Brexit just because they've already done some articles detailing the negative effects, they should also report on positive effects, and not include the inferences 'despite Brexit' etc.

They also hate Trump, hate Corbyn and love Manchester United.
    What positive effects have we seen so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    What positive effects have we seen so far?
    Easier to get a job, more tourism and stronger manufacturing. Other industries have faltered of course, and employers have less people to choose from but if there's a winner and a loser due to Brexit then the BBC tend to focus on the loser.

ReputationRep:
    Easier to get a job, more tourism and stronger manufacturing. Other industries have faltered of course, and employers have less people to choose from but if there's a winner and a loser due to Brexit then the BBC tend to focus on the loser.
    I can understand with less people wanting to apply here, but there are also many jobs that are relocated to Dublin, Frankfurt, and Paris?

The increased tourism, particularly from the rich Chinese for shopping, I'll give you that. I've read this in the news.

I'm not sure about the stronger manufacturing though, where does that come from?

I think it's just that the negatives have so far greatly outweighed the few positives. I don't think the BBC is being biased in the case of Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    Increases in tourism into the UK have been driven by the weak pound. That's not much recompense for all of us being made 20% poorer by global standards. It's also why pretty much everything is getting more expensive in the shops, whilst wages remain stagnant.

Manufacturing is actually experiencing a downturn right now. The growth in the economy after the Brexit vote was mainly caused by a surge in money printing by the Bank of England and by a big increase in consumer debt. Both are now under pressure. The Brexit recession is about to develop more strongly.

This is why the idiot Brexit maniacs in the Tory party are desperate to control the news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    I can understand with less people wanting to apply here, but there are also many jobs that are relocated to Dublin, Frankfurt, and Paris?

The increased tourism, particularly from the rich Chinese for shopping, I'll give you that. I've read this in the news.

I'm not sure about the stronger manufacturing though, where does that come from?

I think it's just that the negatives have so far greatly outweighed the few positives. I don't think the BBC is being biased in the case of Brexit.
    The jobs haven't relocated yet, but some EU workers who would have come are deciding not to. These are short term effects though, and a lot of the positives are in part due to a weak pound in the same way the negatives are in part due to instability, rather than Brexit itself which has yet to manifest properly.

Perhaps too the BBC can't help but be more likely to interview Remainers, as most of the establishment and experts (or 'experts') wanted to remain, and they will invariably discuss Brexit in negative terms so the quotes will be biased. However, given that the staff at the BBC are generally Remainers, they need to be careful that their own bias doesn't affect what should be impartial journalism. It is small things like, as Fox says, using despite Brexit, or that something good is surprising after Brexit. It's the spin coming from the author's own way of thinking and expectations - what they write is in line with their way of thinking but they're putting their own inferences and conclusions into an article that should just be factual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Increases in tourism into the UK have been driven by the weak pound. That's not much recompense for all of us being made 20% poorer by global standards. It's also why pretty much everything is getting more expensive in the shops, whilst wages remain stagnant.
    I agree it's been driven by the weak pound, but the implication you make in your last sentence is the sort of bias the BBC needs to be careful of. Wages have been stagnant (or worse) for long before Brexit, and while Brexit may be extending this, the BBC shouldn't be concluding Brexit is at fault.

Manufacturing is actually experiencing a downturn right now. The growth in the economy after the Brexit vote was mainly caused by a surge in money printing by the Bank of England and by a big increase in consumer debt. Both are now under pressure. The Brexit recession is about to develop more strongly.

This is why the idiot Brexit maniacs in the Tory party are desperate to control the news.
    I thought it was doing pretty well, also due to a weak pound with exports growing.

Yes, Fox would like the BBC to only report positives about Brexit, but I also think he's right about the BBC being biased against. Surely you have come across the sorts of stories that he is talking about?

ReputationRep:
    Pro-Brexit Tory ministers Liam Fox and Andrea Leadsom are demanding that the BBC only report Brexit economic news favourable to their viewpoint.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...brexit-stories

Weird that this party now has no majority in Parliament yet demands dictatorial powers over the main national broadcaster.

Should the BBC cave in? Or should it tell these jumped up neo-fascist creepoids of the hard right to **** off?

I demand you change "Pro-Brexit Tory ministers Liam Fox and Andrea Leadsom are demanding that the BBC only report Brexit economic news favourable to their viewpoint.", it's disingenuous.

Liam Fox has demanded a meeting with the BBC’s director general in a letter where he complains that the corporation consistently runs negative stories about the economic effects of Brexit.

The international trade secretary wrote to Tony Hall to ask for a face-to-face meeting about the coverage, which the Liberal Democrats said was the behaviour of “a tin-pot dictator”.

In the letter, Fox said he “could not recall a single time in recent times when I have seen good *economic news that the BBC did not describe as ‘despite Brexit’”.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I agree it's been driven by the weak pound, but the implication you make in your last sentence is the sort of bias the BBC needs to be careful of. Wages have been stagnant (or worse) for long before Brexit, and while Brexit may be extending this, the BBC shouldn't be concluding Brexit is at fault.

I thought it was doing pretty well, also due to a weak pound with exports growing.

Yes, Fox would like the BBC to only report positives about Brexit, but I also think he's right about the BBC being biased against. Surely you have come across the sorts of stories that he is talking about?
    I haven't heard the BBC claim that stuck income levels are due to Brexit. I've heard the BBC report that the plunge in the £ is Brexit-driven, which has the benefit of being true.

The Brexiteers are scared stiff that the media will (now that the markets and consumers have grown more sceptical about outcomes) focus on the growing number of economic negatives that will inevitably accompany a departure from the Single Market and the Customs Union. As Heseltine pointed out this morning, we are about to leave the realm of optimistic and ridiculous ideology and confront the harsh realities of the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Also reported this morning that Liam Fox, in his negotiations with the US, is accepting that chlorine-washed chickens and mass quantities of GM food will be able to freely enter the UK. No doubt they will not be labelled, so as to avoid frightening the consumers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not surprised. The Tories still hold a grudge against the BBC for not acting as a propaganda service during the Falklands war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I'm not surprised. The Tories still hold a grudge against the BBC for not acting as a propaganda service during the Falklands war.
    I imagine they get tips from their charming allies in Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Poland, all high on the "we love you"-list for Tory ministers these days.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with GM, it is the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The BBC is treading on thin ice, functioning like a reborn Pravda for Remain. People are already appalled at the high levels pay financed by the Licence Fee poll tax, the disgusting gender pay gap and the way it pissed money away on vanity projects like its new HQ.

Sorting out its terrible pay policy is going to cost them big bucks, it will extend to every female employed there. They will all have a claim. We will all have to pay for their sexist (and racist) incompetence, that won't be popular.

Now this flagrant political bias will be added to the widespread contempt it is held by so many. Brexit is shaking up the whole country, and it could destroy the indefensible funding model of this failing organisation. Licence fee extortion on threat of prison to fund all this propaganda garbage for Remain in a referendum they lost? Give me a break.

The BBC needs to try and do what is in its charter. Objective news reporting without a political bias. Reflect the whole nation and not the metroplitan luvvie left and the losers of the referendum. Above all don't be traitors to the country.

Step back from the brink here, or you could be a casualty of Brexit, BBC scumbags.

ReputationRep:
    demanding that the BBC only report Brexit economic news favourable to their viewpoint
    Can you provide a direct quote that amounts to same, or is this #FakeNews?

Most sensible and intellectually honest Remainers would accept that certain establishment media organisations (which, incidentally, the Guardian has arguably been becoming, since Rusbridger departed) have put more than a hint of skew on some of their coverage of Brexit-related issues, and have scarcely contained their conceited condescention on virtually all Trump-related 'news' :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Can you provide a direct quote that amounts to same, or is this #FakeNews?
    How else can we read it? They want the negative stories to stop and therefore only good news about Brexit to be published.

There's a name for this - state control of propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    How else can we read it?
    You got a 2:1 without being able to read, analyse, and interpret source material objectively? Dear God, standards be slippin'

They want the negative stories to stop and therefore only good news about Brexit to be published
    As above, please provide a direct quote concordant with this claim, or else I would amend your posts for accuracy (as per Section 127 Aricle 2 (b) of the Communications Act, 2003), or Fox et al. may come after you next! :woo:

There's a name for this - state control of propaganda
    You'll be familiar with how the BBC is regulated, it's charter, etc. It is not subject to the same scrutiny as other broadcasters; and, where it deviates from its charter, and particularly where it consistently acts as to undermine/destabilise and at a time of social unease and economic/political upheaval, clearly there is a case for concerned officials to call it to account, firmly in the national interest

This is not the same as exercising direct control, or introducing propaganda. Instead, as you will surely appreciate, it is a case of introducing balance and reminding the organisation of its role, remit, and influence/impact. I'm no fan of Fox or Leadsome, myself, and ever wary of the cold hand of statist/corporatist interference in civil affairs/society, indeed I have written that "now is the time to pursue more pluralistic, open, and transparent modes of public discourse and politics, across all institutions."

What we are seeing is not pluralism, but fairly infantile reductionist polarisation, which serves no-one but the likes of Soros and his fellow sociopath pals in the city, who are (undertandably) rather fond of ruinously binary outcomes, no matter what the human/long term societal cost. The BBC should know better than to play into this trap, even if the (CIA/Mossad/SIS) NWO placemen embedded within the organisation do make life rather tricky for those still inclined to do the decent thing i.e. the right thing, by the license fee paying public :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.