The Student Room Group

Tory right demanding dictatorial news management powers

Pro-Brexit Tory ministers Liam Fox and Andrea Leadsom are demanding that the BBC only report Brexit economic news favourable to their viewpoint.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/23/liam-fox-demands-meeting-with-bbc-over-negative-brexit-stories

Weird that this party now has no majority in Parliament yet demands dictatorial powers over the main national broadcaster.

Should the BBC cave in? Or should it tell these jumped up neo-fascist creepoids of the hard right to **** off?

Scroll to see replies

Isn't this the main plot point to King Charles III dissolving parliament in the drama Charles III ..? :biggrin:
Original post by CTLevers
Isn't this the main plot point to King Charles III dissolving parliament in the drama Charles III ..? :biggrin:

Yes indeed. That was dismissed by the critics as implausible. :teehee:
Reply 3
He's right that the BBC have been biased regarding Brexit, where they really should be impartial. While they shouldn't not report on something anti-Brexit just because they've already done some articles detailing the negative effects, they should also report on positive effects, and not include the inferences 'despite Brexit' etc.

They also hate Trump, hate Corbyn and love Manchester United.
Reply 4
Original post by ThomH97
He's right that the BBC have been biased regarding Brexit, where they really should be impartial. While they shouldn't not report on something anti-Brexit just because they've already done some articles detailing the negative effects, they should also report on positive effects, and not include the inferences 'despite Brexit' etc.

They also hate Trump, hate Corbyn and love Manchester United.

What positive effects have we seen so far?
Reply 5
Original post by TheBBQ
What positive effects have we seen so far?

Easier to get a job, more tourism and stronger manufacturing. Other industries have faltered of course, and employers have less people to choose from but if there's a winner and a loser due to Brexit then the BBC tend to focus on the loser.
Reply 6
Original post by ThomH97
Easier to get a job, more tourism and stronger manufacturing. Other industries have faltered of course, and employers have less people to choose from but if there's a winner and a loser due to Brexit then the BBC tend to focus on the loser.

I can understand with less people wanting to apply here, but there are also many jobs that are relocated to Dublin, Frankfurt, and Paris?

The increased tourism, particularly from the rich Chinese for shopping, I'll give you that. I've read this in the news.

I'm not sure about the stronger manufacturing though, where does that come from?

I think it's just that the negatives have so far greatly outweighed the few positives. I don't think the BBC is being biased in the case of Brexit.
Original post by ThomH97

Increases in tourism into the UK have been driven by the weak pound. That's not much recompense for all of us being made 20% poorer by global standards. It's also why pretty much everything is getting more expensive in the shops, whilst wages remain stagnant.

Manufacturing is actually experiencing a downturn right now. The growth in the economy after the Brexit vote was mainly caused by a surge in money printing by the Bank of England and by a big increase in consumer debt. Both are now under pressure. The Brexit recession is about to develop more strongly.

This is why the idiot Brexit maniacs in the Tory party are desperate to control the news.
Reply 8
Original post by TheBBQ
I can understand with less people wanting to apply here, but there are also many jobs that are relocated to Dublin, Frankfurt, and Paris?

The increased tourism, particularly from the rich Chinese for shopping, I'll give you that. I've read this in the news.

I'm not sure about the stronger manufacturing though, where does that come from?

I think it's just that the negatives have so far greatly outweighed the few positives. I don't think the BBC is being biased in the case of Brexit.

The jobs haven't relocated yet, but some EU workers who would have come are deciding not to. These are short term effects though, and a lot of the positives are in part due to a weak pound in the same way the negatives are in part due to instability, rather than Brexit itself which has yet to manifest properly.

Perhaps too the BBC can't help but be more likely to interview Remainers, as most of the establishment and experts (or 'experts') wanted to remain, and they will invariably discuss Brexit in negative terms so the quotes will be biased. However, given that the staff at the BBC are generally Remainers, they need to be careful that their own bias doesn't affect what should be impartial journalism. It is small things like, as Fox says, using despite Brexit, or that something good is surprising after Brexit. It's the spin coming from the author's own way of thinking and expectations - what they write is in line with their way of thinking but they're putting their own inferences and conclusions into an article that should just be factual.
Reply 9
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Increases in tourism into the UK have been driven by the weak pound. That's not much recompense for all of us being made 20% poorer by global standards. It's also why pretty much everything is getting more expensive in the shops, whilst wages remain stagnant.
I agree it's been driven by the weak pound, but the implication you make in your last sentence is the sort of bias the BBC needs to be careful of. Wages have been stagnant (or worse) for long before Brexit, and while Brexit may be extending this, the BBC shouldn't be concluding Brexit is at fault.

Manufacturing is actually experiencing a downturn right now. The growth in the economy after the Brexit vote was mainly caused by a surge in money printing by the Bank of England and by a big increase in consumer debt. Both are now under pressure. The Brexit recession is about to develop more strongly.

This is why the idiot Brexit maniacs in the Tory party are desperate to control the news.
I thought it was doing pretty well, also due to a weak pound with exports growing.

Yes, Fox would like the BBC to only report positives about Brexit, but I also think he's right about the BBC being biased against. Surely you have come across the sorts of stories that he is talking about?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Pro-Brexit Tory ministers Liam Fox and Andrea Leadsom are demanding that the BBC only report Brexit economic news favourable to their viewpoint.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/23/liam-fox-demands-meeting-with-bbc-over-negative-brexit-stories

Weird that this party now has no majority in Parliament yet demands dictatorial powers over the main national broadcaster.

Should the BBC cave in? Or should it tell these jumped up neo-fascist creepoids of the hard right to **** off?

I demand you change "Pro-Brexit Tory ministers Liam Fox and Andrea Leadsom are demanding that the BBC only report Brexit economic news favourable to their viewpoint.", it's disingenuous.

Liam Fox has demanded a meeting with the BBC’s director general in a letter where he complains that the corporation consistently runs negative stories about the economic effects of Brexit.

The international trade secretary wrote to Tony Hall to ask for a face-to-face meeting about the coverage, which the Liberal Democrats said was the behaviour of “a tin-pot dictator”.

In the letter, Fox said he “could not recall a single time in recent times when I have seen good *economic news that the BBC did not describe as ‘despite Brexit’”.

Thank you.
Original post by ThomH97
I agree it's been driven by the weak pound, but the implication you make in your last sentence is the sort of bias the BBC needs to be careful of. Wages have been stagnant (or worse) for long before Brexit, and while Brexit may be extending this, the BBC shouldn't be concluding Brexit is at fault.

I thought it was doing pretty well, also due to a weak pound with exports growing.

Yes, Fox would like the BBC to only report positives about Brexit, but I also think he's right about the BBC being biased against. Surely you have come across the sorts of stories that he is talking about?

I haven't heard the BBC claim that stuck income levels are due to Brexit. I've heard the BBC report that the plunge in the £ is Brexit-driven, which has the benefit of being true.

The Brexiteers are scared stiff that the media will (now that the markets and consumers have grown more sceptical about outcomes) focus on the growing number of economic negatives that will inevitably accompany a departure from the Single Market and the Customs Union. As Heseltine pointed out this morning, we are about to leave the realm of optimistic and ridiculous ideology and confront the harsh realities of the real world.
Also reported this morning that Liam Fox, in his negotiations with the US, is accepting that chlorine-washed chickens and mass quantities of GM food will be able to freely enter the UK. No doubt they will not be labelled, so as to avoid frightening the consumers.
I'm not surprised. The Tories still hold a grudge against the BBC for not acting as a propaganda service during the Falklands war.
Original post by Quantex
I'm not surprised. The Tories still hold a grudge against the BBC for not acting as a propaganda service during the Falklands war.

I imagine they get tips from their charming allies in Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Poland, all high on the "we love you"-list for Tory ministers these days.
Nothing wrong with GM, it is the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The BBC is treading on thin ice, functioning like a reborn Pravda for Remain. People are already appalled at the high levels pay financed by the Licence Fee poll tax, the disgusting gender pay gap and the way it pissed money away on vanity projects like its new HQ.

Sorting out its terrible pay policy is going to cost them big bucks, it will extend to every female employed there. They will all have a claim. We will all have to pay for their sexist (and racist) incompetence, that won't be popular.

Now this flagrant political bias will be added to the widespread contempt it is held by so many. Brexit is shaking up the whole country, and it could destroy the indefensible funding model of this failing organisation. Licence fee extortion on threat of prison to fund all this propaganda garbage for Remain in a referendum they lost? Give me a break.

The BBC needs to try and do what is in its charter. Objective news reporting without a political bias. Reflect the whole nation and not the metroplitan luvvie left and the losers of the referendum. Above all don't be traitors to the country.

Step back from the brink here, or you could be a casualty of Brexit, BBC scumbags.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Can you provide a direct quote that amounts to same, or is this #FakeNews?

How else can we read it? They want the negative stories to stop and therefore only good news about Brexit to be published.

There's a name for this - state control of propaganda.
Original post by Foo.mp3
The BBC should know better than to play into this trap, even if the (CIA/Mossad/SIS) NWO placemen embedded within the organisation do make life rather tricky for those still inclined to do the decent thing i.e. the right thing, by the license fee paying public :rolleyes:

It must be hard working at the Beeb and never being quite sure which spy agency your colleagues belong to. :rolleyes:

I imagine Fox, Leadsom and the very strange people they represent will also be trying to squeeze this morning's troubling news on UK growth from the IMF off the BBC news bulletins.
It's easy to find bias everywhere if we look for it, the Beeb and many journos out there are accused of it by both sides on the Israeli/Palestinian issue. Sometimes it will be the case that viewers are themselves projecting their own biased analysis, that approach of the 'you're either with us or against' variety. In fact, a quick browse through this thread failed to pinpoint anything palpable: where is the hard example of this bias, what channel and program was that? Much exagerated, in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest