Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

are mood swings like this normal? Watch

Announcements

im 17 and generally at this age i wouldnt think much of mood swings but the past year or so they've been getting a lil more noticeable

as a side not i have really bad anxiety and am generally depressed and super unmotivated. i stay inside most the time.
    my levels of anxiety can change drastically too.

i get 3-day span-like periods where im either happy, depressed or kinda a mix.

the thing that bothers me is that the swings can hit suddenly. sometimes when im in a depressed mood i'll suddenly feel excited but still unmotivated, kinda like im more energetic and my heart will beat faster, but i still remember why im depressed.

when im a good mood i'll want to speak more. when im not i dont speak to anyone.

the different levels of anxiety i get dont seem to correspond with the swings, but if i feel more anxious one day i'll be more depressed and in a bad mood

my memory is awful and thinking about stuff like this is kinda hard. i get confused a lot of the time.

thx
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by cloudyeyes)
    im 17 and generally at this age i wouldnt think much of mood swings but the past year or so they've been getting a lil more noticeable

as a side not i have really bad anxiety and am generally depressed and super unmotivated. i stay inside most the time.

the thing that bothers me is that the swings can hit suddenly. sometimes when im in a depressed mood i'll suddenly feel excited but still unmotivated, kinda like im more energetic and my heart will beat faster, but i still remember why im depressed.

when im a good mood i'll want to speak more. when im not i dont speak to anyone.

the different levels of anxiety i get dont seem to correspond with the swings, but if i feel more anxious one day i'll be more depressed and in a bad mood

my memory is awful and thinking about stuff like this is kinda hard. i get confused a lot of the time.

thx
    Hi

If I were you hen id go and see the GP and get them to diagnose you. maybe its just anxiety or maybe it is bipolar? Its important to speak to someone and get a diagnosis because then you can get treatment plus you know whats wrong.
    If nothings wrong then you have that reassurance as well.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bipolar.../Symptoms.aspx

You can also speak to Mind
    https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

Bipolar UK Support line
    Support Line on 0333 323 3880

Take care

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as 999tigger has said it's best to have a word with your GP and explain everything you've explained in the OP so that they can give you a qualified answer. But it does seem like you're right anxiety and depression probably are the main cause so try not to worry too much and be sure to see your doctor about it.

ReputationRep:

thx
    No, they are not normal. But, unlike others, I'd advise you to stay away from your GP. Mood swings are incurable. They will just prescribe you *****y antidepressants or, if they think you are bipolar - mood stabilisers which will probably do you more harm than good, since your case is not severe.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    No, they are not normal. But, unlike others, I'd advise you to stay away from your GP. Mood swings are incurable. They will just prescribe you *****y antidepressants or, if they think you are bipolar - mood stabilisers which will probably do you more harm than good, since your case is not severe.
    Although you do make a fair point that medication is not always necessary, diagnosis or just seeing a doctor can still be helpful and you can always refuse medication.
    Mood swings are a natural thing and not technically curable, but if there is something causing escalated mood swings then they can be reduced to be made less impactful.

I for instance used to get rather significant mood swings when I was suffering depression. I could go from feeling fine to feeling incredibly sad. Although I still have mood swings to this day, the emotions involved are far less extreme.
    In my case this is partially down to medication (which I will not had no significant negative impact on me), but also therapy.
    Therapy and counselling can be very helpful especially in less severe or earlier cases of depression and anxiety. The best way to get access to this is often via your GP.
    Therapy has also helped me to deal emotionally with some issues relating to learning difficulties which previously caused me distress. I do not take medication for these things as it's something I feel would do more harm than good, but therapy has helped me to accept them as part of me and to work alongside them rather than fight them.

I know some people can have bad experiences where doctors just push pills, but it's not always the case and seeing your GP can be a very beneficial experience.
    I would suggest OP is cautious about starting medications and has a good think about what is discussed with a dr, getting a second opinion if something sounds dodgy, but I would still advise they see their GP.

feel the same

ReputationRep:

thx
    Is there anything in your lifestyle that could be causing this? Maybe family problems, or some other sort of unresolved issue, or maybe a lack of stability.

Sorry if I'm sounding judgemental; just thought it could be a possibility.

Edit: How much sleep do you get? If you have bad memory and get confused easily, try getting some more sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Although you do make a fair point that medication is not always necessary, diagnosis or just seeing a doctor can still be helpful and you can always refuse medication.
    Mood swings are a natural thing and not technically curable, but if there is something causing escalated mood swings then they can be reduced to be made less impactful.

I for instance used to get rather significant mood swings when I was suffering depression. I could go from feeling fine to feeling incredibly sad. Although I still have mood swings to this day, the emotions involved are far less extreme.
    In my case this is partially down to medication (which I will not had no significant negative impact on me), but also therapy.
    Therapy and counselling can be very helpful especially in less severe or earlier cases of depression and anxiety. The best way to get access to this is often via your GP.
    Therapy has also helped me to deal emotionally with some issues relating to learning difficulties which previously caused me distress. I do not take medication for these things as it's something I feel would do more harm than good, but therapy has helped me to accept them as part of me and to work alongside them rather than fight them.

I know some people can have bad experiences where doctors just push pills, but it's not always the case and seeing your GP can be a very beneficial experience.
    I would suggest OP is cautious about starting medications and has a good think about what is discussed with a dr, getting a second opinion if something sounds dodgy, but I would still advise they see their GP.
    Oh, of course minor mood swings are pretty normal, but I think the OP's case is a little bit more serious (that's what I meant)

(Original post by Brain Damage)
    Is there anything in your lifestyle that could be causing this? Maybe family problems, or some other sort of unresolved issue, or maybe a lack of stability.

Sorry if I'm sounding judgemental; just thought it could be a possibility.

Edit: How much sleep do you get? If you have bad memory and get confused easily, try getting some more sleep.
    not really. i asleep a lot, 12 hours a day generally when i dont have work
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    not really. i asleep a lot, 12 hours a day generally when i dont have work
    You might want to take a look at some sites like mind.org and sane.org for some info on mh issues like depression and anxiety to see if they sound realistic to you. Any form of mh problem brings with is emotional stress and that can lead to mood swings. They can be felt to various extents and it's also possible that one is developing, so not yet fully formed.
    In any of these cases it's a good idea to see your GP for some advice, look at the advice on mind.org and sane.org and consider some counselling or therapy. Medication is also an option in some cases, but I would usually try therapy first as medication usually has side effects etc.

It could also be possible that you have a slight physical issue (like a vitamin deficiency) which could cause mood swings, tiredness etc. Things like that can actually trigger mh problems too due to the stress your body is under.

So anyway I would suggest you have a look at mind.org and sane.org, think about any symptoms you have, write it all down and go see your GP. They're better suited to think about probable causes and the best treatment options.

(Original post by Kindred)
    You might want to take a look at some sites like mind.org and sane.org for some info on mh issues like depression and anxiety to see if they sound realistic to you. Any form of mh problem brings with is emotional stress and that can lead to mood swings. They can be felt to various extents and it's also possible that one is developing, so not yet fully formed.
    In any of these cases it's a good idea to see your GP for some advice, look at the advice on mind.org and sane.org and consider some counselling or therapy. Medication is also an option in some cases, but I would usually try therapy first as medication usually has side effects etc.

It could also be possible that you have a slight physical issue (like a vitamin deficiency) which could cause mood swings, tiredness etc. Things like that can actually trigger mh problems too due to the stress your body is under.

So anyway I would suggest you have a look at mind.org and sane.org, think about any symptoms you have, write it all down and go see your GP. They're better suited to think about probable causes and the best treatment options.
    thank u!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the other posters that it's important to go to your gp to get everything checked and rule out certain things like thyroid and maybe blood sugar level. You can see what they say about medication but I am not even sure they diagnose or hand out medicine that easily to a 17 yr old, which is just as well. I'd look into a medications they suggest and if you try them, see how it goes, don't feel you have to continue with it. But I do think it's often better not to go down that road. Exercise naturally makes you produce feel-good hormones and just makes you healthier and feel better, team sports might be good as well as then you're having fun with other people. Physical contact like a hug can be important in feeling connected to people...Having a pet might help as well...a cat or dog can be pretty therapeutic but that might not be practical right now - it can help take your mind off yourself if you're the one doing the looking after or I guess it could make you more stressed. Your feelings might naturally balance out by themselves, might be different when you leave home and go to uni, you might just need a big change.

ReputationRep:
    yes seek therapy but don't take a prescribe medication it can make you worse.. you probably just need some one to talk to vent about things your going through like this site is a good outlet to talk about how your feeling or what your going through . i go through these same issues with mood swings its best to find something you love to do .. try new things take walks to clear your head , listen to music .. meditate and keep your self busy so you won't think about your mood swings and say positive things about your self everyday.. say that these mood swings will not take your happiness you will overcome in this journey called life.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I have something similar to you (but my mood swings were more emotional breakdowns that could cycle in just one day) and as such was initally given a diagnosis of cyclothymia. I went through my university so skipped the GP part and saw a psychiatrist but I do recommend going to see your GP. As for medication, I have so far refused any. Regardless of the above 'advice', it is up to you whether you want to take meds or not. With any luck your GP will be useful and take your wished on board should you refuse meds but in the end it is up to you. Just please don't suffer alone if you can't cope anymore.

Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.