The Student Room Group

What am I gonna do with myself?!

Ok, so basically, I'm in Year 10 going to Year 11, so I've started looking at sixth forms and colleges. I really want to go to City and Islington, but I'm worried about making friends there.

I've basically had problems with making friends since primary school and I can't understand why I can't find anything in common with anyone; even though I try to be as respectful and considerate as possible.

I have recently been depressed due to something that you could call a 'friendship breakup', I guess? This person basically took me for granted and didn't appreciate my kindness in any way. Eventually, he started to become very over confident and obnoxious, and I don't like those qualities in a person, so I ignored him. But it made me feel like I had no one left to talk to in my school; everyone's pretty much settled in their cliques, so I have to jump from one group to another, and I feel horrible for doing it.

However, I don't want this to continue into sixth form, which is why I won't be returning to my school for Year 12. But if anyone from Candi does read this, would you mind telling me what the students are like, and if the school itself is welcoming at all? I'm not naturally shy (I'm really into stuff like drama and politics), but my social anxiety means I get a bit nervous when I see a group of people I don't know.

I guess what I'm asking is - are the students generally friendly and welcoming?
Reply 1
In Sixth Form is more about the studies than friends, you get to go home early you know
Original post by The RAR
In Sixth Form is more about the studies than friends, you get to go home early you know

Well said, spot on
Original post by The RAR

Of course it's about the studies, it's just that I feel there is more to sixth form than that.
Reply 4
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Of course it's about the studies, it's just that I feel there is more to sixth form than that.

You mean apart from the fancy uniform, the heavy books you have to carry and the amount of revision you have to do everyday? Sixth Form is like the gate to real life, you cannot afford to mess about.
Original post by The RAR
You mean apart from the fancy uniform, the heavy books you have to carry and the amount of revision you have to do everyday? Sixth Form is like the gate to real life, you cannot afford to mess about.

I completely understand what you're saying, however I don't think that wanting to have a few friends in sixth form is 'messing about'. I want to do well so I can go to uni, but I also want to have time left over to talk to new people and also to discover some new interests.

Quick Reply

Latest