Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will study either maths or maths with economics at university. However, neither of Oxford or Cambridge offers a combined course, so if I apply to one of these it should be either maths or economics. I would prefer to study maths than economics but it's more difficult to get into a maths course, especially with the admission tests. So I am thinking of applying for economics at either of the 2 as it would be easier to get in. However my other choices would be a mixture of maths and maths with econ so it would be a bit complicated to write a good personal statement.
    What do you think I should do?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukn1122)
    I will study either maths or maths with economics at university. However, neither of Oxford or Cambridge offers a combined course, so if I apply to one of these it should be either maths or economics. I would prefer to study maths than economics but it's more difficult to get into a maths course, especially with the admission tests. So I am thinking of applying for economics at either of the 2 as it would be easier to get in. However my other choices would be a mixture of maths and maths with econ so it would be a bit complicated to write a good personal statement.
    Economics is one of the most competive courses at Cambridge. The acceptance rate for Maths is approx 20%. The acceptance rate for Economics is approx 14%.

Apply for, and study, the course you prefer not because it has a higher or lower admissions "difficulty".

Write your PS for the benefit of the other universities - you can write a specific one for Cambridge in the SAQ.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say apply for econ for oxbridge and really emphasize on the quantitative part of econ for your PS, so you can apply for econ&maths elsewere (might be thinking of LSE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Economics is one of the most competive courses at Cambridge. The acceptance rate for Maths is approx 20%. The acceptance rate for Economics is approx 14%.

Apply for, and study, the course you prefer not because it has a higher or lower admissions "difficulty".

Write your PS for the benefit of the other universities - you can write a specific one for Cambridge in the SAQ.
    Acceptance rate tells you very little about how competitive a course is or how difficult it is to get in, as it doesn't take into account the quality of applicants. If you're someone who's very good at maths who also has some interest in economics, it is undoubtedly easier to get a Cambridge place to read Economics than it is for Maths.

For the OP: there's no 'Mathematics and Economics' course at Cambridge but the Economics course is said to be pretty quantitative, more so than elsewhere. I'd advise you to check out the course in more detail to see if it's mathsy enough for your liking though - some of the questions in the first year 'quantitative methods' paper (here; page 13 onwards) are no harder than A-level C3/C4/S2 :rolleyes:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    Acceptance rate tells you very little about how competitive a course is or how difficult it is to get in, as it doesn't take into account the quality of applicants. If you're someone who's very good at maths who also has some interest in economics, it is undoubtedly easier to get a Cambridge place to read Economics than it is for Maths.
    No. I could have quoted offer rates but that would be heavily skewed by STEP.

Attachment 676356

Considering they both have an A*A*A requirement and they have similar numbers of applicants I think it's absolutely fair to say Economics is more competitive than Maths at Cambridge.

You would need to have more than "some interest" to get an Economics offer....

Also Economics Applicants/Offers/Acceptances consistently have a higher average UMS profile than Mathmos.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...and%20data.pdf

PS. Don't roll your eyes at other courses - it's not very becoming...

ReputationRep:
    You can't do straight Economics at Oxford. I realise you posted this in a Cambridge forum, but your title is 'Oxbridge' and you mention Oxford. At Oxford you can only do it with History, Management or with Politics and Philosophy ('PPE').

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.