Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it better to buy books at a bookshop sometimes? Watch

Announcements

Do you buy books on amazon because they are cheaper? What will happent to nice independent book shops if we don't shop there sometimes? There are a couple of interesting books I've seen in this nice bookshop near me and they are about £10 and when I looked on amazon they are about £8 including postage. Do you think it's better to pay a little bit more to support small bookshops even if it's just once in a while. The staff are also nice and they have such interesting books in there and in the display window, like they really put in effort. Or, should bookshops try to lower their prices?

ReputationRep:
    Some bookshops will charge too much, but Amazon is always going to be able to sell things for cheaper because they have the benefits of scale, tax dodging and treating their employees like crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you buy books on amazon because they are cheaper? What will happent to nice independent book shops if we don't shop there sometimes? There are a couple of interesting books I've seen in this nice bookshop near me and they are about £10 and when I looked on amazon they are about £8 including postage. Do you think it's better to pay a little bit more to support small bookshops even if it's just once in a while. The staff are also nice and they have such interesting books in there and in the display window, like they really put in effort. Or, should bookshops try to lower their prices?
    That's the nature of capitalism sadly. If shops don't change to meet the needs of their customers then they simply go out of business. I'll always buy my books online if I ever need to, most of the time though I am naughty and just download the pdf file of it online for free.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't tend to buy books off Amazon, mostly because I still need to set up my account, but the book shops still need to make money somehow, however if they are still open they either may or may not be making enough income, so they probably should charge enough to make a profit.
    Bookshops are nice to go into when in town. However the same could also be said for libraries if they're not being used enough too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If I would love to buy a book and it is avalaible in a bookshop and I know I would not be there for a long time, I just buy the book I desire, even if it costs a sum of money.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of independent bookshops find it hard to compete with charity bookshops which have a huge advantage:

"Charity shops benefit from tax concessions under UK tax law because all the profits from a charity shop go to fund the work of the charity, which provides public benefit. Charity shops, therefore, serve a “charitable purpose”.
    Charity shops benefit from exemption from corporation tax on profits, a zero VAT rating on the sale of donated goods and 80% mandatory non-domestic rate relief, on property taxes. This 80% relief is funded by central Government.
    A further 20% rate relief is available at the discretion of local authorities. "

so as well as fighting off Amazon online, the poor independent bookseller must take on Oxfam & other charity bookshops.

ReputationRep:
    I buy used books from Amazon when available (they are always in very good condition ) One book was 1p with £2.80 delivery
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The Cheapskate Cheese I am, I get recommendations or desperate sequels in Waterstones, buy the book in charity shops/2nd hand bookshops, if not there then amazon :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I've had course books from Amazon for 1p [used]. Independent book shops, even Smiths and Waterstones, take too long to deliver and because of the course content they don't hold the books on their shelves, so I tend to use Amazon. End of the academic year a lot of students take their books to the charity shops so I trawl them. Fatbrain is very good for books, buying and selling or if I need an up-to-date one, I go on the book comparison site BookButler to see where is the cheapest place to get them.

ReputationRep:
    I buy from charity shops.

ReputationRep:
    I mostly buy from Amazon as they are cheaper. Or I check work as some people bring books in for others and so I do that instead. I just can't afford places like Waterstones and I don't have any independent shops near me, or at least none that sell books that take my fancy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.