Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it illegal to ride a bike on the pavement? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I have a bike and I often ride on the pavement, most of the time I can ride smoothly without giving other people any trouble but I have hard that it's actually illegal to ride a bike on a pavement and can get fined for it, is this true? If so I might have to start selling my bike.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    So I have a bike and I often ride on the pavement, most of the time I can ride smoothly without giving other people any trouble but I have hard that it's actually illegal to ride a bike on a pavement and can get fined for it, is this true? If so I might have to start selling my bike.
    Are you 6?

I think it's only illegal in london but everywhere else it's fine, I'm only like 85% sure tho x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Are you 6?
    It's six? I thought it was thirteen for some reason XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you 6?
    Nope, I am 16! Why would a six year old kid be in TSR? LOL
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lmacwilliam)
    It's six? I thought it was thirteen for some reason XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Technically it's 10. But even a 10yo shouldn't really be doing it.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/victor...cycle-pavement

ReputationRep:
    It is illegal...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I am 16! Why would a six year old kid be in TSR? LOL
    Why would a 16yo be riding on the pavement? See my link above...

ReputationRep:
    its illegal but as long as you're not racing like a madman and are being cautious of others then the coppers will leave you alone - same way they leave people alone who are smoking the erbb

ReputationRep:
    Why would a 16yo be riding on the pavement? See my link above...
    Because riding on the roads is not safe, for me at least

So it's true, it's actually illegal? Wow I actually don't care and will still ride on the pavement but not like a madman obviously, I would rather get fined by the cops than riding on the road where I can injure myself or even worse get killed. I will simply make sure that there are no cops nearby when I am riding my bike
    Just screw this law.

ReputationRep:
    Technically yes, except for shared use paths. Enforcement is iffy, you might get pulled aside for it in the city and maybe some towns, perhaps only in busy areas, but other than that you'd likely be fine as long as you aren't causing issues.

I mean, realistically safety takes priority. At 16, I doubt you'd get any trouble unless you come across a p*ssy officer, or if you're causing problems. By law, bycylces are considered carriages (I believe this is a consequence of a court case back in the 1870's, or somewhere around that time), and there's an old law from the 1800's that makes it illegal for carriages to use footways (the pavement is considered a footway). It's one of those laws really, it's there, but it's not necessarily enforced.

ReputationRep:
    Because riding on the roads is not safe, for me at least

So it's true, it's actually illegal? Wow I actually don't care and will still ride on the pavement but not like a madman obviously, I would rather get fined by the cops than riding on the road where I can injure myself or even worse get killed. I will simply make sure that there are no cops nearby when I am riding my bike
    Just screw this law.
    there are plenty of dangers being on the pavement too... aside from the fact you put other people at risk (you can be as careful as you like, young children/animals will move around as they see fit and could be hit by you easily), crossing side roads/driveways puts you at risk as people don't expect something moving as fast as a bike to pass

ReputationRep:
    Police in the UK tend to only enforce that law if people are cycling dangerously, or they're approaching a crowd or seeming to intimidate others. I know one person who got fined for riding her bike down a busy shopping street's pavement, but if it's a quiet road and they leaving plenty of space for pedestrians, the police don't tend to stop them.

If cyclists are on the pavement, it's probably because the roads are too dangerous for them. However, that doesn't mean that they should treat pavements like they've got right of way there. Pedestrians have priority, and there's a £30 to £5000 fine for forgetting that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.