The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by The RAR
So I have a bike and I often ride on the pavement, most of the time I can ride smoothly without giving other people any trouble but I have hard that it's actually illegal to ride a bike on a pavement and can get fined for it, is this true? If so I might have to start selling my bike.

Are you 6?
I think it's only illegal in london but everywhere else it's fine, I'm only like 85% sure tho x
Original post by Doonesbury
Are you 6?

It's six? I thought it was thirteen for some reason XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Are you 6?

Nope, I am 16! Why would a six year old kid be in TSR? LOL
Reply 5
Original post by Lmacwilliam
It's six? I thought it was thirteen for some reason XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically it's 10. But even a 10yo shouldn't really be doing it.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/victoria-hazael/children-cycle-pavement
Original post by The RAR
So I have a bike and I often ride on the pavement, most of the time I can ride smoothly without giving other people any trouble but I have hard that it's actually illegal to ride a bike on a pavement and can get fined for it, is this true? If so I might have to start selling my bike.

It is illegal...
Reply 7
Original post by The RAR
Nope, I am 16! Why would a six year old kid be in TSR? LOL

Why would a 16yo be riding on the pavement? See my link above...
its illegal but as long as you're not racing like a madman and are being cautious of others then the coppers will leave you alone - same way they leave people alone who are smoking the erbb
Reply 9
Why would a 16yo be riding on the pavement? See my link above...

Because riding on the roads is not safe, for me at least

So it's true, it's actually illegal? Wow I actually don't care and will still ride on the pavement but not like a madman obviously, I would rather get fined by the cops than riding on the road where I can injure myself or even worse get killed. I will simply make sure that there are no cops nearby when I am riding my bike:smile:
Just screw this law.
(edited 6 years ago)
Technically yes, except for shared use paths. Enforcement is iffy, you might get pulled aside for it in the city and maybe some towns, perhaps only in busy areas, but other than that you'd likely be fine as long as you aren't causing issues.

I mean, realistically safety takes priority. At 16, I doubt you'd get any trouble unless you come across a p*ssy officer, or if you're causing problems. By law, bycylces are considered carriages (I believe this is a consequence of a court case back in the 1870's, or somewhere around that time), and there's an old law from the 1800's that makes it illegal for carriages to use footways (the pavement is considered a footway). It's one of those laws really, it's there, but it's not necessarily enforced.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by The RAR

So it's true, it's actually illegal? Wow I actually don't care and will still ride on the pavement but not like a madman obviously, I would rather get fined by the cops than riding on the road where I can injure myself or even worse get killed. I will simply make sure that there are no cops nearby when I am riding my bike:smile:
Just screw this law.

there are plenty of dangers being on the pavement too... aside from the fact you put other people at risk (you can be as careful as you like, young children/animals will move around as they see fit and could be hit by you easily), crossing side roads/driveways puts you at risk as people don't expect something moving as fast as a bike to pass
Police in the UK tend to only enforce that law if people are cycling dangerously, or they're approaching a crowd or seeming to intimidate others. I know one person who got fined for riding her bike down a busy shopping street's pavement, but if it's a quiet road and they leaving plenty of space for pedestrians, the police don't tend to stop them.

If cyclists are on the pavement, it's probably because the roads are too dangerous for them. However, that doesn't mean that they should treat pavements like they've got right of way there. Pedestrians have priority, and there's a £30 to £5000 fine for forgetting that.
Original post by The RAR

Yes riding on the path is technically illegal. However, it's unlikely the police will pull you over if they see you riding on the path. And even if they did they'll just tell you to get off and walk it probably. If however you're riding through a pedestranised area like a town centre and doing so dangerously, then they'll have a few stern words if you're caught and maybe if they get really assy a possible fine.

I can understand why people do ride nowadays though on paths, as the roads are getting busier, drivers more impatient, and cars going faster. Do what you feel is best for you, just be careful out there.
Original post by Sammy Boy 27
Yes riding on the path is technically illegal. However, it's unlikely the police will pull you over if they see you riding on the path. And even if they did they'll just tell you to get off and walk it probably. If however you're riding through a pedestranised area like a town centre and doing so dangerously, then they'll have a few stern words if you're caught and maybe if they get really assy a possible fine.

I can understand why people do ride nowadays though on paths, as the roads are getting busier, drivers more impatient, and cars going faster. Do what you feel is best for you, just be careful out there.

Thread is a year old....
Original post by Andrew97
Thread is a year old....

Better late then never.. 😂
It cant be illegal, I've never got arrested or fined for it when I used a bike or scooter. Stopped and questioned, sure lol. But then I do it anyway :colone:

It's more dangerous to ride the bike or scooter in the fekking road innit?
Yeah I guess it is more dangerous, but the law states cyclists should ride in the road. If you did crash into a young child or an elderly person at quite a speed it could potentially kill them. Then again, if you cycle in the road and a ton of metal hits you then it could potentially kill you. Guess cyclists just can’t win.
Original post by The RAR

Just screw this law.

"screw this law"

maybe you should stop being a fanny and ride on the road like everyone else

are you 5 lmfao
Reply 19
Original post by billyskip292
"screw this law"

maybe you should stop being a fanny and ride on the road like everyone else

are you 5 lmfao

Don't know where you live but I see lots of teenagers around my area riding on the pavement. I would rather be called a Franny than ride on the road where people drive like crazy at high speed

Latest

Trending

Trending