Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

16 and I want to move out Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically I'm 16 and I'm currently really really struggling. I have depression and suicidal thoughts. I live with my parents who make me feel worthless. Sometimes they are fine, but a lot of the time they make me feel really guilty about small things and they are constantly making me feel like I'm not good enough, for example if I forget to do one thing they will laugh at me, they will then tell me I'm stupid, and it's typical of me to be unorganised, why can't I be more organised? Why can't I be like everyone else? They will ask me. And for the rest of the day I will ask myself the same question, why can't I be like everyone else, why am I so stupid, why am I such a waste of space, then I realise all I actually did was forget to do 1 simple task out of the ten other tasks I completed.
    They are also always arguing with each other and putting me in the middle of the arguments, they only talk to me about each other, if I disagree I will be shouted at, and made to feel guilty again. Sometimes when these arguements get out of hand (smashing glasses, slamming surfaces... ) I will come down and have to stop the argument, but then I will just be shouted at again.
    I just don't know what to do, do I move out? How do I move out? Do I runaway?
    I can't last another 2 years living like this, I need to cut myself off from them completely, I just don't know how.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by AKB2000)
    So basically I'm 16 and I'm currently really really struggling. I have depression and suicidal thoughts. I live with my parents who make me feel worthless. Sometimes they are fine, but a lot of the time they make me feel really guilty about small things and they are constantly making me feel like I'm not good enough, for example if I forget to do one thing they will laugh at me, they will then tell me I'm stupid, and it's typical of me to be unorganised, why can't I be more organised? Why can't I be like everyone else? They will ask me. And for the rest of the day I will ask myself the same question, why can't I be like everyone else, why am I so stupid, why am I such a waste of space, then I realise all I actually did was forget to do 1 simple task out of the ten other tasks I completed.
    They are also always arguing with each other and putting me in the middle of the arguments, they only talk to me about each other, if I disagree I will be shouted at, and made to feel guilty again. Sometimes when these arguements get out of hand (smashing glasses, slamming surfaces... ) I will come down and have to stop the argument, but then I will just be shouted at again.
    I just don't know what to do, do I move out? How do I move out? Do I runaway?
    I can't last another 2 years living like this, I need to cut myself off from them completely, I just don't know how.

If you need to just rant and speak to someone confidential
    Childline 0800 111
    Samaritans 116 123.

You can also talk to the teacher or school counselor.

You can legally leave home when you are 16 unless there are specific risks about your health and safety.

If you seriously wish to do so then talk to your GP and in turn contact your local social services who are under a duty to support you. that may be helping you to find a place in a hostel.

If you get SS involved almost certainly your parents will go ballistic and if you leave they could want nothing more to do with you, so think carefully about your next step.

I totally feel, darling. I'm 16 and in a frighteningly similar situation. I had the police, social services and school involved, begging them to find a way to get me out but each time my parents would manipulate everything into going their way. I got locked in my house for months, no phone or internet, no contact from the outside world at all. I was ready to declare myself homeless and live in a stranger's house through this homeless charity. I live in a part of the UK where you can't move out until 18 so I'm still stuck here, although in a better situation than the one I just described.

I talked to people at my school's 'pupil support centre' where all the troubled kids went. The people in there helped me with everything that happened in my personal life that I couldn't cope with. Schools have wonderful connections for young people; they can contact social services or the police for you or get in touch with charities like mine did. I wasn't so lucky, but hopefully it'll work for you. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I totally feel, darling. I'm 16 and in a frighteningly similar situation. I had the police, social services and school involved, begging them to find a way to get me out but each time my parents would manipulate everything into going their way. I got locked in my house for months, no phone or internet, no contact from the outside world at all. I was ready to declare myself homeless and live in a stranger's house through this homeless charity. I live in a part of the UK where you can't move out until 18 so I'm still stuck here, although in a better situation than the one I just described.

I talked to people at my school's 'pupil support centre' where all the troubled kids went. The people in there helped me with everything that happened in my personal life that I couldn't cope with. Schools have wonderful connections for young people; they can contact social services or the police for you or get in touch with charities like mine did. I wasn't so lucky, but hopefully it'll work for you. Good luck.
    Okay thanks I might reach out to my school then, and I hope some how everything works out for both of us

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.