Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could I be a therapist or councillor with a mental health nursing degree? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I thought I wanted to study mental health nursing. I haven't applied yet, but this year I've been working in a care home for people with dementia, and also volunteering with Samaritans, which involves talking people down from suicide and listening to their mental health and life problems. It occurs to me that I adore my volunteer work and that's the kind of job I want to be doing for a living. Working in the care home I love the parts where I talk to the residents and help them through their confusion, but the bulk of the job is medication, making beds, personal care for them. I've realised I'm much more interested and enjoy the talking side of things, and am very interested in psychology as a subject.

I'm 27 and I feel like I've left it all a bit late. I know it can take over six years to study psychotherapy. However a mental health nursing degree will take me three years and is more hands on. I suppose I want to know, with a mental health nursing degree how much will I learn about specific mental illnesses and how to help people with them? Will I be able to go into counselling straight from there? How much of mental health nursing is counselling, and are there parts of the job that include it? I just don't know if I want to work on wards like this long term. I prefer one on one with patients and really getting to talk to them and getting to know them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.