Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that I am really interested in the modules in both courses, and luckily there is something called "Law and Politics" which exists, but will I be able to obtain a law degree in "Law and Politics"?

I hear there are several topics you must complete for a law degree, but what if you don't choose those in "Law and Politics"? Has anyone tried the course? Would love to hear from you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The structure of legal qualification for solicitors is changing and the need to earn a qualifying law degree (QLD) will soon no longer be necessary.

That said, there are some courses that would allow you to combined the two and still earn a QLD - Kings College London has their Politics, Philosophy, and Law programme, while I believe Hull has a Law and Legislative Studies programme (which includes a placement in the House of Commons). Several "combined honours" type courses can allow you to achieve QLD status (which is strictly speaking more than just taking the specific modules in those topics), such as I believe Keele if you study "Law with..." courses (i.e. taking the other subject, in your case politics, as a minor subject with law as the major subject).

Studying Law isn't even strictly speaking necessary if you're just interested in the intellectual foundations of law and how these apply to e.g. legislation - you only really need/ought to study law if you intend on becoming a practicing solicitor or barrister. Courses such as PPE and similar allow usually allow you take options in e.g. Jurisprudence if that is of interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    The structure of legal qualification for solicitors is changing and the need to earn a qualifying law degree (QLD) will soon no longer be necessary.

That said, there are some courses that would allow you to combined the two and still earn a QLD - Kings College London has their Politics, Philosophy, and Law programme, while I believe Hull has a Law and Legislative Studies programme (which includes a placement in the House of Commons). Several "combined honours" type courses can allow you to achieve QLD status (which is strictly speaking more than just taking the specific modules in those topics), such as I believe Keele if you study "Law with..." courses (i.e. taking the other subject, in your case politics, as a minor subject with law as the major subject).

Studying Law isn't even strictly speaking necessary if you're just interested in the intellectual foundations of law and how these apply to e.g. legislation - you only really need/ought to study law if you intend on becoming a practicing solicitor or barrister. Courses such as PPE and similar allow usually allow you take options in e.g. Jurisprudence if that is of interest.
    First is contentious. While technically not needed, it is advantageous for those sitting the mega-exam to have previously studied law.

Second is wrong. There are many people interested in the intellectual features of the common law system, chiefly academics and budding academics. A module in jurisprudence does not quite satiate those people. The law is intellectual outside the philosophy of law -- for example, understanding trusts or agency satisfies intellectual interests.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...with-politics/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.