Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism, are we actually equal? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start this off by saying Feminism is equality for BOTH genders, it is not "man hating" the only reason why people believe this is because the only extreme cases reach the media which often are just man hating protests. In my opinion we are still not equal even in first world countries. Just an example some people may recognise if a boy takes control of a group he's a leader, if a girl does the same she is bossy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we are equal.

ReputationRep:
    i think in the first world inequalities are more subtle and not as harmful, just annoying. equally, there are two sides to every coin so if one end of the gender spectrum is having issues the other end could well have contrasting ones. it's all a balancing act really.

ReputationRep:
    As women we now enjoy equal rights to men. It's the social inequalities that still effect us, but to be honest they also have a negative impact on men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKB2000)
    I'm going to start this off by saying Feminism is equality for BOTH genders, it is not "man hating" the only reason why people believe this is because the only extreme cases reach the media which often are just man hating protests. In my opinion we are still not equal even in first world countries. Just an example some people may recognise if a boy takes control of a group he's a leader, if a girl does the same she is bossy.
    Women are treated equal to men if not better. The wage gap doesn't exist, you don't have military service, you can have kids, you have maternity leave for far longer and you earn more in your early twenties than men. You have far lighter criminal sentences and you are far more likely win custody of children. In case of a divorce you get the house. Men are also 5 times more likely to die at work than women.

But okay, I'll give you the bossy thing, because that isn't a huge generalization and factually incorrect for those above the age of four.

ReputationRep:
    Just an example some people may recognise if a boy takes control of a group he's a leader, if a girl does the same she is bossy.
    Honestly, who even thinks that?

If you want to have use a ridiculous example then there are plenty of examples showing inequality against men. For instance, when a guy makes fun of a woman's body it is called body-shaming, but when you have a girl making fun of Andrew in accounts for his weight then it is just a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azman Rahman)
    Women are treated equal to men if not better. The wage gap doesn't exist, you don't have military service, you can have kids, you have maternity leave for far longer and you earn more in your early twenties than men. You have far lighter criminal sentences and you are far more likely win custody of children. In case of a divorce you get the house. Men are also 5 times more likely to die at work than women.

But okay, I'll give you the bossy thing, because that isn't a huge generalization and factually incorrect for those above the age of four.
    U r an actual don, basically shutdown this BS thread. Lockoff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burnheal131)
    Honestly, who even thinks that?

If you want to have use a ridiculous example then there are plenty of examples showing inequality against men. For instance, when a guy makes fun of a woman's body it is called body-shaming, but when you have a girl making fun of Andrew in accounts for his weight then it is just a joke.
    It was a example showing how societies stereotypes and gender norms are still effecting equality. I agree when it comes to men there are also stereotypes which need to be broken, men are considered pathetic and weak if they cry, I don't think this but generally this stereotype is still around. Like I said, feminism is equality for both genders.

ReputationRep:

OP just got *****slapped :laugh::laugh:

ReputationRep:

Women have longer maternity leave because they give birth to a child, they force a child out of them? So they need recovery time!
    The pay gap is absolutely still a thing, yes it's not as bad, but it's still a thing.
    Lighter criminal sentences? There is no way u can measure that accurately.
    And men are more likely to die at work because women are still not allowed to do jobs which put them at higher risk, that in itself shows we still aren't equal.

I don't think that society has adapted to equality for men and women, societies stereotypes from early time are still around, and we are still trying to break them.
    Men should be allowed to cry without being called weak, women should be allowed to be strong without being called manly.
    I am not man hating. I am simply stating that things still are far from equal. I agree there are some things where women have an advantage, but there are still many more things where men have an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Women have longer maternity leave because they give birth to a child, they force a child out of them? So they need recovery time!
    The pay gap is absolutely still a thing, yes it's not as bad, but it's still a thing.
    Lighter criminal sentences? There is no way u can measure that accurately.
    And men are more likely to die at work because women are still not allowed to do jobs which put them at higher risk, that in itself shows we still aren't equal.

I don't think that society has adapted to equality for men and women, societies stereotypes from early time are still around, and we are still trying to break them.
    Men should be allowed to cry without being called weak, women should be allowed to be strong without being called manly.
    I am not man hating. I am simply stating that things still are far from equal. I agree there are some things where women have an advantage, but there are still many more things where men have an advantage.
    No the pay gap is ********. All statistics used do not consider 1) Men being much more willing to ask for promotions 2) the number of hours worked 3) the fact the men typically go into the highest paying job fields.

If women could be paid 77 cents on the dollar then EVERY SINGLE COMPANY would employ ONLY women because it is cheaper. That is not how it works.

What do you mean we can't accurately measure disparities in prison sentences? There are a massive number of journals pertaining to this. Judges have admitted to giving lighter sentencing to women as well! Take a look at the Oxford girl earlier this year who stabbed her boyfriend with a kitchen knife who faced no jail time because it would "hurt her career prospects".
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    No the pay gap is ********. All statistics used do not consider 1) Men being much more willing to ask for promotions 2) the number of hours worked 3) the fact the men typically go into the highest paying job fields.

If women could be paid 77 cents on the dollar then EVERY SINGLE COMPANY would employ ONLY women because it is cheaper. That is not how it works.

What do you mean we can't accurately measure disparities in prison sentences? There are a massive number of journals pertaining to this. Judges have admitted to giving lighter sentencing to women as well! Take a look at the Oxford girl earlier this year who stabbed her boyfriend with a kitchen knife who faced no jail time because it would "hurt her career prospects".
    Not all the statistics ignore those factors https://www.timeshighereducation.com...421746.article

I saw a BBC article today that said that a female 20 year old is being charged with sexually assaulting a male 14 year old. The comments appalled but did not surprise me. It was a 50/50 split of "the boy's an absolute legend" and "it's still assault regardless." Every single "legend" comment came from a man and the women were the ones on the side of the law. Out of 100s of comments, only one male sided with the courts. Women threw back the comments of "you'd be saying different if this happened to a 14 year old girl" but the men simply said "boys only care about sex at 14 so he probably wanted it." It doesn't matter. He's still a minor and so cannot legally consent.

This is a feminist issue too. Females know that sexual assaults is all too common and we don't want anyone to experience that. Rape culture has been proved to exist today, only with the sexes reversed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Not all the statistics ignore those factors https://www.timeshighereducation.com...421746.article
    Gavin McInnes made an excellent video about this exact study. 1.) does not take into consideration employerer's ability to ask for overtime (it can be more demanded of men than women which is unpaid). 2.) doesn't consider company specific context. Perhaps most of their best staff has been males who dominate this field and are able to expect the same dedication from their new recruits. 3) This cannot be applied to the vast majority of other jobs. Female nurses get paid more than male ones on average and so do elementary teachers. Early twenty year old women ON AVERAGE earn more than their male counterparts.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Gavin McInnes made an excellent video about this exact study. 1.) does not take into consideration employerer's ability to ask for overtime (it can be more demanded of men than women which is unpaid). 2.) doesn't consider company specific context. Perhaps most of their best staff has been males who dominate this field and are able to expect the same dedication from their new recruits. 3) This cannot be applied to the vast majority of other jobs. Female nurses get paid more than male ones on average and so do elementary teachers. Early twenty year old women ON AVERAGE earn more than their male counterparts.
    1) yes it does. The CVs were identical if recruiters are assuming that men will do more unpaid overtime then that's precisely the point. What's in your pants doesn't dictate your work ethic.
    2) yes it does. The cv was sent to academics and was developed by academics.
    4) source? That isn't true in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I saw a BBC article today that said that a female 20 year old is being charged with sexually assaulting a male 14 year old. The comments appalled but did not surprise me. It was a 50/50 split of "the boy's an absolute legend" and "it's still assault regardless." Every single "legend" comment came from a man and the women were the ones on the side of the law. Out of 100s of comments, only one male sided with the courts. Women threw back the comments of "you'd be saying different if this happened to a 14 year old girl" but the men simply said "boys only care about sex at 14 so he probably wanted it." It doesn't matter. He's still a minor and so cannot legally consent.

This is a feminist issue too. Females know that sexual assaults is all too common and we don't want anyone to experience that. Rape culture has been proved to exist today, only with the sexes reversed.
    Rape culture most certainly doesn't exist. Give me a single bit of irrefutable evidence for it. If a guy rapes a girl he is going to jail and his life is over. If a guy tells he was raped by a girl (blackmailed etc not physically overpowering) then he is the one looked down upon and laughed at whilst suffering enormous embarrassment. There are so many examples of women claiming some guy raped her that proved to be false and ended up runing lives as she was given the benefit of the doubt. Link me this article please. You also have to be aware that people commenting online are not usually the most mature people out there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    1) yes it does. The CVs were identical if recruiters are assuming that men will do more unpaid overtime then that's precisely the point. What's in your pants doesn't dictate your work ethic.
    2) yes it does. The cv was sent to academics and was developed by academics.
    4) source? That isn't true in the UK.
    1.) Think about this more carefully. If from experience, men are able to be demanded more unpaid overtime or are WILLING to work more overtime (vast majority overtime hours are worked by men) is that an unjust reason to pay them marginally more? If anything it adds to the social norm of not demanding women to work beyond their contractual requirements.

2.) Just because it is conducted by academics does not mean its conclusions encompass all possible factors. The isolated study does not take into consideration a number of different factors which I have just stated and is better outlined in the aforementioned video (interning rn, can't find it on the spot).

3) (Yes you skipped 3) This holds most true for people in the U.K. https://qz.com/149428/mens-overtime-...pay-gap-alive/

I can link you guardian and telegraph articles if you'd prefer them

ReputationRep:

Every cases' circumstances are different so u cannot possibly measure this! A persons charge depends on the type of judge they get, the type of crime they commit, the attitude of the convict in the courtroom, the background information for each case.
    No one gets away with cold blood murder in a courtroom! There must have been other very crucial information in this case u have decided to leave out! Most often a "murder" which gives the convict no time is an act of serious self defence! There are many cases where men get away with things because "boys will be boys".
    Yes men and women are paid the same once they get to the same level, but currently men are still in higher paid positions causing a pay gap! This is because society still thinks that men in families should be the breadwinners and the women are still expected to be the housewife, I know we are steering away from this and there are Many exceptions but this is what feminism is changing!

ReputationRep:
    Rape culture most certainly doesn't exist. Give me a single bit of irrefutable evidence for it. If a guy rapes a girl he is going to jail and his life is over. If a guy tells he was raped by a girl (blackmailed etc not physically overpowering) then he is the one looked down upon and laughed at whilst suffering enormous embarrassment. There are so many examples of women claiming some guy raped her that proved to be false and ended up runing lives as she was given the benefit of the doubt. Link me this article please. You also have to be aware that people commenting online are not usually the most mature people out there...
    This is wrong, but like I said at the start feminism is equality for BOTH genders, that means it most certainly does not support that at all, it's unfair that whenever there is a real issue with women being unequal things like this are thrown back, both are wrong but we don't do that whenever men are expressing that they feel their problems as well. Just because there is another issue doesn't make the first one ANY LESS IMPORTANT. It's like someone saying I'm hungry and another person saying they are thirsty, so that person can't say they're hungry because the other person is thirsty. And at the end of the day neither problems are solved.

ReputationRep:
    Every cases' circumstances are different so u cannot possibly measure this! A persons charge depends on the type of judge they get, the type of crime they commit, the attitude of the convict in the courtroom, the background information for each case.
    No one gets away with cold blood murder in a courtroom! There must have been other very crucial information in this case u have decided to leave out! Most often a "murder" which gives the convict no time is an act of serious self defence! There are many cases where men get away with things because "boys will be boys".
    Yes men and women are paid the same once they get to the same level, but currently men are still in higher paid positions causing a pay gap! This is because society still thinks that men in families should be the breadwinners and the women are still expected to be the housewife, I know we are steering away from this and there are Many exceptions but this is what feminism is changing!
    If a man is a high position getting a high pay and a woman in a "lesser" position getting less pay, that is not a pay gap. You simply don't pay someone the same amount of money if they are in two different positions where one requires more skills and qualifications than the other. That is ridiculous. No economist with any credibility suggests there is a gender pay gap, it has been a long-standing myth from the feminist lobby for a number of years now and it is about time we flushed it down the toilet.

Additionally, gender differences in sentencing outcomes has been long established in the fields of law and psychology.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.