Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism, are we actually equal? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azman Rahman)
    1.) Think about this more carefully. If from experience, men are able to be demanded more unpaid overtime or are WILLING to work more overtime (vast majority overtime hours are worked by men) is that an unjust reason to pay them marginally more? If anything it adds to the social norm of not demanding women to work beyond their contractual requirements.

2.) Just because it is conducted by academics does not mean its conclusions encompass all possible factors. The isolated study does not take into consideration a number of different factors which I have just stated and is better outlined in the aforementioned video (interning rn, can't find it on the spot).

3) (Yes you skipped 3) This holds most true for people in the U.K. https://qz.com/149428/mens-overtime-...pay-gap-alive/

I can link you guardian and telegraph articles if you'd prefer them
    Ur whole arguement is based on the fact men are more likely to work overtime unpaid so ALL men should get paid more? Many women are also happy to work overtime unpaid, my mum does, we should pay people depending on their individual merit, not ur stereotypes based on some stats u found somewhere online.

ReputationRep:
    If it was equality for both genders, it would be called equalisism, not feminism. Everybody knows that women aren't treated equally everywhere but then again, nobody is because equality simply doesn't exist (as awful as that sounds)
    (Original post by AKB2000)
    I'm going to start this off by saying Feminism is equality for BOTH genders, it is not "man hating" the only reason why people believe this is because the only extreme cases reach the media which often are just man hating protests. In my opinion we are still not equal even in first world countries. Just an example some people may recognise if a boy takes control of a group he's a leader, if a girl does the same she is bossy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    If a man is a high position getting a high pay and a women in a "lesser" position getting less pay, that is not a pay gap. You simply don't pay someone the same amount of money if they are two different positions where one requires for skills and qualifications than the other. That is ridiculous. No economist with any credibility suggests there is a gender pay gap, it has been a long-standing myth from the feminist lobby for a number of years now and it is about time we flushed it down the toilet.

Additionally, gender differences in sentencing outcomes has been long established in the fields of law and psychology.
    Not what I said at all. I said that the reason why men are typically in higher positions is because of societies stereotypes. This causes a pay gap. A pay gap is the difference between men and women's wages, which there obviously is.

And once again I will say that u cannot compare sentencing time, there may be stats, but each individual case is different, u are being nieve in looking at the stats in a black and white way and ignoring the extremely important colour in this scenario. There are also stats that show generally men commit more crime than women, and when women commit a crime it is often in self defence which causes their sentences to be significantly lower for a charge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa.Williams)
    If it was equality for both genders, it would be called equalisism, not feminism. Everybody knows that women aren't treated equally everywhere but then again, nobody is because equality simply doesn't exist (as awful as that sounds)
    Despite the name, the actual definition of feminism is "The advocacy of womens rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes" which many would agree means on the ground of the equality of both genders.

ReputationRep:
    Not what I said at all. I said that the reason why men are typically in higher positions is because of societies stereotypes. This causes a pay gap. A pay gap is the difference between men and women's wages, which there obviously is.

And once again I will say that u cannot compare sentencing time, there may be stats, but each individual case is different, u are being nieve in looking at the stats in a black and white way and ignoring the extremely important colour in this scenario. There are also stats that show generally men commit more crime than women, and when women commit a crime it is often in self defence which causes their sentences to be significantly lower for a charge.
    That pay gap exists because women tend to occupy lower paying jobs, how is that a problem? If women want to earn more then they should seek higher paying roles. If they have the skills and qualifications then there is nothing stopping them from doing so.

The research in the field actually takes men and women who have committed similar or the same crime and takes those men and women who have actually been convicted and then looks at the sentencing of both males and females; and the large majority of the literature suggests that women receive less severe sentences than males who have committed similar or the same crimes. There are currently a number of theories out there as to why this is, but nothing conclusive yet. However, the fact still remains women are more likely to receive lesser sentences than men for the same crimes. We are not comparing males and females who commit different crimes otherwise the statistical analysis would be useless. I can point you in the direction of a number of journal articles that find this result.

ReputationRep:
    not in third world countries but in first world countries yes, definitely - so how about people start worrying about the women who are actually oppressed.

ReputationRep:
    Pikachu.

ReputationRep:
    Despite the name, the actual definition of feminism is "The advocacy of womens rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes" which many would agree means on the ground of the equality of both genders.
    While that is the definition of feminism, that is not how a lot of feminists like to carry out the movement.

I'm going to start this off by saying Feminism is equality for BOTH genders, it is not "man hating" the only reason why people believe this is because the only extreme cases reach the media which often are just man hating protests. In my opinion we are still not equal even in first world countries. Just an example some people may recognise if a boy takes control of a group he's a leader, if a girl does the same she is bossy.
    As a man I totally agree with you. My disagreement is only against the few extemists who lurk behind this identity of feminism seeking vengeance against men. But yes, you are correct, there is a little bit of inequality here and there. But we have come a long way since the turn of the previous century. The law is now for gender equality and with the help of media any remenants of gender inequality will be challenged. Time is a great healer of wounds. True feminists have nothing much to challenge in our western civilisation, the true fight for equality lies in the east.

ReputationRep:
    Not in islamic ****holes, china or africa (maybe, not sure about this), but in the west they're treated equally

ReputationRep:
    Of course, i fully understand that. My point is that feminists in places such as the UK clearly don't have the idea of equality at their core simply because women and men are equal in terms of legal rights. The title given to the definition portrays a sense of segregation itself - surely, if equality was the main purpose of this, the title would be labelled as equalisism in the sense that everybody should be equal based on the principles of being human - not men and women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsar101)
    As a man I totally agree with you. My disagreement is only against the few extemists who lurk behind this identity of feminism seeking vengeance against men. But yes, you are correct, there is a little bit of inequality here and there. But we have come a long way since the turn of the previous century. The law is now for gender equality and with the help of media any remenants of gender inequality will be challenged. Time is a great healer of wounds. True feminists have nothing much to challenge in our western civilisation, the true fight for equality lies in the east.
    You are absolutely correct in that our resources should be focused on those women in the Middle East who actually being oppressed. However, it is a touchy subject as calling out the backward ideology of Islam and how it oppresses women is highly controversial and so prevents real change from happening.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

According to sections of the law. In reality no.

Also, I have to ask people going on about 'what about women third-world countries!!!1' what exactly are they doing for women in third-world countries?

Exactly, **** all. Just like the feminists you complain about. :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Nathan Scott)
    whatever you say sweaty
    *sweety

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    While that is the definition of feminism, that is not how a lot of feminists like to carry out the movement.
    How do u know that? Do u know a load of feminists? I'm not really against u because at the end of the day we both want equality but only have a difference in opinion in our current status. However most of the feminists everyone hears about are not actually feminists and are just hiding behind the word to spread their hate for men. Which is wrong and annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsar101)
    Fair I agree, but I do think for most of us who obvs can't really make a difference in the east we should continue to challenge societies inequalities and stereotypes where we can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan Scott)
    not in third world countries but in first world countries yes, definitely - so how about people start worrying about the women who are actually oppressed.
    How? In ideology absolutely we need to fight 3rd world countries oppressing women, but how on earth can we do that? So as I cannot just hop on a plane to the east and start protesting, I am simply displaying my view across on the student room, there is defo social inequities still around for both genders that we have the ability to change

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is a scourge to society, feminism is not about equality but rather about giving women priviledges and specifically advancing their positions in the fields that they desire. Also feminism perpetuates invalid views, accusations and narrative about men because of their anti male mentality and agenda. The pay gap is absolute b.s, which proves among the other lies which they perpetuate that feminists are deliberately making false assertions which have no substance in order to justify policies that they want which advance women and disadvantage men. They are constantly demanding that women be placed in the main role of series and films even in roles where the character was meant to be a man, feminists are absolutely vile because of this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think we're equal. I also don't think some men are equal to other men, some men are equal to some women etc. However, I do think we should be treated equally regardless as we're all human.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Feminism is a scourge to society, feminism is not about equality but rather about giving women priviledges and specifically advancing their positions in the fields that they desire. Also feminism perpetuates invalid views, accusations and narrative about men because of their anti male mentality and agenda. The pay gap is absolute b.s, which proves among the other lies which they perpetuate that feminists are deliberately making false assertions which have no substance in order to justify policies that they want which advance women and disadvantage men. They are constantly demanding that women be placed in the main role of series and films even in roles where the character was meant to be a man, feminists are absolutely vile because of this. It proves that if you give women basic rights then they will use it to demand more priviledges for women and policies which advance women specifically and which are based on their anti male narratives.
    Wow u must know a lot of feminists to have made this conclusion, oh, or, or wait, has that? Yes well done for not thinking for yourself and consuming media, perfect example of the hyperdermic needle theorem. Roles should not be "built for men", I can't think of any roles in any films where a woman could not fill it! The same goes with men in women roles. But I guess that's because I'm an open minded (feminist) who believes that people can express and be how they want to be without societies bs gender roles.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.